Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BrianCox123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2009, 12:22 PM
    Can't get bathroom pedestal sink to stop leaking from tail pipe
    We have a pedestal sink and a week ago the pipe that goes into the wall fell apart. It had rusted through. I got the replacement parts (all metal parts) at the hardware store. The pipe that goes into the wall screws into the pipe and has a plastic washer. It sealed tight - no problem. Then the P Trap screws into the pipe that goes into the pipe that goes into the wall. Same thing - the P Trap screws into the pipe that goes into the wall and there is a plastic washer. Those two screw into each other and they seal tight. Then the P Trap just slides over a metal 6 inch piece that is over the plastic tail pipe that goes directly up to the basin underside of the sink. This P Trap has a screw cap on the part that slides over the plastic pipe to the basin but I have tried plastic washer and rubber washer and I have made sure I hand tightened it and then a quarter turn more, but after 10 tries it still leaks water out of this part, which is the only part that does not screw into another pipe. What do I need to do? Please help!
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Jan 2, 2009, 12:32 PM

I have read this 3 times... can't picture it! Lol
    Can u post a pic?
    BrianCox123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2009, 01:41 PM
    I think I have it whittled down to where the solution would be. The tail piece that comes out of the underside of the bottom of the bathroom sink is plastic pipe. Then there is a small 6 inch piece of metal tail piece pipe attached (leak free) to that plastic straight piece of pipe. So I am attaching the p Trap to this 6 inch extension tail piece. And when I slide the cap and the washer up the pipe and then hand tighten the cap piece down on the P Trap piece I can still wiggle the P Trap up and down the pipe. So it is not "clamping" or "squeezing" tight enough to be water tight. And I know I have the right parts. What can I do?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 2, 2009, 01:46 PM

Many of those drain pipes are actually 1 1/2" pipes but have washers that will also reduce them to 1 1/4" Are you possibly using the 1 1/2 washer on the 1 1/4" pipe?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 2, 2009, 07:14 PM
    Bobs answer would be my guess. Are you possibly using the 1 1/2 washer on the 1 1/4" pipe? Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaking bathroom sink drain [ 1 Answers ]

Should rubber seal be used with plumber putty

Drain pipe too high for small pedestal sink [ 13 Answers ]

We think the drain pipe in the wall is too high for our small pedestal sink. The pop-up drain will not open completely because the bottom of the "tail piece" or whatever it is called hits the top of the drain pipe. Our pedestal sink base is not completely open in the back -- there is a 2"...

Leaking under Bathroom Sink [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I would love some help. We recently discovered our bathroom sink was leaking underneath the faucet where the hose attached. We thought it would be a simple fix, and all it needed was to be tightened. We were wrong. Tightening made it worse! We then turned off the water and replace the...

Bathroom sink wall pipe drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in early 70's.. No plastic.. I'm putting in a new sink and had to remove the wall pipe that goes into the wall.. I needed a longer one. It seem where it goes in behind the wall into the plumbing there was some type of gasket as pieces of it fell out when I removed the pipe.. I...

View more questions Search