Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ashleywagg79 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2012, 10:53 AM
    I have already printed the divorce papers out and my husband and I both signed them and have it notarized!! Is our divorce final or what do I do now?

Already have the divorce papers signed and notarized.. what do I do now
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 27, 2012, 11:34 AM
    Jump for joy (if that is appropriate) and get on with your new life and good luck !
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2012, 12:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ashleywagg79 View Post
    i have already printed the divorce papers out and my husband and i both signed them and have it notarized!!! is our divorce final or what do i do now?
    You take them to divorce court... and do what applies in the state you reside.

It's far from final... but the steps needed and wait periods will vary, again according to where you live.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 27, 2012, 12:06 PM
    Printed the papers from where?

Marriage is a civil action performed by someone authorized to do so by a civil authority. Therefore, it needs to be cancelled by a civil authority. Generally that is your local Family Court.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 27, 2012, 12:13 PM
    First without knowing where you are at, I can not give you good advice, for here in GA

Here in GA:
    There would still be a need to sign and have waviers of service, so you waive the right to be served notice of the court date.

Division of property will have to be covered.

** assume there are no kids since that require much more paper work plus classes put on by the court.

But you would take the papers to the clerk of the court and file for divorce, the papers you are doing are only filing. And if you do not have the correct papers, the clerk will not accept them. You pay a filing fee with the court. ( I believe here they needed 5 notarized copies, one they stamp and give back and the other ones go to the court.)

Then there is a court date set in front of the judge, The person filing, one asking for the divorce is required to be at court ( or at least their attorney) The other person is allowed to be there. The judge will review the documents and if there is any problem may make required changes in the documents. Or may call for a new court date.

Once it is approved by the judge, the judge will sign it off and send it back to the clerk of the court. Once the clerk receives it back, ** 1. in GA it becomes final when received back by the clerk. 2. in some places there may be a 3 to 30 day waiting period after it is signed by the judge to be final.

So you can still be months away from the divorce being final.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 27, 2012, 12:51 PM
    This is not the original post. Original only carried one sentence:
    already have the divorce papers signed and notarized.. what do i do now

How did OP add first part ?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2012, 01:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    This is not the original post. Original only carried one sentence:
    already have the divorce papers signed and notarized.. what do i do now

How did OP add first part ?
    That second part wasn't in what I responded to but the first was... as quuoted... likely they had TWO threads that were combined, and a mod or admin combined them for clarity.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 27, 2012, 01:20 PM
    OP posted in two threads that were merged.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I was married and I filed for divorce my husband and I both signed papers and before [ 3 Answers ]

I was married and I filed for divorce my husband and I both signed papers and they were filed with the courts. Well in the meantime we got back together but we did not apply for new marriage certificate or blood test neither did we stop the divorce preceedings. Now this marriage is over and I want...

Can a signed and notarized letter giving us irrevesible parental rights work [ 2 Answers ]

My husband has a daughter that is deaf mute and mentally challenged in her mid 20's. She has the mentality of a 12 or 13 year old teenager. Her mother has custody and guardianship of her. Two years ago the young lady got pregnant and had a baby girl, which the grandmother is taking care of as...

How do we get these papers signed over to us? [ 2 Answers ]

There is a woman that comes into my office building about once a month to pay her bills, she has 5 children and is pregnant again. She has adopted all of them out to other people and her mother. She has said to some of my coworkers, that she will sign her unborn child over to anyone that wants it....

View more questions Search