Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smonique74 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2014, 08:47 AM
    Georgia overtime pay law
    I work and live in Louisiana but work for a company out of Georgia. I pay Louisiana taxes. I am told that I am not allowed overtime pay according to Georgia laws. Is this true?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

May 8, 2014, 08:47 AM
    Who told you that?

Here are the US labor laws on overtime- Unless you fit into one of the exempt categories, you are being lied to.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/hrg.htm

May 8, 2014, 09:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    Who told you that?

Here are the US labor laws on overtime- Unless you fit into one of the exempt categories, you are being lied to.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/hrg.htm
    My employer told me that. I didn't think it sounded correct. I was told anything over that I have gotten paid for I do not get time and a half. That Georgia I actually only get half of my hourly pay. Thank you for your response and for the link. I am going to check it out.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 8, 2014, 09:07 AM
    If you work in Louisiana, the Louisiana laws (or the FLSA, if it applies) govern whether you must be paid overtime. Georgia law has nothing to do with it.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 8, 2014, 09:10 AM
    Are you an hourly or salaried employee? Full time or part time?

May 8, 2014, 09:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Are you an hourly or salaried employee? Full time or part time?
    Full time and hourly pay
    Uber Member

May 8, 2014, 09:24 AM
    Hourly employee... then they have to pay you for every hour you work... and overtime when you exceed it.

Are you sure they refused to pay you, while requiring you to work it... or did they phrase it in such a way that they were saying they are not AUTHORIZING you to work overtime hours and would refuse to pay for any you do work?

May 8, 2014, 10:18 AM
    No I am authorized to work those hours that go overtime. I take care of certain facilities close to me and have had to travel as far as north Alabama. I am a Level III Technician. They have paid me overtime but it is not time and a half it is half of my hourly pay. So say regular pay of $15.00 an hour and overtime is $7.50.
    Uber Member

May 8, 2014, 10:22 AM
    THey can't do that... it has to be time and a half.

Are you sure its not a mistake on a time reporting system?

As an example In the one we use ( its online and wed based) you have to report overtime in TWO fields (making it look like you are charging twice the hours but really aren't)....or it ends up being paid at 1/2 your hourly rate. Had that happen when we changed systems, and that change wasn't explained. It was quickly corrected and money owed paid back.

May 8, 2014, 10:24 AM
    OK, Thanks for your help

May 8, 2014, 10:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smonique74 View Post
    OK, Thanks for your help
    One more question. What if it was Salary pay at 40 hrs a week but one week get under 40 and if I want the 40 I have to use PTO or Vacation time to get 40.

May 8, 2014, 10:30 AM

Are you sure its not a mistake on a time reporting system?

As an example In the one we use ( its online and wed based) you have to report overtime in TWO fields (making it look like you are charging twice the hours but really aren't)....or it ends up being paid at 1/2 your hourly rate. Had that happen when we changed systems, and that change wasn't explained. It was quickly corrected and money owed paid back.
    Hmmm I do not think so because I was told that is how it works with this company and they say it is Georgia Law.
    Uber Member

May 8, 2014, 10:31 AM
    Salaried employeed are treaded differntly than hourly. They base the salary under the assumption a certain number of extra hours are expected to be worked. If you do less than the 40, they might require that to be some sort of paid time off. You would want to refer to the company employee handbook as to exactly how they treat it. Not every Employer will handle that exactly the same. THe laws require certain things... beyond those the employer has some leeway.

There actually are some salaried positions that pay overtime as well....but they aren't the norm. (Wife used to be in one)
    Expert

May 8, 2014, 10:32 AM
    Quoting from the link supplied by Odinn7, ("Who is covered?")

"... A covered enterprise is the related activities performed through unified operation or common control by any person or persons for a common business purpose and �

1. whose annual gross volume of sales made or business done is not less than $500,000 (exclusive of excise taxes at the retail level that are separately stated); or ..."

Does your employer make more than $ 1/2 million per year?

May 8, 2014, 10:33 AM
    Salaried employeed are treaded differntly than hourly. They base the salary under the assumption a certain number of extra hours are expected to be worked. If you do less than the 40, they might require that to be some sort of paid time off. You would want to refer to the company employee handbook as to exactly how they treat it. Not every Employer will handle that exactly the same. THe laws require certain things... beyond those the employer has some leeway.
    OK, You have been very helpful. I really appreciate it.

May 8, 2014, 10:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Quoting from the link supplied by Odinn7, ("Who is covered?")

"... A covered enterprise is the related activities performed through unified operation or common control by any person or persons for a common business purpose and �

1. whose annual gross volume of sales made or business done is not less than $500,000 (exclusive of excise taxes at the retail level that are separately stated); or ..."

Does your employer make more than $ 1/2 million per year?
    Yes
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 8, 2014, 10:48 AM
    Overtime pay is governed by federal law, not state law. Any hours over 40 in a weekly pay period need to be paid at time and a half. If they are not doing so, contact the Louisiana Dept of Labor.
    Expert

May 8, 2014, 10:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Overtime pay is governed by federal law, not state law. Any hours over 40 in a weekly pay period need to be paid at time and a half. If they are not doing so, contact the Louisiana Dept of Labor.
    Or the US Dept.. of Labor.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

May 8, 2014, 02:21 PM
    They are lying to you and taking advantage of you pure and simple.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 8, 2014, 02:49 PM
    Are you sure the $7.50 isn't being added to a regular base pay. Check how many hours and total pay. I can't imaging a company doing that and the $7.50 is 1/2

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does Walmart owe us overtime pay? [ 9 Answers ]

I work at a Walmart in California. On December 24th, 2012 there was an attempted robbery at my store at about 6:30 AM... A single man went in the store with a rifle and was trying to get a manager... NOBODY was hurt in the incident... Once the associates realized what was happening, we...

Can a company pay overtime to a salaried employee [ 4 Answers ]

Worked over 40 hours in one week and was asked to work Saturday's for 8 hours each. Was told to keep track of my hours. 28 hours worked on numerous Saturdays and turned in my hours and now learned that they are only going to pay me half. Is this legal??

About overtime pay [ 2 Answers ]

I am a waitress. I was told due to gartuidy I due not get overtime pay. Is that wright? If so can I get a copy of law?

View more questions Search