Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2007, 05:07 AM
    Automatic Transmission "2" & "3"
    2002 Ford Explorer.

If I put it in "3" instead of Drive, it's in 3rd even from startup. Is this normal?

I was thinking that if I have it in 3rd, then 3rd would be the maximum... that is, that it would start in 1, then go to 2 and 3 but not higher.

Thanks!
    BananaPie Posts: 59, Reputation: 7

Feb 1, 2007, 05:51 AM
    Traditionally, 2 limits the vehicle to the first 2 gears. 1 will keep the vehicle in first gear.

So, 3 should work the way you expect. But, I can't really find anything regarding a 3rd mode.

If you have your manual, it may tell you in there.

Also, you should know that the 2002 Explorer is notorious for transmission failures. Ford just can't get it right when it comes to their automatic transmissions.
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2007, 10:02 AM
    Thanks BananaPie.

The manual is no help and Googling was no help either since the key words are so vague.

I'm glad to hear that about the transmission. I'll have to have it checked out before the extended warrantee I have expires.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2007, 10:17 AM
    This is how many automatic transmissions operate:

1 First--Driving in 1st gear; stays in 1st gear, does not shift up. For engine braking.
    2 Second--Driving in 2nd gear; stays in 2nd gear, does not shift up and down. For engine braking or better traction starting on loose or slippery surface.
    D3 Drive (1st through 3rd)--For rapid acceleration at highway speeds and general driving; starts in 1st, shifts automatically to 2nd then 3rd, depending on vehicle speed and throttle position. Downshifts through lower gears on deceleration to stop. The lock-up mechanism comes into operation in 3rd.
    D4 Drive (1st through 4th)--General driving; starts in 1st, shifts automatically to 2nd, 3rd, then 4th, depending on vehicle speed and throttle position. Downshifts through 3rd, 2nd, and 1st on deceleration to stop. The lock-up mechanism comes into operation in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, when the transmission is in the D4 position.

Therefore, in your situation, Rick, I think driving in 3rd stays in 3rd gear, does not shift up and down. If it was D3, however, it would function as mentioned in the description above.
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2007, 10:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by txgreasemonkey
    This is how many automatic transmissions operate:
    D3 Drive (1st through 3rd)...
    So John, do you think that my experience is a "failure"... or something actually wrong, or going wrong, with my transmission?
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2007, 11:43 AM
    If it's a 3, and not a D3, I think it's acting the way it should. It should not upshift or downshift, but lockup in 3rd. If you have a D3, then it should upshift from 1st to 2nd to 3rd; however, it should not upshift to 4th. Similarly, it should downshift from 3rd to 2nd to 1st, if you have a D3, and are decelerating to stop.

As we talked before, the key to proper ATX performance, longevity, and fuel mileage is to drop and clean the pan, change the filter, and refill with Mobil 1 Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF every 30,000 miles. To simplify the process in the future, I recommend drilling a 1/2" hole in the transmission pan and installing a B&M drain plug ($8). Ford often embosses a "O" on the pan, to mark the spot for installing a plug.
    educatedhorse_2005 Posts: 500, Reputation: 78

Feb 1, 2007, 07:10 PM
    See I have a different opinion on this one.

With most modern automatics they have a cut off or whatever you want to call it.
    They will not allow you to over rev the engine and take a chance of ruining your transmission or motor.

If I have manuely put my transmission in low gear or first gear it. No matter what at 30 mph it will kick it up to second gear.

If I have manuely put it in second gear at 45 mph it kicks it up to third gear.

If I have manuely put it in third gear and it gets up to 70 mph it will kick into overdrive.
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2007, 05:17 AM
    I'd be fearful of doing something that might void the warrantee. I typically drive vehicles about 5 years, so I think I'll get it in for it's final checkup and trade er in for a smaller suv.
    walkerg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2009, 09:15 AM
    2002 Pontiac Gran Prix, quit in drive, only moves in 2nd, is it time for a rebuilt or what is my other option
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2009, 09:24 AM

walkerg, what's the mileage on the car? Has the transmission fluid and filter been changed every 30,000 miles?

Dropping and inspecting the pan will likely answer the question of what should be done. It sounds like the clutch packs are shot. If so, you may be able to find a hungry local mechanic who could rebuild it for you. Dealers will only install a rebuilt with a 12-month warranty.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Pink pill with "watson" and "502" on it [ 2 Answers ]

What kind of pill is pink and has watson 502 on it?

Heater blows cold when "On", not at all on "Auto" [ 1 Answers ]

Our gas heater is 7 years old, and has worked fine in the two years we've rented here. This winter though, we can't get it to work consistently. When on "Auto", it doesn't turn on at all, no matter what temperature we select, and when we turn the fan to "On", it simply blows cold air. It...

Difference between "htm" and "html" [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, In all the websites I make, they all come out when loaded onto the server as a "htm" file. But I see others who have "html" files on their sites, what exactly is the difference, if any? For example: what is the difference between index.htm and index.html and will the nameservers...

View more questions Search