Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ratchet Spanner Posts: 36, Reputation: 4

May 12, 2015, 07:59 PM
    Can you repair water soaked wood?
    Wood desk left outside, legs were water soaked several times, now the legs are showing damage, soft and stained. Is there anything that can fix this? I remember "back in the day" they would soak the sh#t out of the wood with some sort of sealer or epoxy? Am I wrong? Any help appreciated.
    spicywings Posts: 85, Reputation: 9

May 12, 2015, 08:30 PM
    Are we talking about wood that has been lightened (in color) because of water damage or completely saturated and showing signs of splintering when drying?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 13, 2015, 04:31 AM
    A lot depends on what species the wood is. If the legs turned black, chances are it is oak. If a lighter color, could be anything.
    Nothing will 'fix' it per se, but yes, you can epoxy it to basically fill in all the separated fibers. Epoxies are always two parts that have to be mixed.
    It would be easier to sand, stain, and polyurethane.
    Ratchet Spanner Posts: 36, Reputation: 4

May 13, 2015, 08:31 PM
    Thanks for the reply, the wood is splintery when dry and I remember the wood stuff in boat stores. Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to repair a wood burning fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

On my wood burning fireplace (gas start) there are louvers above and below the pit. The lower louvers have a lot of cold air coming from them, almost like it is fan blown. Is this normal? How can I stop the air flow? I thought of a cover on the louvers when not is use. Any help is appreciated.

Repair wood floor over concrete. [ 1 Answers ]

Tongue & grove manufactured hardwood glued to concrete has individual partial boards that have lost contact with glue. How do I repair since removal is not an option? Thx

Wood Repair of Fascia Board [ 4 Answers ]

Piece of wood is unmovable. Only edge of wood is careworn. Some have suggested Glazing Compound, Glazing Putty and wood dough. After it dries, you can sand it. Your thoughts?

Exgirlfriend soaked in water [ 3 Answers ]

Okay I have been going crazy trying to think about what this means so can someone help me For a about 2 monthes now I have been having a dream about my ex from North Carolina (where I used to live) Somehow always ending up in Texas where I live now and she's always soaking wet for some reason...

Wood fence repair [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I buy a metal bracket to repair a wooden fence post?

View more questions Search