Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 26, 2016, 02:47 PM
    Free easy to use pamphlet making program.
    Those of you that know me know that computers and me, we don't get along. Having said that, MS Word, even Word Perfect from a long time ago, and I, we got along, and I could do anything imaginable with those programs. I am quick to learn these types of programs.

Sadly my husband downloaded Windows 10 and now I no longer have MS Word and can't afford to re-buy it.

I support a dog rescue in Brazil, adopted one of the dogs in their care, he's been with us since January 2016. Best decision we ever made. They're a husband and wife team and they rely strictly on donations to continue doing what they're doing. They currently have almost 80 dogs in their care, dogs they feed, medicate, vet, house, and rehabilitate. They don't get any local adoptions because Brazil is not known for it's love of family pets. Their only hope is to find international adopters, and they're not well known enough to be flooded with requests.

So I thought I'd make a pamphlet for them, have a charity event/garage sale/craft sale, and hand out the pamphlets and hope that a few people choose to donate, or even better, adopt from Dogs in Brazil (that's the name of the rescue).

Well, I have since realized that making a pamphlet without my beloved MS Word, not as easy as I had hoped.

I have many many pictures of former dogs rescued and rehabilitated, and current dogs looking for a forever home. It's not going to be a 2 page pamphlet. I need a program that allows me to post the pictures, write the stories of the dogs, and do whatever else I need to do. I also need this program to be free because I really can't afford to pay anything.

I've searched online for weeks, found and tried many programs, and none of them are what I'm looking for.

So I'm asking for help in finding a program.

Here's what I need it to do:

Let me download and resize pictures.
    Let me post text.
    Let me choose background.
    Let me choose layout.
    Let me choose the type of pamphlet (ex: tri-fold, half fold, full page)
    Let me not pull out my hair trying to figure out how to do all of this.

Any suggestions?

I'm really stuck here, and I really need to do this. I promised, and I never go back on a promise.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 26, 2016, 03:41 PM
    Have you ever heard of open office? It is a free program and functions like Microsoft office.

Apache OpenOffice - Official Site - The Free and Open Productivity Suite
    Pets Expert

Jul 26, 2016, 03:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    Have you ever heard of open office? It is a free program and functions like Microsoft office.

Apache OpenOffice - Official Site - The Free and Open Productivity Suite
    Thanks Cdad. Definitely checking it out.
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 27, 2016, 02:19 PM
    Did you try it? I use it and it works well for me.
    Pets Expert

Jul 27, 2016, 06:38 PM
    Did you try it? I use it and it works well for me.
    Trying to figure it out. Haven't spent a lot of time with it yet. Just seeing it, it looks easy enough, so I'm hoping it meets my pamphlet making needs. :)

Thanks again cdad.
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 27, 2016, 06:45 PM
    Anytime ;)
    Pets Expert

Jul 27, 2016, 06:46 PM
    Anytime ;)
    You're going to regret saying that. You know I'll have more questions, and now you're my go to guy. :)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 11, 2016, 07:02 AM
    I just downloaded OpenOffice on my new desktop. I freaking LOVE it! So simple to use and almost identical to Word!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2016, 08:19 AM
    I've enjoyed LibreOffice for a while now. https://www.libreoffice.org/ It'll take care of all your Office doc/spreadsheet/presentation needs.

I use XNView for quick image cropping/resizing. XnView Software · XnView

I have not used this program personally but it's a free simple desktop publishing application: SpringPublisher - Design and print Business Cards, Flyers, Postcards, Letterheads and Labels within a few minutes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Easy Share Program won't open [ 1 Answers ]

I recently downloaded the latest version of Kodah Easy Share. The installation was successful, or so it said. Yet, I cannot open the program. How can I get the program opened?

What software is the best (easy/useful/professional) to program pic microcontroller ? [ 1 Answers ]

'm an Electronic dude who graduated from college about 2004. Recently, I've decided to go back programming micro-controllers and figured that everything about micro-controllers have been changed completely. When I was in studying, pic16f84 was not easily affordable but now, it's as cheap as $3....

I Need IXLA Web Easy Program, Help!? [ 5 Answers ]

Is there anybody that has ever used or at least is familiar with the IXLA Web Easy Program? It is a program that you can use to build web pages with out having to know how to do HTML or anything like that. It is for complete computer idiots. I hope there is somebody who knows about this type of...

Kodak Easy Share Program [ 3 Answers ]

I think I have lost all my pictures. I had over 900. The message that comes up is "that file may have been renamed or moved in your windows file system". Any way I can retrieve the pics or are they gone forever. I am not quite sure, but I think I deleted My Pictures accidentally. HELP.

I Want To Leave My Husband, But He isn't Making It Easy. [ 7 Answers ]

I have been with my husband for almost six years, but we have only been married just under a year, we have a two year old daughter who we adore... we are both very young, I am just 21 and he he 23, we have only ever known each other, he is all around a good guy, but he has a bad temper, when he is...

View more questions Search