Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Berns Posts: 41, Reputation: 5

Jul 12, 2008, 01:10 PM
    Identifying a SIGNATURE on a painting?
    Hello fellows,

can anyone help me with the signature of that painting, I can't even recognize a single letter, well appart from the "i" in the first word - anyone with an idea?
    i think it might be from 2nd quarter of the 20. cent, but I am open to your suggestions.

thank you, berns
    Attached Images

0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2008, 02:38 PM
    Tricky one... sheer guess work here but I'm seeing... stlin .pnd.. or.. stuin . Pnd... or... stlin.fnd..!

Can you not find a reputable art gallery local to yourself that might help you, or visit the library who are sure to have lots of books containing information on artists from that era, maybe even an antique shop / dealer might have some information.

Jul 12, 2008, 03:00 PM
    Stlin. Seems plausible to me... beginning from the first letter, if that one is a "S" than the 2nd one could easiely be seen as a "t" the 4th I guess, is quite sure an "I" followed by an "N" and a DOT. - so its ST*IN. p/f/g/j ** DOT

Why two abbreviation?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2008, 01:15 AM
    If there is a frame for this, are there any other letters, number or words on it? Thanks!

Jul 16, 2008, 02:00 AM
    Unfortunately there are no other letter or signs on it, not even on the revers. The frame is not the original frame and hasn't any marks eather.
    mackythehacker Posts: 191, Reputation: 10

Jul 16, 2008, 03:58 PM
    I'm going to say... Seiln fird? That's what it looks like to me :S lol
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2008, 11:52 PM
    You may be on to something there, mackythehacker!

I would like to add that what I see appears to be a watercolor painting.

Jul 17, 2008, 10:12 AM
    Yes, it's a kind of watercolour-painting, its gouache. I can't even make it out if its in Italy or France, just the still reminds me a bit on Eduard Hoppers early years
    mitcheroo Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2008, 11:41 AM

My guess: " gavin ford ", ignoring the dots.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Identify Avante Studios and/or Artist Signature - Oil Painting [ 8 Answers ]

This oil painting endorsed on the back as Avante Studios, Inc. is a mystery to me. From what I know, my parents acquired it in the 60s, and as you see, the subject matter definitely embodies the owl craze of the era. Can anyone help identify the studio, artist, or value? Any information is...

Indentifying signature on oil painting [ 6 Answers ]

Hi everyone, could anyone help me please identify the artist of this oil painting please. It's a oil painting on canvas, 24" x 40" and its signed in the bottom left corner with the name Santos. I was given this painting about 5yrs ago, it had been on the wall of a local pub for yrs but when they...

Unidentified signature on painting [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, I have an oil painting with a signature I can't read. I don't know how to add a picture. It would be great if someone knew who this artist is. Any help with a source to search signatures ( free ) or help with how to atach a photo would be appreciated, Thanks, Diane

Identifying an artists signature [ 2 Answers ]

The painting is of a man wearing a fishermans type hat long curved pipe in his mouth and the signature looks like Mio- czl the O has a line pertruding out the top and bottom but not through it. The MIO has a line under it, the characture in front of the z may not be a c but is connected to it cz l...

Identifying signature/hallmark on vintage Navajo bolo. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Have recently bought a silver bolo which I believe is Navajo in origin. I was told it was at least 60 years old. Quite large it measures 3 1/2 x 2 3/4 inches and weighs on a postal scale 120 grams. The front is set with pieces of coral and turquoise and in the center is a dimensional figure...

View more questions Search