Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eapg9964 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2006, 09:42 AM
    SOL in New York
    What is the SOL for credit card debt in New York? How do I find out if SOL has run out on a debt? Do the collection agencies or law firms have to supply proof that SOL has not run out?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2006, 09:46 AM
    http://www.cardreport.com/laws/statu...mitations.html

For NY, it's 6 years.

... but beware: the SOL is based on the date of last activity, which includes affirmation of the debt, payment made, charge to the account... whichever is last.
    eapg9964 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2006, 10:31 AM
    What does date of last activity mean? Affirmation of the debt... does that mean acknowledgement that is by phone or writing or by not responding to a collection letter?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2006, 12:36 PM
    Certainly a letter to the creditor or a phone call discussing the debt could be acknowledgment. Primarily, though, what sticks folks is the last payment issue:
    Folk want to do the right thing and make a payment... but that sets the clock back another x years.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support New York [ 1 Answers ]

If I'm required to provide health ins. Do I pay 17 percent plus health, Or is it part of the 17 percent total?

New York visit [ 2 Answers ]

I am coming out of Boston and I want to drive to a location in Connecticut and take a train into the city. I want to enter at Grand Central and not Penn Station. Where in Connecticut can I do this and I also need to know about long term parking (4 days). My son is applying to NYU and any...

British with J1 visa in New York [ 5 Answers ]

I am about to get a J1 visa for work in the US. I will be living and working in Manhattan for the full year. What taxes will I need to pay? Can I remain UK domicile if I still have a home in the UK and avoid any tax? Or does the J1 give me any reductions?

OPT Tax rate in New york city [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I am an Indian student on OPT about to start work in a non profit organisation. I wanted to know how much is the OPT tax in New York? My OPT ends on July 19,2006. My income will be around 30-35k during this year.

View more questions Search