Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2009, 10:27 AM
    Online colleges- find out if it's real.
    There's been a few people on here asking about online schools.

One thing is for sure, don't trust the website.

Online schools sometimes have their own accrediting agencies, and sometimes they are accredited by an agency they own.

Here are some things to consider:

1- To get an education it takes effort and time. Most often there will be online schools that offer a degree in just weeks or days. Unless you go to an actual techincal school [i.e. Everest] you will not get a degree in such a short time.

2- Is there a visible address? Every legitimate accredited school has an address! If the school only has a P.O. Box or e-mai be weary, this could be just a con to get your money!

3- Who are the teachers? Where are the faculty? Who is the administrator? If the website does not show you this once again be weary!

4- Fees: A fee for a diploma is a red flag. Real colleges charge tuition by semester or per class

5- You can check for accreditation on these sites:
    Diploma Mills and Accreditation
    Better Business Bureau
    CHEA Database of Institutions and Programs

The absolute best thing to do is go to your local college and ASK about their online classes.

Sarah
    quinton87 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2010, 03:42 AM

Have you see the universities being built in Second Life? Online schools are real and there doesn't need to be a physical address if the university is giving you coordinates for its island in Second Life and you can see the students and faculty roaming around the virtual campus.
    Fees, I agree, is a red flag, and everyone should be concerned about the lecturer profiles...
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2010, 09:29 AM
    I wonder how an employer would view a degree from Second Life University.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Looking for real online jobs .getting payment at home! [ 19 Answers ]

I'm looking for part-time online jobs... which are real... n pays you well.. anybody with any info about this ans me... or send me the links...

Meeting a girl I've been talking to online in real life for the first time... [ 66 Answers ]

I've been talking to this girl from Match.com for a few weeks now on AIM and on the phone, and tomorrow night we're meeting for the first time in real life. I'm keeping it to a short and casual dinner after we both get off work. Any advice? I've never done this before and I'm kind of...

Online friend for real? [ 7 Answers ]

I met this girl around 8 months ago over an online game. We've progressively played and talked more and more as we got to know each other. Lately its been just chatting on msn or even just talking on this game rather then actually playing it. We've each shared pictures of ourselves, and find each...

Real, Accredited, Online Universities [ 4 Answers ]

I'm looking to transfer to an online college--the on-campus scene just isn't cutting it for me anymore. When I didn't have a baby, things were different, but my needs have changed, and I am looking for an actual on-line or one day a week university that is not only accredited, but that future...

View more questions Search