Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lovetodance Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2009, 08:01 AM
    Personal Fundraising
    My daughter has been dancing for 5 years now and as we all know it can be costly. She is on the competition team and there are extra expenses that we do through fundraising. The team has done well fundraising but there has been some fall out between parents. We know how parents can be at any kind of function. We have discussed going to a different dance stuido but my daughter has made a lot of friends and does not want to leave them. If I fundraise on my own would it be safe (from IRS) to have a "fundraising account" in her name for dance purposes only?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 7, 2009, 10:08 AM

As long as you don't represent this fund raising as being charitable in nature (that is, people who give you money don't try to deduct it as a charitable gift on their tax return), then this is really just people giving you personal gifts. No problem as long as no one person gives you a gift in excess of the annual gift exclusion, which for 2009 is $13,000.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Personal fundraising accounts [ 5 Answers ]

We are a family that falls below the federal poverty guidelines. As a result, our children are often unable to participate in certain activities that their peers can afford to be involved in. The activities I am referring to are church related such as camp and mission trips. My family and I...

Personal Fundraising? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. I was wondering if it would be possible to fundraise for one's own family. I'm trying to help my son financially. He needs to go to the next step in his career which is in the music industry. He's very talented and I'm so proud of him. He went out to LA from NY last year and, like all...

Legalities for fundraising [ 1 Answers ]

I am planning of starting and managing a fundraiser in my town for breast cancer. Are there any legal issues or laws I need to abide by in order to raise funds?

Nonprofit fundraising [ 1 Answers ]

How does my parents association become non-profit in order to fundraise legally

View more questions Search