Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nikkor Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2010, 10:24 PM
    Amana high efficiency 80 furnace
    I have an Amanda High Efficiency 80 gas furnace. Gas only burns for about 4 or 5 seconds then shuts off. I have to reset everything but it just does the same thing... any ideas ?
    builderbob1 Posts: 41, Reputation: 2

Jan 8, 2010, 12:33 AM

Try a new flame sensor switch
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2010, 04:16 AM
    You hould be able to juct clean the flame senser instead of replacing,, remove and clean with steel wool or very fine sandpaper
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 8, 2010, 04:17 AM
    More than likely you will NOT need a new flame sensor. It just needs to be cleaned. Use fine sand paper or steel wood.
    Attached Images

Jan 8, 2010, 09:38 AM
    Thanks everyone but there is no sensor like the one in the picture above... next to the igniter (which glows fine) there is a brown boxlike thing about 1.5 " long by about .75" wide and .75" high. Could that be some swort of flame sensor ?

Thanks again

Jan 8, 2010, 10:45 AM
    Sounds like an old White Rodgers setup. Can you post a picture?

Jan 8, 2010, 11:05 AM

Here is what I have... the igniter glows fine and the gas ignites but shuts off after 5 or 6 seconds... anyone know what this brown box is?

Jan 8, 2010, 11:08 AM
    Here are a few pictures... hope this helps
    Attached Images

Jan 8, 2010, 11:27 AM
    Post the part numbers on that part please. It is a White Rodgers part but they made a few different ones.

Jan 8, 2010, 11:34 AM

On the bracket is... 960-23 then on the right side of the bracket is... 11002801

Can this style be updated to the heat sensor (stick like) ?

Thanks for all your help.

Jan 8, 2010, 11:56 AM
    I hope you do not hate me after this post but you have a (WR radiant sensor ignition system). Parts are NLA which means you are in for a expensive conversion and that has to be done by a REAL Professional that knows what they are doing. This is not something you want to play with. Usually both the gas valve and a new circuit board along with ignitor and sensor are needed to fix it.

What you may try. Clean the flame sense area in the W/R part. Sometimes it gets all gunked up and will not sense the flame. The terminals on the gas valve have been know to get dirt or loose connection. Take those off ONE at a time and use contact cleaner or fine sand paper or steel wool to clean the Male terminals. REMEMBER one at a time then put the wire back on the one you removed. This is so you do not mix up the wiring.

See if this helps and make sure the power is off while cleaning the items. BTW I have used windex successfully years ago cleaning the window on thet W/R sensor.

Post back with results and I will search around for more info in my old catalogues.

Jan 8, 2010, 11:57 AM
    BTW easy on that ignitor it is fragil and will break.

Jan 8, 2010, 12:07 PM

Thanks again... yes I saw that there is an update kit for about $250.00 but was hoping the old part was still available. The update just looks like a new sensor and circuit board. Looks like they use the old gas valve...

I'll try cleaning the contacts as you mention... funny it was working fine until I put in a new induction motor. Old motor had bearing problems and it made a loud grinding noise until it just stopped and of course there was a new style blower motor assy needed at about $160.00. I guess it's cheaper than a whole new furnace.

Jan 8, 2010, 12:09 PM
    Good luck with your project.

Jan 8, 2010, 12:20 PM

OK... Thanks again for your time...

Jan 8, 2010, 12:55 PM
    No problem post back with your results.
    AinOk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2012, 12:57 PM
    I had the same problem. Based on these posts, I cleaned my unit's flame sensor and the furnace is working again. Thanks so much!!
    chrisquina Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2017, 04:06 PM
    I had the same problem and history described by Nikkor. I replaced the induction motor just as Nikkor ddi and a few months later I am getting flame out and suspected part 11002801 just like Nikkor. I got a hunch that my induction motor might be sucking too hard making 11002801 think there was a flame out. I loosened the hose to the pressure sensor to allow more air into the induction motor and wolla the darn thing works again. You can visibly see less strain (pull from air) on the flames. I plan to just punch a few holes on the hose as a permanent fix. I hope this helps. In short, the new induction motor is drawing too much air across the flames causing part (sensor) 11002801 to think there is a flame out. The sensor is fine - fix the induction motor. Hope this helps. My unit is a Trane model TUJ100A960A1.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 4, 2017, 07:01 PM
    Hey chris, did you notice the post is 7 years old?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Amana 80 High Efficiency Furnace [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, Can anybody tell me if my Amana 80 SSE furnace has a Thermalcouple? My furnace started cutting out last night and I started asking around and a couple people told me that's what might be the problem. Someone else told me that my type of furnace doesn't have a Thermalcouple, but...

Amana Furnace - High Efficiency won't stay lit [ 3 Answers ]

We have an Amana furnace, model guc115c5oc, which does not stay lit. The unit will ignite, and then you hear several clicks ( which seem to be caused by the flame sensor for the rollback feature), and then the flame will turn off. It will try this about three times, and then the flame will shut...

Briant high efficiency furnace [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Briant high efficiency furnace i.e Air tight burner compartment, inducer motor And exhaust and intake air from side of house etc. I had similar problems with my gas furnace. I was able to solve the intermittent Problem of the furnace not coming on every time the thermostat called for...

Concord 90 plus high efficiency furnace [ 12 Answers ]

For past few days home temperature drops down approx 6-7C degrees at night so I checked the furnace which gives me sometimes (6) LED signals other times (3) LED signals. I followed the back panel instructions also drain out water from tube connecting to motor and restart, however each time it lasts...

Amana hi efficiency furnace [ 1 Answers ]

I have Amana hi efficiency furnace. For some reason when furnace is working it works only for about five minutes and than it shows the code that the furnace is overheated. So it runs for 5 minutes and than cool down for 10. Imagine what it takes to heat the house. Changing the filters on a...

View more questions Search