Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bm21 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2012, 10:48 AM
    Hair follicle test. Infrequent user.
    I might have to take a hair folicle and urine analysis in the next couple weeks. I smoked two hits of marijuana from a bong a week ago. They weren't big hits they were relatively small. And before that I have not smoked in a year. I work outside and workout 4 times a week, so my metabolism somewhat high. Will I pass my tests?
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2012, 10:58 AM
    A hair test (HDT) is not going to detect that level of use. The time span is unimportant as is your metabolism. THC and COOH, the metabolites tested for, are simply not readily incorporated into hair. Require multiple and sustained use to show up in HDT.

Jul 25, 2012, 11:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBill100 View Post
    A hair test (HDT) is not going to detect that level of use. The time span is unimportant as is your metabolism. THC and COOH, the metabolites tested for, are simply not readily incorporated into hair. Require multiple and sustained use to show up in HDT.
    Thanks for your quick response. Will it make a difference if they take body hair? Because my hair is most likely to short for a test sample.
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2012, 11:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bm21 View Post
    Thanks for your quick response. Will it make a difference if they take body hair? because my hair is most likely to short for a test sample.
    Here is the problem. The incorporation rate into hair is about the same. Chest hair will measure the same as head hair, under arm a little less than head hair, but pubic hair could measure a lot higher. While the amount absorbed may be nearly equivalent the growth rate varies. So my worry would be that there is a greater chance for detection of the use from a year ago in these alternative sites. Of course that depends on how heavily you used a year ago and it probably an outside chance of detection. Except for pubic hair.

Jul 25, 2012, 11:42 AM
    Here is the problem. The incorporation rate into hair is about the same. Chest hair will measure the same as head hair, under arm a little less than head hair, but pubic hair could measure a lot higher. While the amount absorbed may be nearly equivalent the growth rate varies. So my worry would be that there is a greater chance for detection of the use from a year ago in these alternative sites. Of course that depends on how heavily you used a year ago and it probably an outside chance of detection. Except for pubic hair.
    I was not a heavy user a year ago just occasionally. Maybe 10 times a month. And I do not think my pubic hair is long enough for a sample either. So what would be the best place for them to test?
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2012, 11:49 AM
    They usually go for axillary (under arm) and that is even less likely than head hair to show THC. It's not terribly important as regardless of site chosen hair is a poor medium for THC. Regardless of substance tested for always avoid pubic hair. That usually isn't an issue.

Jul 25, 2012, 12:07 PM
    They usually go for axillary (under arm) and that is even less likely than head hair to show THC. It's not terribly important as regardless of site chosen hair is a poor medium for THC. Regardless of substance tested for always avoid pubic hair. That usually isn't an issue.
    So, in your opinion do you think I have a good chance to test negative?
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2012, 12:10 PM
    It would be exceptional if you did not.

Keep us posted with the result.

Jul 25, 2012, 12:15 PM
    It would be exceptional if you did not.

Keep us posted with the result.
    I will thank you for the advice.

Jul 25, 2012, 05:49 PM
    A couple more questions. How do you think I will fare on the urine analysis? And would it be to my benefit to prolong the test as long as possible or would it make a difference?
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2012, 07:12 PM
    THC is more easily detected in urine than hair. In hair they are looking for only one metabolite, COOH, where in urine screen any of the many cannabinoids or combination thereof will show up. While the amount smoked is unlikely to result in a positive, the nature of the metabolites are somewhat unpredictable and I wouldn't be entirely comfortable at a one week interval... just to be safe.

While I can't advise you on a specific action I can tell you that time is your best friend in any type of drug testing.

Jul 26, 2012, 10:36 AM
    THC is more easily detected in urine than hair. In hair they are looking for only one metabolite, COOH, where in urine screen any of the many cannabinoids or combination thereof will show up. While the amount smoked is unlikely to result in a positive, the nature of the metabolites are somewhat unpredictable and I wouldn't be entirely comfortable at a one week interval...just to be safe.

While I can't advise you on a specific action I can tell you that time is your best friend in any type of drug testing.
    How long before you would be comfortable taking the test?
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2012, 10:47 AM
    Based on the amount smoked I doubt that THC was detectable for more than a few hours, in other words at peak. I see that you say that you are to test in the next couple weeks and that should be more than adequate.
    drazil Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2012, 08:56 PM
    Did you get the result back on your test? I have a hair test coming up. I am an extremely infrequent smoker - maybe 2-3 times at 2-3 hits in the last 3 months, but this is a pre-employment screen for a dream job, so I'm freaking out, naturally.
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2012, 05:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by drazil View Post
    Did you get the result back on your test? I have a hair test coming up. I am an extremely infrequent smoker - maybe 2-3 times at 2-3 hits in the last 3 months, but this is a pre-employment screen for a dream job, so I'm freaking out, naturally.
    Following are three (3) recent results from this site:

LINK 1

LINK 2

LINK 3

Aug 11, 2012, 07:40 AM
    I have not Taken my test yet I'm sure it is coming soon
    drazil Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2012, 07:25 PM
    I passed my test - I knew research was in my favor, but I was still nervous.

Like I said, I'm an infrequent smoker, but have smoked a few times in the past few months leading up to my hair test. I have long blonde hair (naturally it's probably light brown) and I wasn't about to cut it.

I didn't really do anything extravagant to prepare for the hair test, but I did buy a detox shampoo (Magnum Detox Purifying Shampoo) and I followed the directions the night before I took the test, just for extra peace of mind.

I take adderall every day, at least 20mg, and that didn't show up in the hair test either. Just in case anyone is worried about that.

But yeah, thank you Dr Bill for providing lots of articles and other posts to help ease my mind! Hopefully this is helpful to other people, too!
    eastbayo3 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2012, 02:39 AM
    Dr. Bill,

I am writing to you this evening because I have a follicle drug test for a company that uses Psychemedics in two days. Now, I rarely smoke. I did, however, smoke a few times over the weekend of August 4, 2012. I took maybe 8 to 10 hits over a two day period. Prior to that, I had not smoked in about 8 months. I'm freaking out here because I desperately want this job and I don't consider myself a stoner, I just happened to make a few bad decisions while I was drunk. Any suggestions or advice you would have for me would be extremely grateful.

Thank you!
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2012, 07:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by eastbayo3 View Post
    Dr. Bill,

I am writing to you this evening because I have a follicle drug test for a company that uses Psychemedics in two days. Now, I rarely smoke. I did, however, smoke a few times over the weekend of August 4, 2012. I took maybe 8 to 10 hits over a two day period. Prior to that, I had not smoked in about 8 months. I'm freaking out here because I desperately want this job and I don't consider myself a stoner, I just happened to make a few bad decisions while I was drunk. Any suggestions or advice you would have for me would be extremely greatful.

Thank you!
    Given the usage that you describe THC-COOH will not be in your hair. In order for this metabolite to rise to the level of detection requires sustained use across a period. “In contrast to other illicit drugs, hair analysis lacks the sensitivity to act as a detector for cannabinoids” according to Musshoff and many other researchers.

DuPont 2008, Random Student Drug Tests Are They Effective for Identifying Occasional Drug Users? p. 8

Musshoff F, Madea B. (2006) Review of biologic matrices (urine, blood, hair) as indicators of recent or ongoing cannabis use. There Drug Monit. Apr 2006;28(2):155-63
    eastbayo3 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2012, 04:44 PM
    Thank you, Dr. Bill. I appreciate your response and keeping me somewhat at ease. Although I am still very worried and freaked out, I'll keep my fingers crossed. Btw, what's the best body part to keep tested? Hair? Arm? Legs?

I'll keep you posted of if I pass or not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Question for DrBill--Infrequent User of Marijuana + Hair Drug Test [ 17 Answers ]

Hi DrBill, I know you've answered this question a couple of times before, but each situation is different, and like most people going in for a hair test, I'm getting slightly paranoid and nervous. I won't bore you with a long intro, so here's the gist of it: I am a very infrequent smoker. ...

Hair Follicle Testing for Infrequent User [ 12 Answers ]

I was given a hair follicle test on 2/10/2011. The most recent time I smoke was the evening of 1/31/2011. It was from a bowl of which I only took about 3 or 4 hits. Before this I had not smoked since Nov 27, 2010 where again I smoke from a bowl just taking 3 or 4 hits. Before this incident I...

Hair drug test - infrequent user - please help [ 14 Answers ]

Ok. I'm a very infrequent smoker. The last time I smoked was June 16th (4 hits off a blunt). The previous smoke before that was late Jan-early Feb. Now I have a hair test and urine test coming up soon. What are my chances of passing my hair test. I know I will pass my UA. I keep my hair very short....

Infrequent user of weed urine test [ 0 Answers ]

I smoked last Wednesday night and took a drug test six days later. On Friday of the week that I smoked I passed a take home drug test. In total it was six days between the time I smoked and the time I had to take my pre employment drug test. Am I going to pass the drug screen? I am an infrequent...

View more questions Search