Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2010, 12:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenadale View Post
    The fan I have is about 20 years old. The neck of the switch broke, but the switch still worked. I did what most everyone else did, went to HD and Lowes for a 4 wire, 3 speed switch and installed it. The fan would not work! I uesed my OHM meter to check and compare the switch configuration of the old switch with the new switch. The were very different. The original switch was a KTE 308-A. Using my meter I measured between L and each of the other three connections( 1,2,3) for each position of the chain pull. The following are the results of the test.

Position L / 1 L / 2 L / 3
    1 ON ON OFF
    2 ON ON ON
    3 OFF ON ON
    4 ON OFF ON

This is the switch configuration that I need. It may be time to replace the fan.
    CeilingFanParts.com Home should have that switch for you.

Ceiling fan pullchain replacement and repair - Ceiling Fans N More
    Oldsman Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2010, 09:23 AM
    Contact SWITCHCO. Only correct answer! After searching these forums and many others, I finally broke down and called the Texas based company and a few days later and simple a description of and previous wiring layout for my fan, and POOF my fan once again works beautifully.

Thanks so much Switchco.

Aug 9, 2010, 09:27 AM

The ONLY correct answer is to call, email, fax SWITCHCO.

After searching this and many other forums, I decided to call switchco and after a brief description of my fan and its previous wiring scheme, a few days later and POOF my fan works beautifully once again.

Thanks so much Switchco
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2010, 05:50 PM

If the manufacturer of the fan is still in business, I recommend calling them first. If not, I recommend calling CeilingFanParts.com Home
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2010, 06:45 PM

Both are the same site.
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2010, 07:14 PM

I know.
    cycloneracer Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2010, 10:28 AM
    Here is what the problem is boys when you replace your original 4wire/3 speed switch with a Home Depot 4 wire/3 speed switch... I'm an electronics engineer and fell into the same trap you guys did. I figured it out though after burning 3 hours of time. The damn 4wire/3speed switch Home Dopot sales (and I may add the only one they sell) has a different internal switching logic than the original! Inside the switch is a electrical commutator that has the fan speed wiring logic on it for your particular fan. The switch HD sales even though it has the Same numbers on it has different switch logic! So what I did was remove the top half of my old switch by releasing the clips on the side and installed it on the new bottom half of the HD switch. Since the pull chain part was bad on mine that fixed it. That was a stumper for a while though!
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2010, 10:42 AM

Was the trick preloading the spring a little more?

Aug 15, 2010, 07:56 PM

No. I just swapped the top half of my bad switch and installed it on the bottom half of the new one. In other words, I used the mechanical (pull chain) part of the new switch and installed my electrical part (top half of switch) on that to make one whole switch again. And it worked just fine. Spring tension was OK on my electrical part of the switch.
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2010, 06:20 AM

I've repaired many switches, easier than finding a replacement, actually in most cases, it was just a broken chain, found lack of preloading spring enough is learned quickly.
    Here is the Logic for many fan switches:

CeilingFanParts.com - Switchco Products - Pull Chain Switches
    kevin39 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2010, 05:07 PM

Here is a possible solution.
    I have a Regency, Professional Series Fan
    The wiring on the switch is 3=Purple, L = Black, 2 = Brown and 1 = Gray, with 5 wires coming out of the capacitor.
    If you have this wiring sequence, call SWITHCO at 800-365-4548 and order Part No: A09. It worked for me. If the wiring is different, call anyway with the wiring sequence and they may be alble to help you out. Good Luck.

Aug 24, 2010, 04:51 AM

They did a wonderful job for me, I called them, gave a description of my fan make and model unknown, anyway, told them how it was wired originally and they didn't even have to look it up, the nice lady knew her stuff and a few days later, my fan worked perfectly.
    Logitech702 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2010, 12:20 AM
    I replaced a 4 wire Unit (3-Speed Fan Switch) on 4/22/2010 Earth Day because the old one that it was on my ceiling fan started to sparked fire. So what I did, I went to Lowe's and bought a new 4 wire Unit (3-Speed Fan Switch) so I replaced it and it didn't work when I installed the new 4 wire Unit (3-Speed Fan Switch). So what I did, I used a # 18 solid wire and hooked them on the 4 wire Unit (3-Speed Fan Switch) and it started working again. (:

Sep 25, 2010, 01:36 PM

You got to watch out on what replacement switch you are buying. What I noticed is there are at least two different types of 4 wire switches at Home Depot. They look the same from the outside except for the color of the plastic, but what the different is the pattern they electrically switch the four wires which is not the same. There is a logic tumbler inside the switch and that is what is different between the two types. If you install the wrong switch, the fan will not work or just hum in one of the speeds. So if this happens buy the other switch.
    Logitech702 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2010, 05:14 PM
    ↑1= Yellow
    ←2= Purple
    ↓3= Black
    →L= Orange
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2010, 06:38 PM

This is from Ceiling Fans Earlier post:

L - Black, 1 - Grey, 2 - Brown, 3 - Purple
    L - Orange, 1 - Black, 2 - Yellow, 3 - Purple
    L - Black, 1 - Grey, 2 - Brown, 3 - Green
    L - Grey, 1 - Yellow, 2 - Purple, 3 - Black
    L - White, 1- Black, 2 - Blue, 3 - Yellow
    MN_Jack76 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2010, 01:39 PM
    I know this is an old post but maybe I can help someone who has the same question. 3 speed pull chain switches are not universal. Fans have different wiring, different color codes and most importantly different "cams" inside the switch. Just because a switch looks similar, It is probably different inside. Here is a company I found that you can send your switch to. http://www.fanmanlighting.com/shop/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=69 You will have to send the switch to them and they will have to break the switch open to identify it and will hopefully have a replacement.
    ricanet Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2011, 07:47 PM
    If you look up into the fan housing and see a rectangular black device with three wires coming out of it, you must get a 'Dual Capacitor' switch. The power wire (black)goes on #3; the wire from the fan direction switch (purple) goes on the 'L' terminal; the two wires from the rectangular device go onto (yellow)#1 and (Blue)#2.
    rdsatkaycee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2011, 06:18 AM
    This has been going on so long, and don't know I I posted the solution for this or not, but Home Depot carries two switches; one works and the other one doesn't. I at one time had written down the number of which one works. Try one, if it works great, if it doesn't, take it back and get the other one.
    jcorbat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2012, 11:37 AM
    The best way to figure out switch compatibility is using a continuity meter and paper clips:
    http://www.dansfancity.com/techhelp/parts/testswitch.htm

Test the old switch and then compare to the operation of the replacements. Make a grid on Excel to keep track:

Defond E72989
    L+1 L+2 L+3 1+2 1+3 2+3
    Pos1 y n y n y n
    Pos2 y y n y n n
    Pos3 y y y y y y
    Pos4 n y y n n y
    Pos1 y n y n y n

Westinghouse 77020
    L+1 L+2 L+3 1+2 1+3 2+3
    Pos1 y n y n y n
    Pos2 y y n y n n
    Pos3 y y y y y y
    Pos4 n y y n n y
    Pos1 y n y n y n

Westinghouse 77021
    L+1 L+2 L+3 1+2 1+3 2+3
    Pos1 n n y n n n
    Pos2 n n n n n n
    Pos3 y n n n n n
    Pos4 n y n n n n
    Pos1 n n y n n n

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

New pull chain switch for ceiling fan light [ 14 Answers ]

Hello, I just purchased a new pull chain switch for my ceiling fan light. The lead wires coming down are white and blue. The wires on the new switch are black, blue and red. Normally these are simple installs but I need help on how to wire these due to the different colors. Thanks!

Replacing a pull chain switch [ 1 Answers ]

Help! My new pull chain switch has (only) two black wires; how do I connect it to the ceiling wires (one black, one white, plus the ground wire)? Thank you! Willow

Wall Speed control on old ceiling fan install new with pull switch [ 3 Answers ]

I have an old celing fan purchased in the 80's with a wall mount speed control knob. I purchased a Hampton Bay, Huntinton III 522-306 3 speed control with a pull chain. When installing the unit the fan does not work. I have a white wire, a black wire, a blue wire for the light and a ground...

HELP! Wiring a pull chain in a Hunter ceiling fan [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, my 81 year old mother's ceiling fan pull chain broke off inside the switch. I was careful when I changed the switches, only changing one color at a time. It didn't work, so I called my electrician brother-in-law who discombooberated the whole mess, told me the switch I got was bad and went on...

Ceiling Fan Pull String 3-speed Switch [ 1 Answers ]

What if someone by mistake wrongly connect the load on the switch (L) to one of the other wires (yellow, red, green)? Can this (cross wiring or mixing) cause (cross-wire) damage to the motor? Please help. I need this help urgently.

View more questions Search