Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jvierra Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2008, 06:43 PM
    Silicon heat transfer grease
    I'm installing a engine block heater into a Toyota Prius. I need to get some silicon heat transfer grease, but everything I find is geared towards electronics. Does anyone know what I could use for an engine block heater installation?

Thanks
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2008, 07:07 PM
    http://www.permatex.com/products/aut..._with_PTFE.htm

Silicone based anything is very bad for oxygen sensor. They should not be used.
    Note the above link suggests temperature sensors as an application.

Feb 28, 2008, 07:39 PM
    I don't need thread compound. The EBH doesn't screw in. It snaps in place. It came with a tube of silicon heat transfer grease which you coat the EBH with before you slide it in its location on the block. It's for helping heat transfer from the heater to the block.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Feb 29, 2008, 06:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jvierra
    I'm installing a engine block heater into a Toyota Prius. I need to get some silicon heat transfer grease, but everything I find is geared towards electronics. Does anyone know what I could use for an engine block heater installation?

Thanks
    You are referring to the engine block heater that operates in the cooling system to keep the coolant warm to prevent freezing?
    How is it being installed? Does it press into a freeze plug opening? If that is the case, liquid teflon should suffice. Did you check with the block heater manufacturer?
    The heat transfer is more to the coolant than to the engine block.

Feb 29, 2008, 03:16 PM
    Thanks. It does go into the engine block, but it has a machined hole to go into. It doesn't replace a freeze plug. And it doesn't go into the coolant.
    Weegieb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2010, 08:18 PM
    http://www.grainger.com

Search heat transfer paste.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Oct 30, 2010, 02:12 PM

Just FYI to anyone reading this thread, The Toyota Prius has a coolant storage tank which keeps coolant stored over 100* up to 36hrs.
    First gen Prius does not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Refractive index of Silicon [ 1 Answers ]

Good morning, any idea how to calculate both the real and imaginary parts of the complex index of refraction for silicon, for any wavelength of radiation, λ?

How Do I Best Transfer Heat From High Ceilings To Floor [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have 14-foot ceilings, ceiling registers and an old furnace. All my heat stays up near the ceiling and does not warm the living space below. I do not want to but a new furnace, but want to transfer heat down from the ceiling area to my living area. What is the best product to buy to...

Heat pump grease smell [ 1 Answers ]

We have a ground source heat pump which heats and cools our house. We notice a very distinct smell of "grease" when the air conditioner runs. It cools so we have been assured that the problem is not in the condenser. We do not notice this smell when it is in the heating mode. Any ideas?. JudyNTom...

Heat Transfer - Physics [ 2 Answers ]

a .500kg sample of water is at 15 degrees C in a calorimeter. A .0400kg mass of zinc at 115 degrees C is placed in the water. What is the final temp of the system if specific heat of zinc is 388J/kg/C and the specific heat of water is 4184J/kg/C? This was the exact question goven to me I think...

View more questions Search