Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pumpkinjojo Posts: 52, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2008, 10:17 AM
    Boyfriend has ADD
    My boyfriend is 25, I'm 23. He has ADD (Passive) lack of concentration. When I ask him to do something, it takes him hours to do it or takes him forever to finally do the thing I ask. I don't know what I should do about it? I want to help him
    southerngalps Posts: 1,334, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2008, 10:31 AM
    Is he prescribed medication?

May 23, 2008, 11:18 AM
    No. He had it when he was young but tablets doesn't make a difference to without tablets.. both seems to be the same. But its hard work for me to tell him or remind him about things
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 23, 2008, 11:32 AM
    ADD has nothing to do with it. It sounds as though he is a procrastinator.

May 23, 2008, 11:34 AM
    Procrastinator? What do u mean by that?
    Expert

May 23, 2008, 11:37 AM
    Procrastination means that people put off what they can do now.

May 23, 2008, 11:40 AM
    What does that mean? What do I do about it?
    Expert

May 23, 2008, 12:46 PM
    There is nothing you can do about it. He just does things in his own time.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 23, 2008, 12:46 PM
    She is saying he may just be the type of person who puts off doing things. And actually I bet if you asked 100 wife's 80 of them would say their husbands do the same thing, they often get busy doing what they want and put off what their wife's want.
    Heck that reminds me to go put the toilet seat down and wash my coffee cup I was suppose to have done already.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2008, 01:02 PM
    Sounds like he is passive-agressive. That means he doesn't want to do whatever it is you want done but instead of saying no directly, he just "forgets" or "puts it off."

May 23, 2008, 11:36 PM
    Yeah something like that Emland.. Its hard to explain... e.g if I asked him to do it.. he will do it like 3 hours later.. he rather spends his time with me than doing the things I ask him, I never get mad with him if he doesn't do it... I just get frustrated and ask him nicely. He just forgets what I ask. My mum is a nurse.. she said to try the adults tabelets - ritiviln?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 23, 2008, 11:49 PM
    My husband has ADD--finally figured it out when he was in his 50s. He doesn't take meds for it. He always managed to make decisions and get things done by making lists and crossing off each thing when he gets it done. Rewarding himself with something after doing a certain number of things helps him work hard to get finished.

Our older son is autistic and has to see jobs and instructions in print (vs. hearing them) in order for it to really sink in. He likes to read books but hates audiobooks--seeing print rather than hearing the words.

Maybe this will make sense to you and suggest a solution.
    deedeeowens Posts: 17, Reputation: 3

May 27, 2008, 10:39 AM
    I agree that a lot of men just behave that way because they're the type to put things off, but if he was diagnosed with ADD by a professional, I have to assume that he has it. I married a man with ADHD. It takes a lot of patience to deal with the issues 24/7. In my experience it gets a little better with medication, but if he's not hyper I couldn't blame him for not going that route. God only knows what those meds do to a person in the long run. In my opinion you'll only get frustrated trying to "help" him. My advice is to accept him the way he is or find another boyfriend. He probably isn't going to change.
    aanthonyy Posts: 45, Reputation: 3

May 31, 2008, 02:55 PM
    I have add. Trying to think let alone do many boring tasks when I am actively thinking about something else often means that things get done eventually. If something does not need doing NOw then is better to do it later - if I remember... the drugs help a bit - but masses of self discipline is the only way, and that is stressful. Appreciate what he is good at and his look at his strengths. If that is not enough then move on. Is not easy having add.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2008, 03:02 PM
    You know, when I was a kid, you never heard of ADHD or ADD.

If I didn't do what was expected, when it was expected, I got my butt lit up like a ripe tomato!

It would be a long time after that, before I didn't do what was expected of me, when it was expected.

Once the government got involved with the ability of a parent to discipline their children, all of a sudden there were these two new "diseases" ADD and ADHD.

In my opinion, ADHD, or ADD are simply the symptoms of lack of discipline at a young age.

I know, many of you are going to blast me on this one!
    deedeeowens Posts: 17, Reputation: 3

Jun 2, 2008, 09:30 AM
    I used to think that way too Progunr. I never heard of ADD or ADHD growing up either, and I thought that ADD and ADHD were just excuses for inappropriate behavior. However, after some education about nutrition and the things that have been put into our foods since the "old days"; I have become a firm believer that these conditions are real and are a result of the dyes, pesticides, preservatives, and chemicals that have found their way into the American diet.
    plonak Posts: 742, Reputation: 117

Jun 2, 2008, 03:10 PM
    ADD is real, my boyfriend has it, and he says when he's not on his medication, his brain is going 1000 miles a second, he's thinking of so many things at once, it's like his brain is on overdrive.. and that's why it's so hard for them to focus. It's really frustrating being a girlfriend of someone who suffers from ADD.. needs patience. I suggest getting him a scheduler and force him to write his stuff down and then it will become habit.

I told my boyfriend he needs to do that and told him to get one at the store... and it has been about 2 months since I originally asked him to get one, kind of ironic huh? Can't even focus to get the tool to help him.. mabye there is no hope after all.. sigh

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why doesn't my boyfriend want to have sex with me? [ 16 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been dating for over 5 months now. Im 19 and he's 31, We have not had sex yet. When we first starting dating he seemed really into me and I always felt that he "wanted" me, but he said he really cared about me and thought we should hold off sex for a while. I recently...

Boyfriend vs ex sort of boyfriend [ 3 Answers ]

I've like this guy for 8 - 10 months his name was lets say Scott. Scott and I never actually went out but we liked each other. Said ' I love you' and held hands did what normal couples would do. He didn't ask because he wanted to be 100% sure if out relationship would last. I liked him a lot...

What do I get my boyfriend for his b-day? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi evryone Well I'm 13 and my boyfriend is 14, turning 15. We've been going out for lik two weeks, and it so happens that next week is his birthday. Should I get him a present? I don't know what, though... if anybody has any ideas I would really love to know. He loves futbol, so I was thnking...

I like her but she has a boyfriend (again) [ 4 Answers ]

I've already posted something similar about the same girl a few weeks back it went like this: About a year and a half ago I started chatting to this girl on myspace, she looked pretty hot and we spoke practically everyday and exchanged numbers etc. turned out she was starting at the same...

How to be A Boyfriend [ 3 Answers ]

I Usually don't ask for help, but I think I am in need. I don't really know how to be a good boy friend. I have gone out with about 5 girls, my first one was a disaster, I Think I am getting better but I don't know how to do all the things that a good boy friend should do. I don't know how to get a...

View more questions Search