Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    martoesh4 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2007, 04:35 PM
    Global warming
    Why arnt we putting all of our power into this situation I mean countries are going to be under waterrr... and mostly in europe I am really worried and our tempratures are hanging in many parts of earth and we are having a lot of hurricanes and such... so we arnt we putting all our mind into this.. I am really worried
    I am really interested in this topic,, and thwere are many comercials on t.v that are telling us not to use a lot of electricity and water... but why don't some people actually do so.. I mean do they want this worl to end and knowing it was our falt?
    Can't we close all factories and big indutries for about 7 years when our air clears up a little.. I know we would go into a crisis of money and companies would colaps but it is for a really good cause I mean think.. can't people walk or use bikes instead of using all these cars?. we need to start being healthy again.
    XenoSapien Posts: 627, Reputation: 42

Jul 26, 2007, 05:30 PM
    These "global warming" so-called experts also say that flatuence from cows cause global warming. If that is the case, then take the pilgrimage to India, where they refuse to kill the cow. They are the real violators.

There is too much evidence that the earth has been doing this for many years without any interference from man or animals. Stop listening to Al Gore.

XenoSapien
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 26, 2007, 05:53 PM
    <moved from Astronomy to Ecology & Environment>

Please pick the correct category to post your questions. Astronomy is not appropriate for all of them. Astronomy has to do with the STARS.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2007, 10:33 PM
    While there is some controversy over global warming, the general scientific consensus is that it IS happening and it is at least partly due to humans. Global warming deniers just want to have their cake and eat it:

Global average air temperature near the Earth's surface rose 0.74 &#177; 0.18 &#176;C (1.33 &#177; 0.32 &#176;F) during the past century. The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) concludes, "most of the observed increase in globally averaged temperatures since the mid-20th century is very likely due to the observed increase in anthropogenic greenhouse gas concentrations," which leads to warming of the surface and lower atmosphere by increasing the greenhouse effect. Natural phenomena such as solar variation combined with volcanoes have probably had a small warming effect from pre-industrial times to 1950, but a small cooling effect since 1950. These basic conclusions have been endorsed by at least 30 scientific societies and academies of science, including all of the national academies of science of the major industrialized countries. The American Association of Petroleum Geologists is the only scientific society that rejects these conclusions. A few individual scientists disagree with some of the main conclusions of the IPCC. (wikipedia)

If we don't base our conclusions on science here, what do we base them on, faith?
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2007, 12:35 AM
    Global Warming!

It does put fear into ones heart, especially when you see all the destruction around the world,tsunamis,earthquakes,hurricanes, weird weather patterns etc.

I for one am not an environmentalist,but I love nature and would love to have a forest to walk through with my children, the ocean and beautiful beaches for my descendants to play in and around, mountains for the next generaion to wonder about.

I also believe when my religion states that all things on this earth is only for a period and that they will be gone when their time comes.We were supposed to be caretakers and not to feed our greed as we went about the earth making our homes and living our lives, but we have been careless and sort of broken the cycle of life by eliminating some species to satisfy our own desires, without a thought of the BIG picture of the whole globe being one.

I also believe that disasters are signs from the Almighty,so that we may not forget His existence and also reminders for those who believe to work better for the Hereafter.

Quran Chapter 67 verses 15-17
    "He it is, Who has made the earth subservient to you (i.e. easy for you to walk, to live and to do agriculture on it, etc.), so walk in the path thereof and eat of His provision, and to Him will be the Resurrection.
    Do you feel secure that He, Who is over the heaven (All&#226;h), will not cause the earth to sink with you, then behold it shakes (as in an earthquake)?
    Or do you feel secure that He, Who is over the heaven (All&#226;h), will not send against you a violent whirlwind? Then you shall know how (terrible) has been My Warning?"
    -------

I also believe scientific research that says earth is an ageing planet...

A Dying Planet By Chris Flavin

I am also a believer of forests taking years to grow into what they are today and even if we start planting today, its effects will only show years and years later.

Rain Forest Report Card
    National Geographic News @ nationalgeographic.com

But I also believe that we could do the little things to help make our little environment more healthy by planting a few plants around our homes, by not wasting water unnecessarily,by switching off electric equipment when not in use,by helping recycle what we can,by keeping our environment clean(imagine each one doing little things like this to make their own homes environment friendly, it goes a long way in helping,especially making our children aware of such things).

:) :)
    cal823 Posts: 867, Reputation: 116

Jul 27, 2007, 03:49 AM
    Why does the world need to be a particular temperature and stuff?
    It will exist and survive, till the end. We can't change when the end comes.
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2007, 04:01 AM
    It needs to be a particular temperature for us to continue living here, for crops to grow.

Jul 27, 2007, 04:03 AM
    Depends. I don't think climate change is too big a thing for humanity to endure and come out thriving
    I doubt that we can stop climate change though, its not like we have weather control.
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2007, 04:06 AM
    Well, according to most scientific thinking, we are inducing climate change through our use of dirty fuels that release greenhouse gases. The Earth is getting warmer because of us. This is why there is a push to developing new energy technologies and to start up more fission plants. (along with the fact that oil and coal are both running out as a fuel source). It's also why we are asked to recycle and to be much greener than we have been in the past.

Jul 27, 2007, 04:09 AM
    Great, time to take a spinach bath!
    Lol, seriously, yeah cleaner fuels would be nice
    You know the petroleum companies apparently bought hydrogenm fuel technology to stop anyone from using?
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2007, 04:19 AM
    There is a lot of dirty stuff going on by petrol companies. You'll notice in my first post to this topic I stated that "The American Association of Petroleum Geologists is the only scientific society that rejects these conclusions."

Do you think it is coincidence that the only scientific society to deny that global warming is happening due to human causes are the people who are funded by petroleum companies, a group that would surely lose money if it is shown that it is indeed the case? I think not :)
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2007, 04:20 AM
    The earth has gone through warming and cooling periods before and will continue to do so. There was a medieval warming period and a little ice age only several hundred years ago. I am 40 years old and can remember when the politicians and ennvironmentalists got all excited that we were going to experience global cooling.

We should be good stewards of our environment and alternative fuels will have to be developed sooner or later because oil is a finite commodity. Getting that underway and taking away the oil nations power over us would be a win-win, IMO.

I heard something on the TV or radio that had me laughing. I wish I could remember who said it, but it goes something like this: "Our scientists can not accurately forecast next weeks weather, but you are going to take it as fact that our temperature is going to rise in 100 years?"
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2007, 04:24 AM
    How much computer time do they have to model each day's weather? Probably a day's worth, because the next day they have to model the next day's weather etc. etc.

Global warming has had a LOT more modelling time applied to it.

Also, local weather is much more dependent upon chaos theory than a global warming effect. Of course there are cycles. Scientists try to take that into account and analyse how much the temperature is changing on top of natural cycles. It's folly to assume that they have not taken something like that into account.
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2007, 04:25 AM
    By the way, I'm not a great believer in global warming either. Maybe it is a bit of hope in me that it isn't due to us. But I do trust scientific method. We ignore it at our peril.

Jul 28, 2007, 04:23 AM
    Oh the irony! The weather used to be a cliché small talk subject! Now it's a cliché social issue end of the world subject to discuss!
    Lol lol lol lol

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A global warming victim [ 11 Answers ]

Snowless in a warming world, ski resort in French Alps bids adieu Sigh... one more "cruel reminder," one ski resort down, one courageous decision, skiing will only be for the rich - are we doomed? Perhaps if we just dissociate ourselves from global warming like La Chappelle-d'Abondance is...

Global Warming and Cattle Flatulence [ 6 Answers ]

Well the consensus is in . Drive your SUV all you want to . But whatever you do ,don't eat that burger!! Eating beef ' is less green than driving' - Telegraph Yup the French ski resorts areall muddy due to cow farts . This may not be what the Global Warming Alarmists want to hear ;but...

Another global warming tragedy [ 11 Answers ]

Warming causing gray whales to lose weight, say scientists I tried but could not find a photo of one of these skinny whales. But I have an idea, instead of a "fat tax" why not promote global warming as a way to combat obesity?

Benefits of global warming [ 26 Answers ]

Anyone catch this article a few days ago? But don't get excited... Like the scientists I'm still trying to figure this out. We could see both increased agricultural production and "planet-wide food" shortages, and both "mass flooding" with "planet-wide" water shortages. I wish...

View more questions Search