Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lecuyerj Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2005, 12:45 PM
    Start up Billiard Hall
    I am looking to start up a pool hall in my area. Before I do so, I am looking for information about startup. In particular, how big a space do I need? how many tables for my geographic population. How full can I expect my tables to be? what is the typical profit margin for pool halls?

Does anyone know where I can get the information? associations, gvmt agencies, etc..
    Dreamer Posts: 76, Reputation: 13

May 23, 2005, 11:42 PM
    Hello lecuyerj,

I have found a site that might be very helpful to you. The link is:

http://www.valuationresources.com/Re...ardParlors.htm

If this does not have the information you are looking for, I would recommend checking in with your local Town Hall or equivalent for you in your area. Sometimes certain towns have restrictions of their own that you would need to know about as well. So I would recommend checking in to that anyway, even if you find what you need on that site listed above.

I hope this helps. If you need any more suggestions, feel free to ask. :) Good luck with the billiard hall! I hope it works out for you.
    lecuyerj Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2005, 05:41 AM
    Thank you
    Dreamer,
    That was very kind of you to take the time to reply to my inquiry. It was very helpful and I will be ordering some information from some of the financial benchmarkers. This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again.
    Dreamer Posts: 76, Reputation: 13

May 24, 2005, 08:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lecuyerj
    Dreamer,
    That was very kind of you to take the time to reply to my inquiry. It was very helpful and I will be ordering some information from some of the financial benchmarkers. This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again.
    I am so glad that I was able to help. Thank you for the feedback too :)
    marcusdurant Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2007, 10:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lecuyerj
    I am looking to start up a pool hall in my area. Before I do so, I am looking for information about startup. In particular, how big a space do I need?, how many tables for my geographic population. How full can I expect my tables to be?, what is the typical profit margin for pool halls?

Does anyone know where I can get the information?, associations, gvmt agencies, etc...?
    Your space must have the required per-table dimension a home table would require. Most 9 footers neet about 12 feet by 16 feet around, or a square footage of roughly 190 square feet. Multiply that times how many tables you want, add some for a bar if needed, space for walking around the table area, and so forth, and you have your need sq. ft. As far as how your capital gain will pan out, my suggestion is to visit a mid size hall on a week night, offer the clientel something they aren't getting there, and don't forget to anticipate one and a half to double that business on weekends. Also, keep your place distanced from any others. The less hustlers, sharks, and pros have to drive, the happier they are to dump their pockets at your joint.
    cconeus Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2012, 08:07 AM
    Because I couldn't find this answer elsewhere on the internet in a clean and easy format, I'll post it here.
    Space requirements for pool tables vary by size, and remember in a bar setting you can pinch on space a bit by having stools and such that are mobile (or shorter than the pool table) to overlap on square footage. But that aside here it is:
    7' pool tables require a minimum of 229 sq ft.
    8' pool tables require a minimum of 252 sq ft.
    9' pool tables require a minimum of 276 sq ft.

The reason for this is because when you have a ball frozen to a rail, you need to be able to put your tip to it, and still be able to stroke the cue back and forth. The average cue length is 57", so a 57" cue from the inside edge of the rail on either side of space is required. On a 7x3.5 ft table (standard bar size) this means you need a minimum of 13.5 ft with the table centered, and this will leave you three inches of stroking room. Not a comfortable amount by any means, however most bar players don't care.

As an avid pool player, and one who makes money doing so, I strongly encourage leaving us more space than that, as I would probably go elsewhere to play if conditions were so cramped (unless that's where the money is :))
    rigol Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2012, 09:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lecuyerj View Post
    I am looking to start up a pool hall in my area. Before I do so, I am looking for information about startup. In particular, how big a space do I need?, how many tables for my geographic population. How full can I expect my tables to be?, what is the typical profit margin for pool halls?

Does anyone know where I can get the information?, associations, gvmt agencies, etc...?
    Rigo luvian
    rigol Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2012, 09:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lecuyerj View Post

How much do I need to start a billiard businesses?
    Billiard Player Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2012, 03:39 PM
    What area are you in? Different States, different Counties, different Cities, different Towns, different Villages.
    Forget about government agencies as they are a circle-jerk/pipe-dream, at best.
    No bank/financial institution willing to help any new business venture or existing small business unless you are covered by Slacker special interest.
    Bad economy, people aren't filling tables due to lack of employment, high gasoline, increased/high taxes, malese/generally depressed feelings.
    High rents/sq.ft; Should not exceed 1/3 of your cash flow. Overhead expenses. Are you going to draw salary? Business insurance. Maybe whatever licensing required if you plan on beer or hard liquor to be served. Will you be required to have an open kitchen? Then, Health Dept permit for kitchen, workers' food handling certificates, fixtures. I have my own line of Slate tables, most people, do not. What are your local zoning laws for hours of business? General area of what clientele affluence? Don't forget your corporate taxes, resale tax certificate, workman compensation insurance, ObamaCare insurance [I can feel my hair turning whiter and falling out of my head just writing this]. Will you be required to have a Security officer/guard? Sidewalk snow removal, landscaping, parking area, rubbish removal, handicap toilets male/female dedicated use separate from regular restrooms male/female. Only one toilet? Increased liability insurance required for injuries/harm/loss/pain/suffering/trauma/disease allegations/sexual harassment allegations. Flooring, non trip hazard/flame retardant. Fire insurance with monitored alarm systems and CCTV, POS software and PC station. Bank account. Payroll account because IRS will hurt you bad if you have off-the-books workers. Extra insurance may be required [$0.5Mil, here] in case of cue violence/assault/loss of eye(s)/hearing/etc as alcohol + pool = violence at times. Third party damage suits, husband hurt in fight, no sex, you get sued for damages as lawful right of spouse [today it could mean same sex marriage/civil union] and you must now answer to Judge + lawyer fees. Are you really thinking about this, seriously? It's not fancy cars and big cigars. It's long hours and pinching pennies, at best.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Opening a bar/pool hall [ 10 Answers ]

My husband and I are currently researching opening a bar/pool hall in Florida. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how we should go about starting this. I have gotten a little information about the liquor license in our area, but it been so extremely expensive, we have decided to go with...

2006 Hall of Fame [ 3 Answers ]

It was announced last night on Mondat Night Raw Brett Hart and Eddie Guerrero will be inducted int o the Hall Of Fame..

Odd smell in hall way, electrical? [ 1 Answers ]

There is an odd smell in the hallway of our home. It smells kind of like burnt electrical but not quite. My wife thought it may be coming from the heater (there are no vents in the hallway only an air intake). I can smell it and have smelled it for a few days. The wife says she has smelled it...

Opening a Pool Hall in Chicago [ 1 Answers ]

Hello everyone. I was posting this to see if anyone could give me any feed back on the procedures and tips of opening a small business pool hall. I am currently 23 yrs old, holding a steady tech support job. I guess what I am looking for is more or less suggestions relating to the actual finance...

Pool Hall [ 0 Answers ]

Hello experts, I'm about to start my own bar & pool hall business. I've found this existing bar & restaurant & it's seemed relevant for what I've aimed for. But there is one problem. The bar area is not big enough to put any pool tables. This place also comes with a four-bedrooms apartment...

View more questions Search