Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SassyVixen Posts: 16, Reputation: 5

Feb 23, 2009, 02:24 PM
    Guppy babies
    Does anyone have any information on the gestational period of female guppies? I thought it was around 20-25 days, but it has been about 4 weeks since I noticed my guppy looked pregnant and still no babies. Any ideas?
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2009, 07:21 PM

It's been my experience that it can take anywhere between 20 and 45 days.
    Good luck.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2009, 09:24 AM

Don't forget to get a breeding trap or you will have no baby guppies!
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 02:36 PM
    Great advice above about the breeding trap. It actually differs than a breeding net.
    Livebarer fish, like your guppy eat their babies as soon as their born if they get a chance to.
    A trap allows the babies to fall down into a safe area away from the mother.
    A few will survive inside an aquarium if there are a lot of great hiding places.
    They tend to get sucked up by filters too so a net or some other device to block the filter intake valve can be useful as well.

The mother can go back inside the tank as soon as she has the babies.
    The babies will need to stay in the breeding container or put in the breeding net until they are big enough to not fit in the other fish mouths.

Good luck
    SassyVixen Posts: 16, Reputation: 5

Feb 27, 2009, 10:50 AM
    :) Thought you guys would like to know - we had babies last night. Late last night I noticed that the female looked different - like she was about to explode and she kept circling the plants and a big rock cave I have in the tank. I was going to stop after work today and pick up a breeding tank - but too late. I managed to find 4 of the babies and put them in a breeding net before I went to work. Hopefully I'll find more when I get home tonight. Thanks for the advice!
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2009, 10:13 PM

That's great news! Good Luck with them!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Having babies with someone else [ 15 Answers ]

I have recently found out my husband slept with someone else and she is now pregnant. This was hard enough but now I have found out it is twins. When I approach the subject he withdraws into himself and get I don't know whenever I ask him anything - I just don't know what to do anymore??

Rat Babies! [ 3 Answers ]

Oh my. Here we go. We have a trio of rats, whom we we assured were all male. Well as nature would have it, the person who sold us the rats was wrong. Upon coming home from work today I discovered our "Sam" was actually a "Samantha", and she had 14 babies. The other two are assuredly males, and I...

Where do Babies come from? [ 1 Answers ]

Where do babies come from?:confused:

Babies last name what one does he get? [ 13 Answers ]

I don't know where to put this ? But I was wondering if I am not a married with the father of the baby does he get my last name or does he get the fathers last name??

What age do babies . [ 3 Answers ]

What age do babies... start holding there own bottle? start talking?? begin potty training? start crawling?? start walking?

View more questions Search