Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mommilizzi Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Jul 12, 2006, 02:40 PM
    Tooth abscess.
    I recently had a crown come out and had to go to the dentist to have it put back on. The dentist took an x-ray and told me I had some infection in that tooth and I'd need a root canal. I was started on antibiotics yesterday and a few hours after seeing the dentist my tooth started hurting. It's now hurting so bad I can't stand it. I've tried everything to relive the pain and nothing has worked. My question is about the abscess though... it seems to be getting worse. There is now a lump on my gums that is VERY sore to the touch. Is this normal even with taking antibiotics?
    Jay_Jay Posts: 74, Reputation: 15

Jul 12, 2006, 02:43 PM
    It takes some time for the drugs to get into your system, but yea it seems normal. I would say to go back to your dentist if after a few days it still feels the same as different drugs work for different people.

It's a pain in the *** but you should be back to normal before you know it. Most dentist will not touch the teeth when they have one as doing this can make things 10 x worse for you.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 12, 2006, 02:46 PM
    Yes, it is normal. You can go to your pharmacist and ask for clove oil. Most of the time they keep it behind the counter, so you do have to ask.

Then dab a cu-tip with the oil and rub it on the gum. Do this as necessary until the antibiotics kick in.
    Jay_Jay Posts: 74, Reputation: 15

Jul 12, 2006, 02:51 PM
    clove oil that is a real good helper, but p.s it does not taste very nice so try not to get any in your mouth.

But it does start to work very quick.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2006, 03:08 PM
    Having had a few of these myself, I can offer some first hand sufferer's advice.

Seems the dentist saw the abscess developing through the x-ray just before you noticed it. Nothing he did would have caused it to begin the experience you are about to have for a few days.

The typical action is a few days antibiotics to eliminate the infection first.

Here is the best part, the dentist will not start any invasive procedure until the infection is completely eliminated, due to disturbing the infection pocket may cause the infection to spread through the bloodstream and cause more problems.

The extreme localized pain and swelling is a normal reaction from the infection. Call your dentist and let him know your symptoms, he will probably tell you how long to take the antibiotics, take aspirin, tylenol, or ibubrofen for pain, with either hot or cold compress, (I always forget which is good for swelling).And then call for the root canal.

I had only one of those. I heard they are no fun , but, my abscess was so bad it killed the nerve in the tooth, so he drilled and repaired the entire tooth with no Novocaine. Compared to the abscess, this was easy.

I never had much luck getting anything stronger for the pain from a dentist, but this was many years ago, and I think medical workers are more sensitive to patient's pain. Painkillers are better understood and used nowadays. It may not hurt to ask, you may get something stronger. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the pain is terrible, so if you don't mind ethically or can't for some other reason, take what you can get.

I remember the whole event only lasting 3-7 days, and you got a jump on the germs, so rest assured there is an end to this pain in the jaw.

Good luck!

Ouch!
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Jul 12, 2006, 08:01 PM
    I totally agree with J 9, clove oil is almost undoubtedly the best thing. Other things you might try, though make sure nothing potentially interacts with the antibiotics:
    1. Rinsing your mouth with salt water.
    2. Rinsing your mouth with strongly diluted Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE)
    3. Echinacea and Goldenseal, preferably as a tea
    4. Chewing on raw cashews. Reputed to be very beneficial, if you can find them.
    5. Garlic capsules may be of some help as well. Can be very irritating to some people though.

Do give the antibiotics a day or two to work. I hope you feel better soon. :)
    Keepugesin Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2006, 09:18 PM
    Being a dental hygienist I can tell you that the bump you are feeling on your gum is called an abcess. When the infection at the tip of the root of a tooth has nowhere to go, the pressure builds up and the infection burrows a hole through your bone and out the gum tissue as a way to relieve itself. Normally once this happens, the pain is relieved because there is no longer any pressure at the tip of the root of the tooth. You do need to have a root canal done immediately though, because without one you will surely lose the tooth. Don't worry about the root canal, dentistry has come so far these days that it's not as big a deal as it once was. Hope all works out for you!
    Keepugesin Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2006, 09:20 PM
    Oh yeah, the lump you are seeing is called a fistula, it is a symptom of the abcess!
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2006, 01:15 AM
    Gag I feel for you I have two extremely rotten wisdom teeth witch I'm waiting to have pulled and I don't feel the pain anymore I think I've gotten use to it now but I had an abscess appear the weekend of our wedding party oh boy I looked so pretty (not) no wonder there was no pictures I did find that holding an extremely high volume spirit on the area sure numbed it, my dentist also told me to take ibuprofen to ease the swelling, not nice hope you found something that worked and the anti b's have kicked in.
    fed up Posts: 91, Reputation: 6

Jul 23, 2006, 06:02 AM
    I have lost track the number of root canals I have done over the years. The new methods have certainly improved over the years. As to the abscess, I have just had a tooth removed due to infection. I went to an oral surgeon and although everything went well and uneventful I was surprised that he did not recommend antibiotics as the tooth was badly infected. I think the feeling I felt in the pit of my stomach and the bowel was far worse than the discomfort in my mouth. Good luck. Better days are ahead.
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Jul 23, 2006, 09:44 PM
    Hi Fed Up,
    I know I have had infected teeth pulled without antibiotics before, against my better judgement. Abdominal pain can be a symptom of bacteremia though, bacteria entering the bloodstream. If you have had these symptoms, I would most definitely insist on a single dose of antibiotics next time. Take care. :)
    GARY PANTER Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2006, 11:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mommilizzi
    I recently had a crown come out and had to go to the dentist to have it put back on. The dentist took an xray and told me I had some infection in that tooth and I'd need a root canal. I was started on antibiotics yesterday and a few hours after seeing the dentist my tooth started hurting. It's now hurting so bad I can't stand it. I've tried everything to relive the pain and nothing has worked. My question is about the abscess though... it seems to be getting worse. There is now a lump on my gums that is VERY sore to the touch. Is this normal even with taking antibiotics?
    Takes 24 - 48 hrs for antibiotics to work,i have abscess,clove oil might work
    Bubbaoftexas Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2008, 12:09 AM
    Please pay attention.
    If your dentist places you on antibiotics instead of pulling the tooth... THANK HIM"!
    He is being professional and may be saving your life. If a dentist pulls a tooth while it is infected... you are at risk to have the poisons from the infection enter your body and blood stream. If that happens... very simply... IT CAN KILL YOU!
    The basis of my being able to convey this to you is that a dentist pulled an abcessed tooth of my mother without sending her out the door with antibiotics first. The poisons from the abcess were partially swallowed and entered her body. A few days later she ended up with a abcess on her brain and had to have brain surgery. The poisons contained within an abcess can be... deadly. My mother died from it all. Be patient... deal with the pain... take ALWAYS take appropriate and sufficient antibiotics before letting any dentist work on infected teeth. If a dentist sends you home with a prescription? Squint, groan, slobber, cry, beg to be put out of your misery, but do not ask him to do something he knows is not in your best interest... or his/hers. If you have a dentist that is willing to do an operatory without first placing you on antibiotics? Politely rise out of his chair.. head straight for the door and don't look or go back.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2008, 07:41 AM

If the tooth has been infected for some time, the poisons have already had time to enter the body and cause other problems.
    Where did you get the information about the infection from your mothers' tooth traveling to her brain after the extraction?

Dec 26, 2008, 12:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by flossie View Post
    If the tooth has been infected for some time, the poisons have already had time to enter the body and cause other problems.
    Where did you get the information about the infection from your mothers' tooth traveling to her brain after the extraction?

Hope I did this correctly for a response Flossy...

She had the extraction and about a week later problems. Flew her to Nevada hospital and doctors there determined the cause or source.

It was then and from them that I learned how many people are affected by such issues and also to some degree.. the different coarse or directions that the poisons may take. In my mom's case it went to her brain. Some people may have issues with their heart etc. etc. etc.. General public isn't made aware of these potential complications I also learned. While I haven't myself in the past had many episodes with my teeth, I certainly have learned of the potentials and take personal responsibility with that knowledge.

We are all individuals also and I personally take a lot of preventative measures against infection, bacterial and viral issues in my body through the foods I consume.

I for example eat a lot of garlic in my diet. I take a least 1/2 tspn of cayenne pepper twice a day for a few examples. While the reason I take these suppliments is primarily for other reasons such as cholesteral control, vascular and cardio health and maintanence, these two puppies alone also knock out and reduce potential within me of having issues with many harmfull bacteria and virus's that cause problems with other folks.

I don't get sick and haven't for years.

I did learn today however that for "pain"... and correct me if the information is not correct, that if a person takes maximum regiment of ibuprofen (Motrin) alternated every two hours with maximun regiment of acetaminophen (Tylenol) may be as beneficial as prescribed pain medications... BUT... not to be taken for a long duration as they may cause liver issues.

These may be more readily found than oil of cloves if during a holiday when pharmacies are closed... like Christmas.

I tried with my fiancé who had a infected tooth recently at a end/posting tooth for a bridge.. that having her swish a strong solution of salt water regularly and "pulling" with olive oil... helped to bring out puss etc and reduce pressure to reduce pain.

Oil pulling is interesting and has other interesting benefits you may desire to look in to.
    Just do a Google search as oil pulling.. or benefits of oil pulling als called oil swishing.

I do a lot of research into alternative approaches and have for many years.

I hate using over the counter and/or prescribed meds... but sometimes if you got to... ya got to if you have no other knowledge base or availability of alternatives.

The way I see it... as I take this time to review and learn things here... in a tooth ache you have a few things to contend with. Each requiring different approaches.

1) Infection... bacterial.
    2) Swelling... approached with heat (To reduce swelling only)
    3) Pain... approached with cold.
    4) Pain... keep drainage open... salt water, oil pulling, professional lancing.

Oil of cloves to me is numming. Gets rid of pain... doesn;t really solve major issues.
    In germany I was in a hospital years ago.. at least one in particular.. and saw a lot of folks in pain. Asked a doctor why they didn't give them pain meds? Doctor said something to the affect.. "if we give them pain meds it could hide or mask issues we need to know about." If a patient is screaming.. we know all functions are working properly and there is no damage in certain areas for us as doctors.. to be concerned with for the patient." "Like nerve damage or restricted circulation in an area."
    "The louder they scream the healthier we know they are."
    Now that seems cruel... but think about it! Lol

Of the ibuprofen and acetaminophen, one deals primarily with swelling while the other with infection as I understand it.

On the oil pulling or swishing? Do it until it turns milky white.. and ALWAYS spit! NEVER swallow! ALWAYS RINSE thoroughly.

Always enjoy a learned conversation.

Bubba
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2008, 07:22 PM

Hi Bubba,

Thank you for all the information! I have never heard of oil pulling but will definitely read up on it. I like to have alternative methods available for my patients who, like you, prefer to stay away from OTC medications.
    You are right about the ibuprofen/acetominophen combo, they should only be used short term.

Dec 26, 2008, 10:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by flossie View Post
    Hi Bubba,

Thank you for all the information! I have never heard of oil pulling but will definitely read up on it. I like to have alternative methods available for my patients who, like you, prefer to stay away from OTC medications.
    You are right about the ibuprofen/acetominophen combo, they should only be used short term.
    Welp.. guess I did something right as you responded. Lol
    I am "proud" of you for being a practitioner who is also willing to review other viable and safe approaches to medicine and preventative measures.
    I urge you to research the oil pulling/swishing. It has "huge" track record of curing many illnesses but also many "dental" issues. Heals gum issues, strengthens gums, heals gums, whitens teeth, strengthens teeth in their sockets and has been known to firm up loose teeth in people that have had problems with loose teeth. There are a few diffent oils that work.. not all do... olive oil works well for some people.. sesame oil seems to be the one that serves the greater benefit for "many" issues for reasons... and sunflower oil.

As you know.. we are all individual in our personal chemical make up and personal body Ph etc makes a difference in many medical response areas also. That's why not all things that work for some.. work for everyone. Depending on the issue... a person who's body Ph is more acid may not respond to "something"... that gets great response from a person who's body Ph is alkyline... and vise a versa. Depending on what we are trying to remedy may mean altering our Ph to achieve it.. depending on the approach.

Medical professions have long taught it seems... to diagnose and treat symptoms... rather than seek and treat "cause".. or source. And I find many times.. have excluded the insight of such things as variances of consideration of body Ph as part of approach to treatment or resolution.

A lot of what makes the pulling work is a combination of things. Enzymes in our own saliva mixing with the chemistry of the oils for example. The sublingual pathway located under our tongues is another. Gee... ya think that pathway could work both directions?

Umm trash in.. trash out? Through the same pathway? Lol

And you don't even have ta stand on yer head! Lol

Although it is simpel and direct and has many years of recognition and track record... also be very careful to read up on the "directions" for use... because... the amount of toxins that are recovered into the solution is itself toxic and you MUST NOT swallow... and you MUST rinse VERY thoroughly the toxins you have arisen from within... OUT of you.

Also be careful and reiew using this approach if you or a person has the old metal fillings. Replace those old toxis puppies with new materials that don't leach heavy metals into your/their system when any form of detoxification is done.

Also be aware of the three day period when your body lets you know it is healing... severity depends upon the patient but normally isn't that big of a deal. Nasal passages opening up and draining etc. is almost always an occurrence.

There are a few other methods I haven't entered in to here but this will keep you busy for now humm? Lol

Never stop learning... when you do?. you stop all progress.

Kind like root canals... used to be the way to go... now a good dentist won't do one and takes them out when they fail... yet many dentists still do them... figure that one out. Lol
    Reminds me of a true story in medicine.
    Some 30 years ago an Australian doctor for some reason decided that there had to be more behind ulcers than spicy food and stress and took it upon himself to research the true cause of ulcers. He identified a sole bacteria... H Pylori.. Halabactor Pylori as being the cause. Upon discovery he went to a friend.. of coarse.. also a doctor and showed him what he had found. Uh oh... a quack! He went back and developed a simple solution to kill off the H.B. bacterium and went back to his friend and swallowed a soltuon implanted with a colony of those little puppies... and had his friend diagnose him with?. Ulcers!. He went back and took his solution and a week later... went back for exam... what? Ulcers gone? This doctor did a paper.. several... and was labeled professional to be.. a quack... even now... there are "some" doctors who refuse to accept H.P. as a cause for ulcers... and even then.. acceptance has only been in the past 9 or so years world and profession wide. The treatment has been made far more complex than ever needed to be... even to this day.

Proud of you.

Feel free to contact me anytime... I have an arsenal here lol and learn more daily.. well.. maybe every other daily... kinda thing. Lol
    (alternative medical approach arsenal.. that is)

Bubba/Rich
    marvingoff Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2011, 12:11 AM
    Hi, I have had an abcess for 2 days now and have been taking co codamol and ibrurafen. Is this a good mix for the pain relief as it is getting unbearable??
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2011, 02:46 PM
    Marvin, if you have an abscess you should be taking an antibiotic.
    lanat1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2011, 07:31 PM

I have an abscess because of a tooth, ran around to different dentists, each one giving different information, including one who said I didn't need anti biotics it would get worse! To make this short, I finally went to a relatives endodonist and he looked at me and said the infection is really bad and that I need a whole bunch of anti botics and to also use Peridex to attack this from all ends. UGH.. but now I am confused, I have appt for root canal in 6 days but I will not have used up all the meds by then. The original guy who saw me said I can wait 3 weeks but I am afraid I can't since too many consults give me different diagnosis... can I still get root canal before I'm done with the meds? I will have only gone through half of the meds by then. I just also found grapefruit seed extract and taking that too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tooth whitening [ 4 Answers ]

About the laser whitening in the dentist's office, has anyone has that procedure done, and if so, what were the results? I have a little discoloration and wonder if the whitening would even the color out when it is done... any thoughts?

When will permanent tooth appear [ 1 Answers ]

Our 8 year old daughter has lost one front top tooth and just lost her 4th tooth on the bottom. The other front top tooth has been loose for over a month but hasn't come out yet. The first top tooth came out I think about 4 months ago and nothing is taking it's place yet. The new permanent bottom...

Missing tooth [ 1 Answers ]

My pitbull is missing a premolar behind the canine on the upper mouth so I would like to know if its because he lost it as a 6 months puppy or because is just not suppose to be there and is something wrong with him not eating as much as he should be he only eats enough to walk he is not eating...

Abcessed tooth [ 2 Answers ]

Just spent the weekend with the agony of an abcessed canine tooth. Today, I wouldn't have recognized myself in the mirror. I am on 2 antibiotics, and wonder how long it will be for the swelling to go down, so I can see the dentist.

Discolored tooth [ 6 Answers ]

I have a discolored tooth that my dentist says has been caused by nerve damage. Is it possible to reverse the discoloration? Also, I rinse my mouth with baking soda. Could that have caused the discoloration? Is there any danger in rinsing my mouth with baking soda?

View more questions Search