Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cazozaya Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2008, 11:47 AM
    Odor coming from kitchen sink
    There is a sewer gas smell coming from my kitchen sink. When I first bought the house the washer backed up and the rotor-rooter guy said that the main drain has two large pipes coming into it at the same place and not to run the dishwasher and washer at the same time. Would weekly applications of a drain cleaner do any good, or be a waste of money? Thank you- Cindy
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

Jan 1, 2008, 12:04 PM
    I recently fixed a similar problem with sewer gas being emitted from the kitchen sink area and basically the whole house stunk.

The kitchen drain and the washer drain came together into a Y connection that fed the main 4" sewer pipe. The pipes were installed with PVC and the connection into the "Y" from the kitchen had come apart at the seam.

Apparently the so called plumbers that did this job did not use primer nor PVC cement when the connection was made. The result was leakage into the crawl space under the house that accumulated. The smell was like sewer gas since the bathroom area further down was creeping up and the kitchen water draining all the food and waste that was leaking.

I crawled underneath and cement the connection correctly and now the smell is finally diminishing.

You might want to check your connections if you can.

HTH
    cazozaya Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2008, 03:31 PM
    I don't have a crawl space underneath my house. This seems to be getting scary!
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

Jan 2, 2008, 04:04 PM
    Ok, so now I have a couple of questions for you since you state that you do not have a crawl space:

1. How did your plumber know about the connections under your slab? Did he run a scope to check this out or just made a professional judgement?
    2. Does your sink trap (the "U" pipe under your sink) have water in it? Is it leaking inside the house?
    3. When you run your washer and it drains, does the water come up into your kitchen sink?
    4. How long have you had the house and what happened when you noticed the smell?

Advise when you can.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Odor coming from under Kitchen sink [ 73 Answers ]

I have noticed an odor coming from the cabinets where the kitchen sink is. I have looked for any leaks where the sink is, but have not found any. Could the odor be coming from the sewage? How can I tell? If so, then what can I do to get rid of it? Any help would be a appreciated. Thanks.

Removed unility sink. Now a foul odor coming from the cabinet below. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My husband removed the utility sink in our utility go give us more counter space. Now about a month later there is a very foul odor coming from the cabinet below where the sink used to be. Can you tell me how to get rid of the stink? It seems like it is coming from the wall. tlgoetz

Odor Coming From Sink Drain [ 1 Answers ]

What might cause an odor coming from my kitchen sink drain? It has a disposal which has been run recently and is working fine but the smell is persisting. Any ideas?

Sewage odor coming from bathroom sink only [ 1 Answers ]

We have a small 1/2 bathroom on the main floor of our house. We just started getting a sewage odor from the sink the last couple days. I pulled the drain stop out and pulled out hair, etc. I think I cleaned most of the stuff out. We just got a new washer and dryer and installed it downstairs about...

Mildew odor coming from the kitchen sink [ 2 Answers ]

There is an mildew odor coming from the kitchen sink. I have tried putting baking soda, lemons and bleach down it but nothing has worked. It seems like it is mainly coming from the garbage disposal side of the sink. On some days it is stronger than others, but now I have to keep the drain caps...

View more questions Search