Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cbella Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Oct 13, 2006, 07:21 AM
    Whalen Heat Pump - no heat!
    Hi,

I live in a condo and have a Whalen Heat Pump. I changed the thermostat to a Noma digital programmable model (model # 52-255808) in the summer time. The A/C works well and the fan works well, but I did not test for heat as it was summer when I installed it.

Well, now that the weather is getting cold, I am not getting any heat! I am wondering maybe I did not wire the thermostat properly.

There are 4 wires: Red, Green, Yellow and Blue.

So, I connected them as follows:

Red - RH (RC and RH has a jumper on it)
    Green - G (it says Fan Relay on the diagram)
    Yellow - Y (it says Cooling Relay on the diagram)
    Blue - W (it says Heating Relay on the diagram)

I shorted the Red and Green wire and the fan does come on. I did the same for the Red and Yellow wire and the air comes on. But when I shorted Red and Blue I hear a click but nothing else happens.

Please help. It's freezing in my unit.

Thanks in advance!

Oct 13, 2006, 12:52 PM
    Can someone confirm that the Blue wire should be connected to the 'W' terminal?

I'm thinking maybe the Blue wire should not go to the 'W' terminal.

Thanks!
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2006, 01:00 PM
    Process of elimination means the blue is for the heat, and should get connected to the W terminal. When you shorted the blue to red, and something clicked, it may take a few minutes for your heat to actually start.

Let it run a while, if the heat stll does not start, then there is a problem with the heating unit.
    Kender Posts: 64, Reputation: 13

Oct 13, 2006, 07:45 PM
    Are you sure that it is a heat pump? If so try connecting all four wires together. R-power, G to turn on the fan, Y to turn on the compressor, and B for the revercing valve to reverce the flow of freon. If that works then that t-stat will not work on heat pumps.

If it is not a heat pump then your wiring is correct. Try turning the fan to ON then turning on the heat. Some systems will not turn on the heat with out the fan being "ON" like Trane air handlers not sure about whalen. If that works than there should be a gas elect switch that needs to be changed on the t-stat.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2006, 10:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cbella
    Hi,

I live in a condo and have a Whalen Heat Pump. I changed the thermostat to a Noma digital programmable model (model # 52-255808) in the summer time. The A/C works well and the fan works well, but I did not test for heat as it was summer when I installed it.

Well, now that the weather is getting cold, I am not getting any heat! I am wondering maybe I did not wire the thermostat properly.

There are 4 wires: Red, Green, Yellow and Blue.

So, I connected them as follows:

Red - RH (RC and RH has a jumper on it)
    Green - G (it says Fan Relay on the diagram)
    Yellow - Y (it says Cooling Relay on the diagram)
    Blue - W (it says Heating Relay on the diagram)

I shorted the Red and Green wire and the fan does come on. I did the same for the Red and Yellow wire and the air comes on. But when I shorted Red and Blue I hear a click but nothing else happens.

Please help. It's freezing in my unit.

Thanks in advance!
    I've never seen a heatpump that operates on just 4 wires. But after 20 years of service work I've never heard of a Whalen either. Or a Nora. Look in the installer set-up book for the thermostat. You will need to get into the program mode and tell it that it is a heat pump, and weather the reversing valve is actuated on cooling or heat. Do you live in a very warm climate where an emergency heat source is unnecessary?

Oct 15, 2006, 08:29 AM
    Thanks to everyone who responded. The issue is now resolved and here's what we did to resolve it:

Blue wire connects to 'B' terminal
    Yellow wire connects to 'Y' terminal
    Green wire connects to 'G' terminal
    Red wire connects to 'RH' terminal

By default, there is a jumper on RH and RC, leave that as is.
    There is also a jumper on HG, leave that as is.

To add:
    Get a very short wire to create a jumper on 'Y' and 'W' terminal.

Turn thermostat on to Heat and it works!
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2006, 08:38 AM
    Glad to hear you got it figured out. The blue wire must be for the reversing valve. Did you check and see that the A/C also works correctly?

Oct 18, 2006, 08:19 AM
    Yes, I've confirmed that a/c works as well!

Thanks!
    df186 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2010, 10:52 AM
    OMG!! You guys just saved me a TON of cash.. This fixed my issue!! Thanks sooooo much!!

I have the same Heat Pump and I was having the same issue.. this is my config:

Black wire connects to 'Y' terminal (installer reversed the wires)
    Yellow wire connects to 'W' terminal

To add:

Turn thermostat on to Heat and it works as well as Cool!

Oh, and used the Honeywell RTH2310B Programmable Thermostat
    df186 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2010, 01:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by df186 View Post
    OMG!!!!!!! You guys just saved me a TON of cash.. This fixed my issue!!! thanks sooooo much!!!!

I have the same Heat Pump and i was having the same issue.. this is my config:

Black wire connects to 'Y' terminal (installer reversed the wires)
    Yellow wire connects to 'W' terminal

To add:

Turn thermostat on to Heat and it works as well as Cool!

Oh, and used the Honeywell RTH2310B Programmable Thermostat
    Opps.. spoke too soon... so this doesn't work.. it doesn't seem to switch the flow from cold to heat.. it only gets stuck on one..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat Pump - Payne [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. I sent a request to Carrier regarding my question but they want to send a service rep. instead of answering my question. I have a one year old heat pump that was added to my medium efficiency furnace. I live in Canada, West Coast, and the heat pump will now not continually provide cool air. It...

Heat pump question [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new homeowner and we have a lennox heat pump unit. It has been very hot here recently averaging about 90+ and I have noticed that during the day my heat pump seems to run almost continuously with the tstat set at 74. It will cut off once and a while but its usually only for about 5-10...

Heat Pump? [ 2 Answers ]

I recently had someone install a brand new 98% eff. Furnace with a 13 seer a/c. They offered to put a dual fuel heat pump in for $2000.00. My gas bills are still a little higher than I would like and I wanted to know if a dual fuel heat pump is really worth the extra money and if it would save me...

Heat Pump [ 7 Answers ]

I have a Lennox heat pump. My builder was required to put one in per our neighborhood association. However, he set the thermostat so that it would never kick on because he thought I would like the hotter air provided by the gas furnace. I was thinking with the price of gas on the rise the heat...

View more questions Search