Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nilaix Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2008, 04:23 AM
    Evicting Roommate
    My roommate and I do not get along. He has lived there for a bit less than a month. I asked him to leave since he is not part of the lease. He claims that after two weeks he is a resident of the apartment and he has the right to stay there.
    Is this true? I am a Salt Lake City resident. Thank you in advance.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2008, 05:04 AM
    Yes he is considered a resident just because that is where he is staying.
    You have to give him a written letter 5 days notice then if he doesn't leave you have to go to court and get a court ordered eviction and then the sheriff or constable will evict him when that eviction time is up if he still has not left.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jul 30, 2008, 05:26 AM
    I believe that a 3, 5, 7 or 10 day notice (depending on the state) is only for terminating a tenancy for non-payment of rent or violation of the rules. To terminate a month-to-month tenancy there needs to be at least a 30 day notice (except in Florida, which requires 15 days).

There is a sticky post at the top of the real estate law forum with links to the landlord/tenant laws for all of the states.
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2008, 05:29 AM
    He is not on the lease and most probably not paying rent.
    Whatever you are looking at the eviction dates differ from the list I have.
    Expert

Jul 30, 2008, 05:43 AM
    It doesn't matter whether he is on the lease. As for paying rent, he's been there less than a month. If he didn't pay anything when he moved in then she could give him a non-payment notice immediately but he could cure it by paying. If she wants to terminate his tenancy without him having the chance to cure she has to give a termination notice which is 30 days in most states.
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2008, 06:12 AM
    This is the list I have and any that I have seen are the same
    New Jersey is the only 30 day that I know of
    But by the time you go through the magistrate and all it ends up around 30 days.

http://www.thelpa.com/free/statenoticechart.pdf
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 30, 2008, 06:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    This is the list I have
    That's a great site, but it supports what Lisa said. Those periods are for non payment of rent. As she noted, the roommate has lived there less than a month, so it's a valid assumption that they paid for that month.

To nilaix,

Your roommate is correct, even two weeks is enough to establish residency, so you now have to evict. Since he is not on the lease, then he is YOUR tenant. In the absence of a written lease, he is considered a periodic tenant. Therefore, you can terminate his tenancy with notice equal to one rental period. So if rent is monthly, then tell him TODAY in writing, that you are terminating his tenancy as of 8/31. If he does not leave on or before 8/31, then your next step is to go to court for an eviction order.
    Expert

Jul 30, 2008, 06:30 AM
    Where did that list come from? So far I've found 3 mistakes. NJ is 3 days. NH is 7 days. WI is 5 days.

The general rule for most states is that the notice period for non-payment of rent is 3, 5, 7 or 10 days. The notice period for termination of a tenancy is 30 days. A tenant can cure for non-payment by paying in full. A tenant can't cure a general termination.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 30, 2008, 06:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaB4657
    Where did that list come from? So far I've found 3 mistakes. NJ is 3 days. NH is 7 days. WI is 5 days.
    Whoops, maybe not such a great site.

Shows that its always best to double check the local courts.
    Expert

Jul 30, 2008, 06:40 AM
    ***CORRECTION***

NJ doesn't require any notice. A landlord can immediately file a lawsuit for eviction if rent is not paid when due.

Sorry. :)
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2008, 06:40 AM
    I thought I was reading that wrong about New Jersey cause I remember using that chart for NJ about a month ago and it said Immeidate. Don't know how it got changed but I do admit many sites don't update but the other sites I have seen said the same.
    Expert

Jul 30, 2008, 06:45 AM
    The list isn't too bad but I'd still check the specific state law before taking any action. I've found a couple of "landlord help" sites that had incorrect info.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Evicting a roommate [ 7 Answers ]

How can I evict my boyfriend from my house? He is not on the title to the house or the mortgage. He will not leave on his own, so I need to know what I have to do to get him out. I live in Ohio.

Evicting a roommate [ 4 Answers ]

I rented a room and the roommate has been here a little over a month and I want to give her notice to vacate. Do I give her 30 or 60 days? It was rented on a month to month basis. She says that I have to pay her moving in costs and her moving out costs if I want her to leave. I do not have a...

Evicting roommate [ 4 Answers ]

Greetings folks, About 7 months ago, I rented a room in my house to an old friend that recently came back into my life. He had just started a new job, and was looking for a place to stay. I wrote up a month-to-month contract, and he signed it. Terms were $400 a month due at the end of the...

Evicting roommate [ 3 Answers ]

I have a friend who has been living with her boyfriend for 10 years. He does not pay any bills or rent. His name is not on the lease. My friend lives in Georgia. My friend wants her boyfriend to leave her house. The only problem is that they have children together that live in the house with...

View more questions Search