Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AmyShallFind Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2009, 08:28 PM
    Grantee signature missing from deed.
    Hi, I know this is an old thread but the answers provided on here explained the difference between Quit Claim and Warranty Deed. I was going over paperwork for a property that I had purchased from HUD a few years back and noticed that the Warranty Deed does not have my signature as the Grantee. Doesn't the Warranty Deed need signatures from the Grantee(s) like the Quit Claim does? Or am I overlooking something here?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jul 2, 2009, 08:53 PM
    The only time any deed should require the grantee's signature is if the deed contains special conditions for the grantee. For example, when buying a condo the deed requires the grantee's signature because the grantee is agreeing to become a member of the condo association and be bound by their rules.

A warranty deed in general should not require the grantee's signature.
    AmyShallFind Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2009, 10:10 PM
    Thank you Lisa, that does make sense! But I still wonder on how they can verify who the correct person is when there are 2 people in the same family with the same name. For example, in my case, the Co-Owner is a "John J. Doe Jr" but the Warranty Deed does not have the suffix Jr on it, just John J. Doe. To me, it would appear that the father is on the Deed. Wouldn't this be a problem?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 3, 2009, 05:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dgreen View Post
    ... Will they only defend the years they researched? Am I making a mountain out of a molehill?
    Yes, you are. The title company will defend the title, period.

Someone said that QCs are more common. I doubt that. Quit Claim deeds are for situations where you didn't expect to have any interest in the property but someone asks you to sign off on whatever remote interest you may have, just to be safe. In your situation it isn't like that. You are actually selling the property. Therefore you should warrant your deed. In the remote chance that some issue comes up, the title policy will protect you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 3, 2009, 07:03 AM

First its not a good idea to piggyback your question on someone else's. This can lead to confusion. You should start a new thread. So I've moved your question to its own thread.

This is why one should have a professional prepare a deed. A professional would check the legal name of the grantee and make sure its entered correctly.

But, yes, the Title insurer will have a record and will defend the title. You might check with them about correcting the deed to make sure there is no mistake.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is a grantor vs a grantee [ 20 Answers ]

What is a grantor vs a grantee

Forged signature on a quit claim deed how do I combat this [ 4 Answers ]

Forged signature on a quit claim deed

Grantor = Grantee on Quitclaim Deed? Name Change Only [ 3 Answers ]

When my divorce was finalized in 2006, my lawyer used a quitclaim deed to transfer a condo-property that was owned jointly between my husband and I into my name solely. It was a fairly simple process, and the deed was indeed changed into my name with no issue. However, since then, I have resumed...

Grantee vs Grantor [ 1 Answers ]

Why would someone-in this case a husband/grantor have a warranty deed drawn to grantee and in this case being himself again and his wife together. Also the city records show the purchase price way under the property value. This warranty deed says 25k and 4 years earlier sale was 79k?

View more questions Search