Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jmcdtx1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2012, 04:01 PM
    Hot tub not heating
    I have a Cal Spa Model # 05-5M-CA-31 that is not heating. The display on the control pad shows the water to be 95 degrees when you first turn it on and then the temperature reading proceeds to rise. This is a false reading because the water is still cold and I know it does not heat that fast. After about 5 or 10 minutes the display will read OH and the motor will no longer run. I have reset the breaker, but the same sequence repeats itself.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 6, 2012, 05:30 PM
    First step is to confirm the tub is getting the power it requires. Most tubs are 240 vac, if yours is this type confirm you are supplying 240 and not 120, could have lost a leg from the panel
    jmcdtx1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2012, 06:40 PM
    Yes I am getting power on both legs
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 6, 2012, 07:55 PM
    So you confirmed 240 reaching the heating element?
    RTrobo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2012, 08:53 PM
    We are having the same problem. Did you figure out what to do to fix it? We just purchased this USED hot tub and replaced the heating element. We have read that it could be a dirty filter. We will see!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2012, 07:32 AM
    Almost sounds like It may be Heating but Not flowing. Be sure all valves are open. Its like it keeps heating until OH, which I believe it is overheating.
    I would put an Amprobe on the Heater wire.
    If you have voltage out of the Control board and it is not heating, The Element is likely open.
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2012, 05:59 AM
    Any good Electrician should be able to solve the Problem.
    I don't know if Troubleshooting Spa's are in Engineers scope of work, Sounds Expensive, There are Many types of Engineers.
    What did the Engineer charge?
    Johnterry, do you work for "Family Leisure"(hot tub)?
    markymark007 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2012, 10:38 AM
    Hi I have a aqua spa imperial inflatable hot tub when you turn the heat on it works but it not heat up can any one help
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2012, 11:49 AM
    It can't work and not heat up, I would clip and Amprobe around the Heater wire to check for draw, can check resistance of element if an Amprobe is not available.
    I also say If it has power to the element and it isn't heating, the element is bad.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you get rid of Hot tub folliculitis in your hot tub? [ 3 Answers ]

How do you clean your hot tub when you have had this bacteria (folliculitis)in it. It's the middle of winter(-25 C) and I will not be able to fully empty tub. Is there some chemical you can put in the water? I have maintained proper chemical levels. I use bromine instead of chlorine.

Our hot tub stopped heating to proper temperature. It will only hit 88 degrees and wi [ 0 Answers ]

Our hot tub stopped heating to the proper temperature. The tub will get up to 88 degrees and then stop heating any further. We have a Crystal Waters Spa.

Cracked Hot tub shell in empty tub [ 1 Answers ]

I drained my hot tub this winter, vacked out everything and wiped shell dry. Just opened it up as spring has started, and there is a very large crack on a seat going downward, 8-10 inches long. Can't imagine what caused this? Does anyone know? Tub did not have a crack when full. I live in a...

Adding solar heating loop to hot tub [ 2 Answers ]

My wife recently purchased an inflatable hot tub. Despite my initial misgivings and a slight beachball smell it has worked out extremely well. It a has pump unit for the filtering and jets, with an integral electric heater. It takes quite a while for the water to heat and the electric bill has...

Hot tub circulation and heating [ 1 Answers ]

I have a tiger river spa bengal model m was here when I bought the house. When just the circulation pump is running the temp stays at where you want it to stay... when you turn the main jets on about 10 min the water cools off... and doesn't warm back up you have to hit the heater thermal cut off...

View more questions Search