Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    michael16 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2005, 10:50 AM
    Shower drain pipe
    Hey Guys , Need some advice.

I am remodeling my bathroom, have removed the tub and walls and will install a shower only on the cement pad. The cement around the old drain pipe has never been filled in, which I guess is normal, however I need to extend the pipe to the center of my shower and will need to cement the area in, is this OK or is there something I should know before?? I have heard you are not supposed to cement on pvc any help is appreciated. First time to this site
    Mike
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 16, 2005, 01:25 PM
    Shower Drain
    Quote Originally Posted by michael16
    Hey Guys , Need some advice.

I am remodeling my bathroom, have removed the tub and walls and will install a shower only on the cement pad. The cement around the old drain pipe has never been filled in, which I guess is normal, however I need to extend the pipe to the center of my shower and will need to cement the area in, is this ok or is there something I should know before ??? I have heard you are not supposed to cement on pvc any help is appreciated. First time to this site
    Mike
    Hi Mike,
    Cement will not damage PVC. I assume you're extending the trap as well and not just running a pipe off it to the new location. Good luck, Tom
    michael16 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2005, 02:00 PM
    Drain Pipe
    Tom,
    Thank you for the quick reply, puts my mind at ease. However I was going to run off the existing pipe asI'm extending it about 18" with a 90 degree, bad idea?
    Mike
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 17, 2005, 02:36 PM
    Drain Pipe
    Quote Originally Posted by michael16
    Tom,
    Thankyou for the quick reply, puts my mind at ease. However I was going to run off the existing pipe asI'm extending it about 18" with a 90 degree, bad idea ??
    Mike
    Hi Mike,
    Define existing pipe?? I hope you meant moving the trap and not extending a line off the raiser connected to the drain.
    It will work that way but you're letting yourself in for the rotting hair and grease build-up in the lateral to come out your drain into your bathroom. If you move the trap this smell will be trapped before it can exit the drain. As for a 90 degree turn use a long sweep ell or 2 45 degree ells to make the corner or did you mean a upturned 90? There's always a trade off isn't there?
    Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pipe added to shower drain? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. This is my preliminary question about this nightmare of a shower we live with! Any insight would be appreciated. Sympathy is nice too. We have a fiberglass shower stall on the second story of the house. The drain sits higher than the floor of the shower leaving a constant puddle, even...

Shower leaking (shower drain pipe?) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I will apologize up front for my lack of knowledge in plumbing... but I know enough that I believe that I can fix this problem without having to add on the expense of calling a plumber. I noticed that there were a lot of ants coming into our bathroom. After laying traps and having no...

My drain pipe is leaking from my shower stall! [ 3 Answers ]

Okay here's the situation. I have a basement shower stall that is leaking water onto the basement floor on the other side of the bathroom. What this is doing is causing some mold on the wood frame on the other side of the wall. At first I thought it was the drain itself that was leaking and I...

Leaky drain pipe from shower and sink [ 1 Answers ]

The drain pipe from bathroom sink and shower is leaking through the ceiling into the kitchen below. Can this pipe be replaced without breaking through bathroom floor?

Shower drain not butting up with pipe [ 3 Answers ]

I glued in a 2" pipe to the drain and it did not quite butt up against it but worse than that when I attached the pipe to the flange there is a gap of about 3/8". The parts all dry fit no problem. I guess I didn't move fast enough or used too much PVC cement. My question is will this leak? Do I...

View more questions Search