Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jennapbt Posts: 131, Reputation: 19

Apr 25, 2006, 07:23 PM
    Little Flying Devils
    For quite some time in my house I've had a wheat moth problem. It all started when ONE moth flew in the window and since then they have grown into a very frustrating colony. I have gone around the house w/ a rolled up newspaper but they are EVERYWHERE how can I get rid of these pests with out "bombing" the house with pesticides ( I own many animals so I can't do that)?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2006, 05:09 AM
    Hi,
    Moth Balls (repellant) will work, placing them in any places your pets can't get to.
    You could also try some Raid flying insect spray, being careful not to spray your pets. Eventually, the Raid (or something similar) should get rid of them.
    Best of luck.

Apr 26, 2006, 06:25 PM
    Yeah I've heard about the moth ball things. I don't know what type of moths they are I just know they are little tiny ones and seem to get into wheat type things ( my birds food which freaked me out once thinking they were maggots then realized they were moth worms:mad: ) I'll try it though if I can find it. Newspapers work well also lol.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2006, 12:16 AM
    Growing up, I use to call them pantry moths. LOL. Your best defense against them is to go through everything and find what they are nesting in and throw it out. It could be anything in any room of the house.
    My friend had a problem once where they were in every room in her house. She sprayed and cleaned, but they never went away. She had to go through every room inspecting stuff and throwing out everything infected. She found them in her daughters old Halloween candy that was left in her closet, vitamin bottles, and numerous places in the kitchen and in different foods.
    Good luck - they are annoying little suckers.
    Kae

May 13, 2006, 02:06 PM
    Yeah they are EVERYWHERE!! Every step you take in the house you just about get smacked in the face with one. It's very annoying and disgusting. They mainly get in my birds food and in the pantry downstairs, but they nest in the dang spackle of the ceiling also. It's hard to get the worms from in between the holes. I haven't had a chance to go see if they sell anything yet. I don't know what I'm going to do when I move!
    Jahiem28 Posts: 103, Reputation: 5

May 18, 2006, 06:11 PM
    Hey u guys Sounds like Indianmeal moth Spraying is not going to solve your issue right away. Best treating method is to used Pheromones traps and hang them up in the pantry and areas were they are located. Pheromones give off the chemicals produced by insects so they are attracted to the traps. Also go through food items and inspect. Place all food in plastic bags. Get rid of old bird or dog food which is most likely infested good luck.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2006, 03:02 PM
    Hey! Yes, as I was writing my last response I was thinking about how they nested in her popcorn ceiling, however, this is not their food source nor where the problem is coming from. If you are sure they are coming from the bird food - throw it out and spray a flying insect spray on every nest you see in the ceiling. If they do not appear to be gone after that, then they are still in some type of food product within your home. Unopened Boxed foods, bagged foods, unopened vitamins or natural herbs, even crumbs in the cracks of the couch can be harboring the little nasties- (I found worms in an unopened pouch of roman noodles once).
    It's a tedious process, I wish you luck.
    Kae

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Little flying bugs in basement [ 4 Answers ]

Hi.. I seem to be having a big problem down under... in the basement that is.. I always notice a lotta dead little, flying bugs (about the size of a pinhead or slightly bigger) all over my basement floor and many of them dead near my 2 basement windows. I figured it was the tall grass outside so...

Tail Devils and Board Wax [ 5 Answers ]

Hey does anybody have a specific best kind of board and rail wax I just ordered the element cube? I also have a question I just ordered five tail devils and would like to see a rating on them

Lint is flying out of our vent into the backyard [ 3 Answers ]

New home, 5 year old dryer... We have lint coming out of the vent connected to the dryer, and it is making a mess on our patio. Please let me know what I can do.

View more questions Search