Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    theworkingpoor Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2011, 05:36 PM
    What to do about a debt collector summons with insufficient validation of debt?
    I have an old debt ( 2004-2005) that I am being sued for by an attorney hired by the debt collection agency. I sent my validation of debt letter first thing ( before any summons was sent to me). I received a letter on the attorney letterhead putling my debt and a few computer print outs. I sent another letter right away stating that this was not sufficient validation of debt and that I would like to request the full account history as well as the contract that states XYZ legally owns and is entitled to attempt collection of my debt.

About 3 days after sending this I received a summons to appear in court. Looks like it was Filed January 26- the same day they sent me these so called "print outs". Im scared to death, I feel like I'm being bullied, and I just want the documentation that I requested so that I can see exactly what is going on before I agree to ANY settlement conditions.

This is New York City. The collection agency is based in Georgia from what I can see on the docket.

Can someone please advise me on what my immediate next steps are. I can't afford an attorney.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2011, 05:40 PM

You got a summons... its already going to court unless you settle beforehand and pay them.

I don't see how you have much choice. Go in without an attourney... and you are essentually handing them an easy win. And you are STILL going to have to pay them.

Feb 7, 2011, 06:19 PM
    Comment on smoothy's post
    Isn't there a way I can file for this suit to be dismissed due to insufficient validation of debt. Once I get the paperwork I requested from them I can see if they a. own the debt and b. what they paid for the debt and then strike a settlement. I have cash to settle- but I want to see the proof.

I'm also planning on filing a complaint against them and countersuing for 1,000 for continuing to harass me without providing proof of debt. I've googled this law firm. They have had so many violations (one currently in court) against them that have no ruled in their favor. There must be a way for me to handle this without paying for an attorney that I can't afford on top of a settlement?
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2011, 06:35 PM

You are going to need a lawyer to do it... and then you are going to have to prove to the court that it actually is insufficient proof or its not going to get dismissed.

They only have to provide sufficient proof to the court the debt is real and valid... not to convince you.

You can try the cheap way out... but 99.99% odds are its going to end up with a judgement against you and a writ of garnishment.

Or you can hire a lawyer and improve your odds.

They have a lawyer... who is intimately familiar with this segment of the legal code... and then there is you. If this goes in front of a judge who do you think is going to win? And the Judge will follow the legal code as well.

You plan on hiring a lawyer for the countersuit as well? Or plan to do that on your own?

Just being honest and realistic here... they hold all the cards... and if you try to bluff them they will just call your hand in court.

You are not going to win a legal argument in front of a judge against a lawyer...

After all the law determines what is considered a sufficient validation of debt... not the debtor. A lawyer for example could tell you that IS or ISN'T sufficient validation. You will then know what is typical validation consists of and what's required as an example... for sure.

And if you are so sure its not... then let them take you to court and lose on that basis. Then you would be free of them.

Why would you settle now if you are so sure. You either owe the debt or you don't.

The judge is going to make them meet the standard of proof for the debt. They either can, or can't.

Feb 7, 2011, 06:42 PM
    What would you suggest if I decide to settle the debt? What percentage is realistic to offer them with the chance of making this go away?

Uber Member

Feb 7, 2011, 07:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by theworkingpoor View Post
    what would you suggest if i decide to settle the debt? what percentage is realistic to offer them with the chance of making this go away?
    Whatever they are going to agree to... short of the full amount. Hard to guess what they will or won't be happy with. And how long you have to negotiate before the court date. You can start at 50% and they will work up from there... but if the court date is close... you may want to start higher than that. ANd if you come to an agrement... its got to be in writing... and you better verify the case was dropped before the actual date.

Again... a lawyer will know what language to have and how it should be worded. ANd you don't hand over any money without the proper documents worded the right way. If its not... they can say its just a down payment on the debt.

Because after all, if you lose in front of a judge it's the full amount plus court costs. And they can garish your assets for it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to answer a summons from a debt collector [ 2 Answers ]

That leads to another question: how exactly does one 'answer' a civil summons of this kind? My situation is probably the same as drsimmons, so I'm wondering what kind of protocol or forms are involved in answering a summons, and who the answer should be sent to?

I replied to summons from debt collector--now what? [ 2 Answers ]

I received a summons from a debt collector which I replied to. They claim to be collecting on behalf of Beneficial. After I replied, they sent me something called "Exhibit A" which they intend to use as evidence against me which is some kind of a print out. There is no proof that they are legally...

Received summons from junk debt collector [ 2 Answers ]

I received a summons from a junk debt collector,whom I've never received any correspondence from. Attached to the summons was a "Generic Customer Membership Agreement" with a date of "XX20__, with evidence such as this, do they have a case against me? Also, what can I do to fight this, the card...

Summons served by debt collector [ 9 Answers ]

I'll try to be thorough.. I received a summons from a debt collector stating I owed a $2,200 from a 4 year old hospital bill that I didn't know I owed.. back in April 2005 I was sent a bill for what the insurance didn't cover and it was paid.. I have a money order stub with an odd amount...

Court Summons from Debt Collector [ 14 Answers ]

On Friday, I received a court summons "to answer a complaint from a debt collector" within 30 days. My situation: I have a lot of past due debt, sitting in collection agencies, as a result of a expensive divorce, etc. I am self-employed, have no assets, no house, and live on cash. I don't get a...

View more questions Search