Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mklas Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2009, 04:21 PM
    Bathroom sink shut off valve
    I have a leaking shut off valve on what I think is a compression vavle. It looks like it is a threaded valve but when I tried to remove it by turnning the nut it doesn't seem to be coming off, just keeps turning. The leak is by the nut, not by the stem or connector. How do I remove the compression valve? And do the compression valves look similar to the threaded one?
    Thanks for any help.
    MKlas
    :confused:
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2009, 06:45 PM

It's a bit confusing here because of the descriptions.
    Where the water supply comes in can be or commpression( big nut) or soldered connection ( No Nut) threaded ( No Nut) to the main house water supply. Is this what's leaking?

Next big nut whee the shutoff handel goes into is a packing nut for the valve seat if that is leaking gently tighten that.

The last nut (small) is where the toilet supply tank tube goes into. This is a compression nut that has a furrell under the nut to connect the tank line.
    Remember to always use two adjustable wrenches to work the nuts and hold the valve main body still. So let me know exactly where is this nut that won't come off.

[U]Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer[/U]
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2009, 06:56 PM

Hello MKlas,

See the images below and tell us which one is your angle valve and where is it leaking from if it is leaking from the packing nut you may not need to replace the valve, you be able to fix the leak by tightenng the packing nut or replace the packings, Thanks.

John
    Attached Images

mklas Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2009, 08:25 PM

Hi and thanks for the help. I think it is the compression nut in the 2nd to last picture. It is leaking right at the large nut coming off the cooper pipeunder the sink. I think I have it now, thanks for th picture with the arrows I understand what I was doing wrong now.
    Thanks again for all the responses
    Mklas

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No Shut Off Valve between water heater and bathroom sink valve [ 14 Answers ]

I have a constant drip in my bathroom sink. After a little trouble shooting, I came to the conclusion that my hot water valve underneath the sink is the culprit. I traced the pipe down the wall, into the basement and to the water heater. The only thing between the water heater and the old valve in...

Bathroom sink shut off [ 1 Answers ]

I have a leak in my cold water faucet, and I need to shut off the water until I can fix it. The valve under the sink will not turn with strong hand pressure. How hard can I attempt to turn it before I risk breaking something? (can you tell plumbing is not my area of knowledge? )

Replacing bathroom sink shut off valve [ 3 Answers ]

The shut off valve for the bathroom sink is really old and can not be turned off. The bathroom remodel will take awhile so I can't go that long without water in the whole house. What is needed to replace the existing shut off valve so that we can remove the old sink and continue work on the...

Bathroom sink hot water shut-off valve [ 6 Answers ]

I live in a house on columns. In following the instructions for removing a bathroom sink faucet I turned the shut-off valves off. The cold side did not run, but I am getting a drip from the hot side... a drop every second or two. I tried shutting off the supply downstairs. But the drip persists....

Shut off sink valve for hot water [ 1 Answers ]

Our sink's hot water won't shut off. We have tried what we thought was the shut off valve, located under the sink with no success. Any suggestions on how to shut if off.

View more questions Search