Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    loupi01 Posts: 92, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2008, 09:40 PM
    5 gang switch box
    I have a 5 gang metal switch box with 5 switches. I want to eliminate one of the switches so I have only 4 switches. I don't want to use a blank to fill the hole with no switch. I want to use a switch plate for 4 switches. Can I cover the hole with a metal plate and mud over it so it looks like a 4 gang switch box?

Thank you in advance
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2008, 07:11 AM
    You might be able to remove 5 gang MR, and install 4 Gang MR, as both may? Use the same box, many do, unless you have the larger box, which may handle 5 + 6 gang.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 8, 2008, 09:25 AM
    Since you are going to be mudding the wall any way, make enough room to see if you can't just remove the last box, take the end plate off it and put on box number four. Should be a screw top and bottom ganging each box together.
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2008, 11:03 AM
    Is this Gangable boxes like hk mentions, or one large mud ring?

Feb 8, 2008, 09:54 PM
    It's one large 5 gang box. Do they make a 4 gang mudring (4 switches) that will fit on a 5 gang box?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2008, 07:50 AM
    If you have a solid 5 gang box, not the typical 5 wall cases joined together as explained by Hkstroud, then this is what your looking for,

See "Gang Box Adaptor Covers" at the bottom of :Welcome to Arc-Co Electrical Boxes and Fittings

A picture of the box you have would help eliminate the guessing.

Feb 9, 2008, 11:10 AM
    Thanks tkrussell,
    As always you have an answer. This is exactly what I need. Now I need to find a store that sells one...
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2008, 11:11 AM
    Real handy site from TK, You may not need to special order.
    Measure width of box, take that measurement to supply house. They may have the 4 gang mudring that works with it. Be sure you match the depth, Many Supply houses down here have 5/8" raised in stock, but have to order the 1/2" raised in stock? Would think
    It would be the other way around.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Three Cables Into Box - Dimmer Switch Not Working [ 3 Answers ]

There are 3 cables going into the same box - all three have a black, white and ground. I tried connecting a dimmer switch with one black, two reds, and a ground. I identified the hot wire and connected it to the black on the dimmer. The other two red wires from the dimmer were attached to the other...

How many double-gang outlets can one put on one 20A circuit? [ 2 Answers ]

Got a 3rd car garage. Installing 4 wall plugs - double-gang. That's 4 plugs per box. Anyway, I'm using 12 ga wire to do the job. Want 20 amps to power tools with. Don't want to 'run out' is what I'm thinking. The 'extra plugs' are for lights to see by, or any thing else that might need power....

Timer switch in triple gang box OK? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi - I recently installed a timer switch for my front porch light. It seems to be working fine. However, after installing it I noticed the package said "for use in double gang box." I have it installed in a tripe gang box, along with a conventional light switch, and a three-way light switch. Is...

Is Congress a Gang? [ 1 Answers ]

"Is Congress a gang, and does it need to be abated?" And we not-so-assertively assert that "Sometimes Congress could be a gang, depending on the future use and misuse made of Senate bill 155 -- the Gang Abatement and Prevention Act." And so could your motorcycle club, your chess club, your rose...

SHirt Tales? Get Along Gang? [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, so I grew up in the 80's and there was this cartoon with many different animals that had shirts on, and they would say different words depending on their moods (I think) Was this show called "Shirt Tales" or the "Get Along Gang"? I think the Get Along Gang was a different cartoon with animals...

View more questions Search