Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    headranger Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2005, 09:33 AM
    My Cursor prints out the word "MARK"
    This is a recent problem I have encountered. I am running IE6 WinXP Home.

Lately, if I go to a website and say, click on a search button with my cursor, where I click the cursor will automatically print out in small blue letters the word "MARK" (w/o quotes of course). This does NOT prevent me from com-pleting what I am doing on the search box but is very annoying.

I strongly suspect this is a spyware/bug/virus issue that I have picked up.

I have run Ad Aware and SearchBot Destroy but they haven't been able to remove it!

Does anyone know specifically what this is and what program/application (preferably free) will remove it?

Appreciate ANY ideas/suggestions
    HeadRanger George in SF
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 6, 2005, 11:28 AM
    Hi George

Try Microsoft's anti-spyware. You can find it at:

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx

Mar 6, 2005, 03:34 PM
    Will Try Out the MS AV Program
    Great suggestion. I have wanted to try out the new MS AV Program so I will do that this evening. Appreciate your time,
    HeadRanger George
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2005, 05:47 AM
    mark
    Hi,
    Searching Google and other search engines showed nothing about Mark.
    If you are curious about it, you could search your Registry, not making any changes.
    If you wish to try, be careful, and don't delete anything. You could possible find out what it is by looking at the Value or Name of it, if you find it.
    Go to Start/Run , then type in REGEDIT , and click on OK.
    At the top of the Registry window, click on Edit, then Find.
    In the space, type in mark , then put a checkmark by "Match whole string only", and click on Find Next button.
    If it finds the word mark, it will stop. You can click on a folder on the left hand side, and it will show what is in that folder on the right hand side.
    Then, press F3 at the top of the keyboard to continue the search.
    A popup window will tell you when the search is finished.
    Click on File, Exit, at the top to return to the desktop.

Best wishes,
    fredg
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 7, 2005, 07:27 AM
    Be VERY careful about following Fred's advise. The word Mark could easliy be part of a valid entry.

I had also googled it trying "Mark spyware", "Mark Adware", "Mark Virus" and some other variations I don't recall and couldn't find anything.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2005, 08:02 AM
    This doesn't really sound like spyware to me. Spyware normally has more malicious purposes. This sounds more like an accesiblity helper to me. Something to help the visually impared to see where they have clicked etc. Just something to think about. I'll see if I can find anything on that.

Mar 7, 2005, 08:49 AM
    The cursor and the "MARK"
    All good advice... Thanks so much
    It is more of an irritant... Hopefully
    I will find a (safe) way to make it go away

George
    phr0ze Posts: 106, Reputation: 3

Mar 7, 2005, 01:21 PM
    Maybe it's a feature of some other software you installed? Have you installed anything on the computer before this started happening? What are some of the new programs on the computer? Is the word clickable or does it react in any sort of way when you hover over it? Does it only work on search boxes or all web buttons? If you go to google.com or Yahoo.com does it appear on both of their respective buttons?

Thanks

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-EDIT=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Any reason the post above got a negative rating? Answers to those questions can help solve the problem. None of those questions were off topic.
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

Mar 7, 2005, 07:43 PM
    Try disabling autocomplete for forms. That function is in internet options, content.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Word means "reply quickly" [ 17 Answers ]

I remember that I have read and look up in dictionary a word which describe an ability or characteristic of a person (maybe a little child) who are able to reply (in communication) very quickly and clever. I read that word long time ago and now I need it. However, I cannot remember it and I...

Word, "requesting virus scan" [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Running Word, Office 2000, on Win XP, when we attempt to load a file from any disk, we get the hourglass icon, the Word message "Requesting Virus scan", and no progress from there. Our Virus scanner is ESET/Nod32. This is a new installation, with SP2 updates, the previous installation of the...

View more questions Search