Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ykaramurat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2006, 11:56 AM
    I have no ip address help
    Hey

I haven't got an ip address. I know what your thinking, but I actually haven't got one set.

I know what it should be, but I don't know where to set it.

Can anyone help me as I need to set my ip address to connect to the net

At the moment I am on a really slow laptop.

Please help
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Dec 10, 2006, 07:39 AM
    Well, you were a little vague, but... I'll assume you are using Windows XP. So START BUTTON, CONTROL PANEL,NETWORK CONNECTIONS, Highlight the connection in this window that you wish to use. RIGHT-CLICK and select PROPERTIES. Then in the THIS CONNECTION USES THE FOLLOWING ITEMS: window, select INTERNET PROTOCOL (TCP?IP) and click the properties button just below. Then highlight the USE THE FOLLOWING IP ADDRESS: cirlce and type in you address. Then hit OK and wait for about 30 seconds and you should be set .

Good Luck
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2006, 09:53 AM
    The IP address you receive is given to you by your Internet Service Provider (ISP) regardless of whether you are on dial-up or broadband (high-speed). Once you make the connection to your ISP that is when you get assigned an IP.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 10, 2006, 10:17 AM
    Your IP is set by the ISP you use to connect. If you are using dial up then its assigned to your PC when you connect. I(f you are using broadband its assigned to your broadband modem when powered up.

The only reason you might need to set an IP is if you need to have a PC on a LAN use a specific IP. So you need to explain what you really need to do.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 10, 2006, 11:03 AM
    If you have a internet service, regardless if it is a slow as snails dial up, or super vast DSL or Cable, you have a ISP, it is your number that is assigned to you by your provider

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Setting up Tomcat 5.0 [ 5 Answers ]

I am having real trouble setting up Tomcat 5.0 on Windows XP. I have downloaded the Windows setup and followed the instructions to the letter. When I try and start the server with c:\Tomcat 5.0\bin\startup I get the following message: Windows cannot find '-Djava.endorsed.dirs='. Make sure...

Global address list groups members missing in Outlook address book [ 0 Answers ]

Hello All, When I view a group in global address list in Outlook , address book group Does not display the members. My company use exchange 2000 server, and client use outlook XP or 2003. Does anybody experience the same thing and/or know why this is so? Thanks a lot for your help and...

Setting up equation? [ 2 Answers ]

I can not get how to form a formula or equation for this question. I don't want the answer I just need help getting it started. Thanks Jim can mow Mr.Smith's lawn in 6 hours, Bob can mow Mr.Smith's lawn in 4 hours. How long would it take them to mow the yard if they worked together?

Excel: change relative address to absolute address [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, In Excel spreadsheet, how to change relative address to absolute address for many cells at same time? I know how to use F4 to do the change, but it is not an option when I have to deal with the addresses in a 150 row x 50 column table. Thanks, Wei

View more questions Search