Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Piccsweety Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2007, 03:52 PM
    Credit Rating
    Does being convicted of a felony or a misdemeanor show up or affect your credit rating in the US? I have been convicted and am now trying to purchase a house. Just wondering how this will change things. Thanks!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 7, 2007, 04:49 PM
    I am not aware of criminal record showing up on anyone's credit report.

Unless you have fines or money due to the court you are not paying,
    rlrl Posts: 44, Reputation: 4

May 3, 2007, 07:17 PM
    It doesn't show on your "credit report" about how you pay your bills. However if a lender, employer, etc uses a Consumer Reporting Company it can include a criminal report. It's known as your Consumer Credit report. The lender, employer then has to inform you that it will be conducting a criminal background check and you have to authorize the check in writing. Then the reporting company has to comply with reporting rules having to do with the state that the info will be reported to.

For states such as NY which have their own version of the FCRA laws, a criminal conviction can be reported for up to 7 years. After 7 years it can not be reported unless the consumer/applicant will be making $25,000 or more. Then the record can be reported indefinitely

For states that don't have their own version of the FCRA, they use the federal FCRA rules which limit arrest and adverse information to 7 years, except for criminal convictions which can be reported indefinitely

If the employer or lender does not use a background reporting company, then it doesn't have to abide by any credit reporting rules

It doesn't affect your credit rating per se but can influence a lender or employer decision to take adverse action

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unexplained excellent credit rating [ 4 Answers ]

A friend, after claiming bankruptcy, had to have a co-signer to buy a car. A few months later he tried for a small loan and was told that he had a three gold star credit rating and could borrow up to $75,000 with no problem. (This is in Canada) What could possibly have happened to give him such...

Looking for product rating software with... [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Guys, I am looking for a product rating software or code that I can use that can do the following: Example: I want to post 10 similar products in some random order and my visitors will rate the product. I want a software or code that can list the products,in the order of their respective...

Recessed cans and I/C rating, what does it really mean? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello again all, and thanks in advance for any advice you can offer. I installed 8 recessed (6") cans in my attic ceiling. they are rated for insulation contact (I/C) . they are installed in a 2x4 ceiling. i plan to lay insulation perpindicular/over the top of the 2x4's. and then also insulate...

Personl credit rating [ 3 Answers ]

I sold my house in April this year and am currently renting a property. I have never had any problem with my credit rating and have never been refused any creeit cards or loans! Until I moved into this rented house. Am I right in belive-ing that a persons credit rating can be affected by there...

View more questions Search