Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    putnam11118352 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2012, 07:07 PM
    Can my ex lower his child support when he voluntarily quit his job?
    My ex has filled a request for modification through child support recovery. He voluntarily quit his job and I have already spoken to that employer who is willing to come to court and testify that he quit on his own free will.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 16, 2012, 07:15 PM
    It will be up to the judge.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 16, 2012, 07:45 PM
    It is up to the judge, in general a person can quit a job, the court does not have the authority to make them work. And of course the ex can say it has hard for this or that reason.

And the boss may say today he will come testify, but that often changes when court date comes. But my guess is that they will allow the decrease in support since support is based on current income, except where they have a min amount that has to be paid.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 16, 2012, 08:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    It is up to the judge, in general a person can quit a job, the court does not have the authority to make them work. ...
    It may be so that the court can not make them work, but it can punish them if they don't pay as though they were working. It's called imputed income.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    And the boss may say today he will come testify, but that often changes when court date comes. ...
    Subpoena the boss.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I voluntarily dismiss a child support case in the California Family Court [ 2 Answers ]

How do I voluntarily dismiss a child support case in the California Family Court? What form(s) do I need to file to just have this spcific case dropped? Both parties agree to completely Drop the child support case. How do I go about getting this resolved? *** HELP

Do I have to pay child support after voluntarily giving up my parental rights [ 2 Answers ]

I have been in prison for 6 out of the past 7 years of my sons life. The mother of my son doesn't allow me to visit my son or speak with him. I have come to the conclusion to where I'm considering filing what's required to terminate my parental rights. I have been sending 100 dollars a month...

Quit my job in Iowa but still have to pay full amount of child support? [ 13 Answers ]

I quit my job to go back to school, I live off students loans and my national guard drill pay. I know I will have to keep paying some child support but I didn't know that if I quit my job the Child Support Recovery Unit automaticaly keeps my income level the same. She got her chance to go to...

Modification of child support if I quit my job [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the process of leaving my current job to relocate to the east coast, and the area where I am moving to, where the wages are not so high. This is a choice I have to make because my family and I are unable to afford living in the state where we currently are. My wife's family lives over there...

View more questions Search