Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mustaine Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2006, 11:18 PM
    My drain pipe is leaking from my shower stall!
    Okay here's the situation. I have a basement shower stall that is leaking water onto the basement floor on the other side of the bathroom. What this is doing is causing some mold on the wood frame on the other side of the wall. At first I thought it was the drain itself that was leaking and I thought about getting the plumrite drain. First I covered the inner part of the drain with a garbage bag like substance to see if the top part was the leaky part. Its still leaking which leads me to believe that the leak is in the drain pipe underneath the shower, probably at a connection where abs glue was once used. Is there any possible way of fixing this without having to remove the shower stall? Im trying to do this as cheap as possible but so far one contractor has basically told me that shower stalls suck and that he will build a new shower for $2000 while fixing the wall behind the shower as well. Help me!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 2, 2006, 06:10 AM
    I don't understand, "First I covered the inner part of the drain with a garbage bag like substance to see if the top part was the leaky part. Its still leaking"
    Do you mean that you blocked off the drain and filled the base with about a inch of water? And it still leaked? That puts the problem on the seal at the lip of the drain. If I've misunderstood please correct me. If the leak is indeed under the base can you get to the leak if I tell you how to fix it without removing the base? Regards, tom
    mustaine Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2006, 06:15 AM
    Let me clarify. Sorry its hard to jot down. I cut the "inner material" into proper size and glued it into the drain. I did this in a way so
    It seals all areas from top down into drain. It still leaked so it tells me that the leak is underneath the shower stall where the pipe runs. Is there anyway to fix this without removing the shower, or am I screwed?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 2, 2006, 06:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mustaine
    let me clarify. Sorry its hard to jot down. I cut the "inner material" into proper size and glued it into the drain. I did this in a way so
    it seals all areas from top down into drain. It still leaked so it tells me that the leak is underneath the shower stall where the pipe runs. Is there anyway to fix this without removing the shower, or am I screwed?

Did you seal off the lip as well as the drain itself? If so you didn't test the seal. If the leak is under the base is there a way you can get to it? Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaking Tiled Shower Stall Floor Drain... [ 1 Answers ]

We had our shower stall replaced in 1998 due to the pan beneath the tile leaking... a new liner and re-tile job was done... well, now there is a wet spot below in the same spot and after opening the ceiling, I find that the plastic fitting going into the plastic floor hub is leaking. Looks like the...

Shower Stall is leaking through the floor [ 11 Answers ]

I have a stand up shower on the second floor of the house. We've had two chronic issues lately. The hot water faucet is difficult to shut off and sometimes takes a lot of pressure to shut off Second, the shower often fills with water and is slow to drain. Last night we developed a...

Shower leaking (shower drain pipe?) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I will apologize up front for my lack of knowledge in plumbing... but I know enough that I believe that I can fix this problem without having to add on the expense of calling a plumber. I noticed that there were a lot of ants coming into our bathroom. After laying traps and having no...

Shower stall leaking [ 2 Answers ]

Seems to be leaking at front by door. Do all shower stalls need concrete it seems to have give in the floor at this time has nothing under shower base what to do?

Leaking shower stall [ 4 Answers ]

Have a corner, "neo-angle" shower stall that's a few years old. It's begun leaking from the metal "frame" -- mostly from where a plastic "cap" goes on (cap is missing). It's 1/4 inch or so above the molded part, next to the door, but in the side frame, not the frame that holds the door. It also...

View more questions Search