Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smallengtech Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2006, 06:05 PM
    Xp pro network with 2 nic's on 2 networks
    Any help would be greatly appriciated

I am trying to network 5 pc's running xp pro, each has 2 nic cards, and need to access 2 different segments.

The first segment consists of 5 pc's (with an assigned ip setup on one nic), wired to a gateway, and a server. (inhouse point of sale network).

The second segment is the same 5 pc's (second nic set to get ip automatically), wired to a dsl (static ip) modem/router with. (internet)

The problem that I am having is that (from any of the pc's) if both nic's are enabled I can not access the internet but the pos network is accessible and reliable. When I checked the ip of the nic's they were correct.

When I disable the nic for the pos network then and only then can I access the internet.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Press2Esc Posts: 251, Reputation: 10

Feb 20, 2006, 01:01 PM
    ?? Sounds to me like you are trying to access to separate network concurrently.. POS & Internet? First you don't need 2 NICs - this is typically reserved for servers. Segments (or separate networks) can be handled via subnet masks. Depending what you are ttrying to accomplish you may want to look at a router (vs proxy server).

I guess that's what you were asking...

P2E

Quote Originally Posted by smallengtech
    Any help would be greatly appriciated

I am trying to network 5 pc's running xp pro, each has 2 nic cards, and need to access 2 different segments.

The first segment consists of 5 pc's (with an assigned ip setup on one nic), wired to a gateway, and a server. (inhouse point of sale network).

The second segment is the same 5 pc's (second nic set to get ip automatically), wired to a dsl (static ip) modem/router with. (internet)

The problem that I am having is that (from any of the pc's) if both nic's are enabled I can not access the internet but the pos network is accessable and reliable. When I checked the ip of the nic's they were correct.

When I disable the nic for the pos network then and only then can I access the internet.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Feb 20, 2006, 01:41 PM
    Does the POS network need the gateway? I think the problem is that you have two default gateways configured (one per card) and the POS network is higher up in the selection order. This means your machine will always try to exit the network on that gateway (until you disable it)

To check the selection order of the network cards:
    Right click "My Network Places" & choose "properties"
    Click the "advanced" menu from the top of the window and choose "advanced settings"
    This will show you the connection order of your network cards.

Try changing the order around and testing, but if both networks need a gateway you could just be changing the problem around to the pos network!

Anyway, note your settings before changing anything, then at least you can return to how it was before you started if necessary
    smallengtech Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2006, 03:58 PM
    Thanks for the input... I am trying to access two separate networks at the same time. I was told today by Netopia Tech Support (dsl router) that the configuration to make this type of setup work requires changes to be made in DOS using the route command. I am currently looking into the route command but have not tried it yet.

The POS network does require a gateway due to our co-op connection with the warehouse. I will check into the order of the network cards.

Thanks again!
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Feb 21, 2006, 10:57 AM
    smallengtech,

StuMegu answer is still valid. You can't really have two default gateways. What you can do is figure out what networks you need to reach from the POS network and add those networks explicitly to your routing table on the 5 PC's. So if you need to access the Internet from your DSL side then chances are that you need the default gateway that is handed out to you from the DHCP side (the DSL side). On your POS side of the connection you'll need to remove the default gateway and in its place put specific routes to the networks that you really need to get to from that side. The fact that you can't access the Internet when the static side (POS side) is active tells me that you shouldn't have default on that anyway and that you're restricted on that side.

Find out what the IP networks that you need to reach are on the POS side and add those using the "route" command. You can make the entries permanent using the "-p" option to preserve the routes across reboots.

Good Luck.
    Casey
    Wendy225 Posts: 240, Reputation: 4

Feb 21, 2006, 04:59 PM
    Goto www.networkmagick.com download their demo and try it out, it's so easy to install and it's made to network up to 5 PCs it is the most wonderful and easy networking program I have ever tried, I bought a license for it on sale for $29.95 and got a 2nd one free.:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computer networks [ 1 Answers ]

Send message in a lan network in NT operating system using dos prompt?

2 Networks 1 PC [ 13 Answers ]

Hi - I'm wanting to connect my girlfriend's laptop to my home network (so we can share files and she can access my printer) but this is already configured to be on her company network. Is there an easy way for me to configure her laptop so she can access my network when at home (as well as work...

Networks [ 1 Answers ]

How do I get my two pc's to hook up so I can share files between the two?

Two Network cards in One computer accessing two networks.. [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering if you could help me with a small problem. I have one network card (A) accessing the internal network i.e.. Net. Printer, shared folders on other computers, and shared servers. Another network card (B) accessing a public network address for VoIP and T1 traffic i.e.. Ports...

Computer networks [ 1 Answers ]

Send message in a NT network using dos prompt?

View more questions Search