Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ajaineng Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2010, 12:32 PM
    Slow flush toilet with slow drain bathroom sink
    I am hoping that someone can offer a suggestion to solve my problem. We recently purchased an 8 year old townhouse. We have a double vanity (2 sinks), a toilet, a free standing shower, and a jacuzzi in our master bath.

I have a two fold problem which I believe are related. The toilet last week started to flush very slowly, which eventually led it to not flushing at all. So, I removed all the water (using gloves, etc - not fun) and using a plunger got the toilet to flush slowly. So now it fills the bowl and than slowly empties. I bought an auger (3 foot) and did that a few times, as well as buying Drano Professional Prevention and have done that a few days in a row per instructions. I also bought this professional strength powder that has enzymes and did that for 3 days. All of this based on Home Depot's recommendations. I've also filled the bowl, flushing it with hot water, and the flushing did improve a bit, but not completely.

I also noticed that the sink closest to the toilet drains completely fine until the water has run for about 5 minutes and then all of a sudden it starts to back up and then drains very slowly. So I also plunged it (different plunger), used drano, and hot water flushes, but it still does the slow drain after 5 minutes.

The other sink, shower, and jacuzzi I should mention have no issues at all. I would've thought at least the other sink would have a slow drain problem, but that is not the case.

So I assume the toilet and sink share the drain somewhere and this is related. Am I correct to assume there is a partial blockage somewhere down the line or could this be a venting problem? How do I determine if it is a venting problem.

The master bath is on the 2nd floor, and the basement is finished and we are on city sewer.

My next step is to call a plumber, but was hoping I could get some suggestions.

Thank you
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2010, 12:37 PM

You have clogged drain, snake it from the roof vent, rod enough to reach from the roof to the basement floor plus 20 feet extra, good luck.

John
    ajaineng Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2010, 01:00 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion John - unfortunately we have a 3rd story loft, and there is no way I can get to the roof - safely. Looks like its time to call a plumber.
    BtDM Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Feb 3, 2010, 03:12 PM

With it being on the 2nd floor and the 1st floor OK, and the other fixtures near it OK, it will likely be that the toilet is wet vented by the sink. So you can pull the toilet and snake from the flange down the drain and you should be able to clear the blockage easy enough. You can also run the sink while the toilet is off to keep water visible in the flange ( just don't let the water get too high or it will flood on the floor ).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet slow drain,no Flush [ 1 Answers ]

A new problem,toilet,when flushed,fills to top of bowl,nearly overflowing then slowly drains,not the good flush we are used too.

Slow Bathroom Sink Drain - but Tub and Toilet Drain Fine [ 4 Answers ]

I am hoping that someone can offer a suggestion to solve my problem. We recently purchased a 60 year old home. The sink in one of our bathrooms drains completely fine until the water has run for about 5 minutes and then all of a sudden it starts to back up and then drains very slowly. I have...

Slow drain in sink bathroom [ 2 Answers ]

What can I do about a sink drain in my bathroom that the water will not drain I tried to snake it but the auger won't run through the line

Slow bathroom sink drain [ 1 Answers ]

Recently we remodeled our third floor bathroom which involved relocating the sink, toilet and tub. Since the remodeling, our new bathroom sink doesn't drain properly. At times it fills up and then slowly drains out, other times it works fine. (The toilet and tub drain fine and they are all...

Upstairs bathroom sink slow drain [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, again I am at my end with this sink... but still can't afford a plumber! It is the only drain in the house that has this problem. I just tried using my hose and a small nozzel to put high pressure water through the drain in an attempt to unclog it... well here is the funny thing......

View more questions Search