Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CapriSun Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2006, 04:24 AM
    New washing machine causing sewer back up?
    Just under a month ago, my Mom and step-father gifted us with a new washer and dryer. The washer we had was approximately 13-14 years old, and while working mostly fine, I think was probably on it's last legs.

While using the old washer, we would (for the last several months) have to shut it off for a bit during the draining portions of the cycle, as the drain in our basement floor (the washer is located on the main floor) would burble and back up if we did not shut if off in time. After it rested a bit, we would resume the cycle and water wouldn't back up.

Since using the new washer, the problem has increased to where water is now leaking out of the pipe against the wall in the basement. My husband thought he heard something, but couldn't actually see anything until Friday when he pulled a bunch of stuff out of the tiny closet the pipes are in and discovered wet everything ---- carpet, pillows that were there, boxes, etc. :( Now we are afraid to run the washer (a serious problem with 3 children in the family), and don't know what to do. Yes, the obvious solution would be to call a plumber, but we don't have the money for a major repair, and I just know that the labor would be hideous on this job due to the location of the pipes. We want to try all that we can to fix this ourselves.

Our first course of action is to dump root killer down the toilet tonight. There is a large tree growing perhaps 5' away from our sewer, and the branches spread out to where they hang over the sewer, so surely the roots are that direction as well. (Thanks to the squirrel that planted a nut there years and years ago; we should have removed it when it was still a stick!). We are going to try running small laundry loads in warm water (this was mentioned in an article my husband found online, something about cold water running like maple syrup through pipes in the winter?). My other option at this point is to stand at the washer and turn it off periodically during the draining portions of the cycle. :(

We have had the drain augered a couple of times since we moved in, once when I dumped potato peels down the disposal and another time). Feminine products aren't flushed, but we do use flushable wipes several times a day. Could those be causing a problem? Is there another course of action to take besides what I've mentioned above? I just don't know what to do here, and frankly both my husband and I feel like breaking into tears (or lots of cursing) about this. It's just "one more thing" we don't need, you know?

Our house was built in 1928, and the pipes are cast iron, at least the ones we have not had replaced over the 11 years we've lived here.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice,

Tami
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 5, 2006, 06:21 AM
    Good morning Tami,

"While using the old washer, we would (for the last several months) have to shut it off for a bit during the draining portions of the cycle, as the drain in our basement floor (the washer is located on the main floor) would burble and back up if we did not shut if off in time. After it rested a bit, we would resume the cycle and water wouldn't back up. Since using the new washer, the problem has increased to where water is now leaking out of the pipe against the wall in the basement "

You have just described a partial blockage. With the new washer, the pump is stronger, so you get more water faster but the clog remains backing up more water. The first thing you must do is determine exactly just where the clog is, in you house drain or the sewer line to the (1) street or (2) a septic tank. (Pick one and let me know what it is).
    Most plumbers in those years left a cleanout next to the house,( It's code now). This cleanout will be found within 18" of the house foundation and brought up to grade. Locate it and open it up. Now cycle the washer and look in the cleanout. If there's water coming out the open clean out the problem's outside the house in the sewer line. If it backs up in the house but the cleanout's clear then you must snake from a roof vent. Locate where the blockage is and I can walk you through the repair if you wish.
    Good luck, Tom

Feb 5, 2006, 02:41 PM
    Thank you very much for your help Tom. We'll do as you described and I'll let you know what the results are.

Feb 5, 2006, 10:05 PM
    We have a problem. Apparently the hex nut that is on top of the sewer clean out is stripped. We've had no luck getting it open. My husband just applied some Liquid Wrench to it, but I don't know how that will work. Any hints/tips on that one?

Thanks.

Feb 6, 2006, 12:11 AM
    My husband thinks that a pipe is broken/cracked; he is convinced of it. I tried to do a small load of wash and the water was immediately leaking. He won't let me dump any clog remover down the pipe because it runs through his office. Is there a way to tell if a pipe is cracked if you can't see it?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2006, 05:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CapriSun
    We have a problem. Apparently the hex nut that is on top of the sewer clean out is stripped. We've had no luck getting it open. My husband just applied some Liquid Wrench to it, but I don't know how that will work. Any hints/tips on that one?

Thanks.
    It is metal? Work it over good with a hammer. You don't want to smash it or bend it, but just flex it enough to break the corrosion. You might try heating it with a torch too, and then quenching it with water. You can also use a chisel or punch near the edge to drive it in the direction it should turn.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 6, 2006, 06:02 AM
    Hi Capri,

The clean out cover is made of brass. When it gets stubborn and refuses to budge I take a hammer and chisel and use it like a impact driver. Make a notch in the cover with the chisel for purchase and see if you can beat it out counterclockwise. As a last resort I take my hammer and beat on the middle until it breaks and take it out in pieces. You can always replace it with a replacement cover.. good luck, Tom
    mike1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

Mar 20, 2007, 10:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CapriSun
    Just under a month ago, my Mom and step-father gifted us with a new washer and dryer. The washer we had was approximately 13-14 years old, and while working mostly fine, I think was probably on it's last legs.

While using the old washer, we would (for the last several months) have to shut it off for a bit during the draining portions of the cycle, as the drain in our basement floor (the washer is located on the main floor) would burble and back up if we did not shut if off in time. After it rested a bit, we would resume the cycle and water wouldn't back up.

Since using the new washer, the problem has increased to where water is now leaking out of the pipe against the wall in the basement. My husband thought he heard something, but couldn't actually see anything until Friday when he pulled a bunch of stuff out of the tiny closet the pipes are in and discovered wet everything ---- carpet, pillows that were there, boxes, etc. :( Now we are afraid to run the washer (a serious problem with 3 children in the family), and don't know what to do. Yes, the obvious solution would be to call a plumber, but we don't have the money for a major repair, and I just know that the labor would be hideous on this job due to the location of the pipes. We want to try all that we can to fix this ourselves.

Our first course of action is to dump root killer down the toilet tonight. There is a large tree growing perhaps 5' away from our sewer, and the branches spread out to where they hang over the sewer, so surely the roots are that direction as well. (Thanks to the squirrel that planted a nut there years and years ago; we should have removed it when it was still a stick!). We are going to try running small laundry loads in warm water (this was mentioned in an article my husband found online, something about cold water running like maple syrup through pipes in the winter?). My other option at this point is to stand at the washer and turn it off periodically during the draining portions of the cycle. :(

We have had the drain augered a couple of times since we moved in, once when I dumped potato peels down the disposal and another time). Feminine products aren't flushed, but we do use flushable wipes several times a day. Could those be causing a problem? Is there another course of action to take besides what I've mentioned above? I just don't know what to do here, and frankly both my husband and I feel like breaking into tears (or lots of cursing) about this. It's just "one more thing" we don't need, you know?

Our house was built in 1928, and the pipes are cast iron, at least the ones we have not had replaced over the 11 years we've lived here.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice,

Tami
    Your drain pipe for the washer is too small.Try drilling a hole through the floor and install a pvc 2inch pipe for a new drain.Have pipe come from upper floor down to basement ,then install a trap and put new pvc drain through your basement wall to outside . BURY DRAIN PIPE AND AT IT'S END WEAR WATER WILL EMPTY OUT DIG A PIT AND FILL WITH GRAVEL .If you live in the country,if in city have pipe empty into the sewer .
    Main problem is your current pipes are not big enough to handle the rapid unloading of the washer it pumps out water faster than pipes can carry it away.
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Jan 30, 2013, 05:29 PM
    Flushing anything down the toilet that was not meant to be flushed will end up causing more problems then they are worth. Those wipes do not disintegrate like toilet tissue does. As a matter of fact, if you were to put one in a bucket of water, it would actually be some time before it fell apart enough to be considered "flushable". Get the entire line snaked out and check the clean out. And don't flush any more wipes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Want to put washing machine in kitchen [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to put a stackable washing machine in my kitchen. From a purely plumbing standpoint how feasible is it to hire a plumber to place hookups in my kitchen for a regular clothes washing machine. Is this something that is reasonable to do in most cases? How much is it likely to cost in...

Washer machine drainage pressure causing leak further down drainpipe? [ 4 Answers ]

The sink and washer drain pipes were rerouted from their original location and I believe it may have sprung a leak behind the wall. The sink has not been connected yet so I can't comment on regular drainage. I've used my washer/dryer a few times already and sometimes the water drains fine, and...

Washing Machine Box [ 10 Answers ]

Greetings. My basement has an overhead Sewer pipe going out to the front. Therefore, if I want a washing machine in the Basement, I have to pump the discharge up and out in some way. Right now, the discharge goes to the sump pump hole and then is pupmed out. I want to install a washing...

Washing machine clog? [ 3 Answers ]

I read another post here about a clog in the washing machine hoses. It makes sense and I understand about having to snake the line. However I have another question. We only have the overflow from the hose in the winter months. I first noticed the leak late last winter. In the spring it went away...

Portable Washing Machine [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All! I just moved into an apartment in New York that has a laundry room in the basement. As I just had a baby, my wife wanted to have at least a small washing machine in the apartment. As there is no place to connect it and the landlord will not change anything, I was wondering if some kind...

View more questions Search