Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dell Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2006, 07:53 AM
    Interest Revenue
    Globo company accepted a $8000. Interest-bearing note receivable from a client on July 1. The note requires payment of 12% annual interest, and both the principal amount of the note and the interest will be due six months later, on Dec.31. If financial statements are prepared at the end of July, which of the following entries will Globo have to make at the end of July?

1- Interest Revenue 80
    Interest Receivable 80
    2- Interest Receivable 160
    Interest Revenue 160
    3- Interest Receivable 80
    Interest Revenue 80
    4- Interest Revenue 160
    Interest Receivable 160

Help would be appreciated

Dell
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2006, 03:05 PM
    $8,000 x .12 = $960 in interest per year

So therefore, 960/12 = $80 interest revenue/month.

The note was issued July 1, and you must prepare financial statements for the end of July (so, therefore, 1 month of interst).

Dr. Interest Receivable 80
    Cr. Interest Revenue 80

The reason you debit Interest Receivable, is because you don't actually receive the cash until Dec 31

Therefore, the correct answer is (3)
    Dr. Interest Receivable 80
    Cr. Interest Revenue 80
    Dell Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2006, 05:53 PM
    Thanks for your help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Short-term assets, Patent, Revenue and capital expenditures [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me if Utilities expense, Supplies expense, Advertising cost, Shipping cost if any of these are considered short-term assets? Is prepaid legal fees considered capital expenditure or revenue expenditure? and lastly I need help with this question: Show the journal entry, on June...

Revenue Recognition [ 1 Answers ]

The term, "earned," in revenue recognition refers to which of the following? A) The entity has completed, or substantially completed, the activities it must perform to be entitled to the revenue benefits. B) The product or service has been exchanged for cash, claims...

No Interest in Sex [ 8 Answers ]

Can someone please guide me. My husband and I have been together for 15 years now and recently, well for quite a while, I have had absolutley no interest in sex. I love my husband and he treats me well, but I am just not interested. I am a non-traditional student, and after being in college all...

Homework questions on Receivables and Revenue Recognition [ 2 Answers ]

Baffled by the below homework questions... 6.21. Journal entries for the allowance method. Data related to the sales on account on Health Company for its first three years of operations appear below: Accounts Written Off as Uncollectible in Year Year Sales on Account 6 7 8 9 10 Total...

View more questions Search