Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ptaran1 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2015, 07:54 AM
    Prep for Colonoscopy
    My husband is getting a colonoscopy next month. His doctor gave him instructions to prepare and I wanted to know if this common. 5 days before the procedure he starts taking Milk of Magnesia morning and night. He takes this on day 5, 4 and 3. On day 3 he adds taking Dulcolax or Mirolax with a sports drink. Day 2 he just takes the Dulcolax and only has clear liquids. Can't he just do a purge the day before? Seems likes this will be very uncomfortable for all 5 days.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 23, 2015, 07:59 AM
    That sounds like overkill. When I had mine, I took GoLightly the day before. And believe me, you don't Go Lightly!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2015, 08:33 AM
    Good lord... 5 days?? Yes that is excessive... I've been through this three times already, there are different preps available... here we have ( at least the two options I was offered) the fruit infused dirty dishwater flavor that you have to choke down a gallon of without puking, or the Ducolax pills with the two or three bottles of manganese citrate, which is powerefully nasty tasting stuff but far less to gag down.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 23, 2015, 12:31 PM
    Was this the doctor from hell ! I agree with all. Normally the clean out is done the day before. I took the same thing as smoothly.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 23, 2015, 01:53 PM
    I've also had several done. I'm should be due for my 6th in a year or so. I've never been required to go through that much prep. So he should call his doctor and ask why. There may be a good reason for it.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2015, 02:24 PM
    Just had one-my last thank you- took stuff for 2 days and a final Dulcolax. 5 sounds a bit long. However, just doing a "purge" won't work.

Smoothy-I hope it was magnesium citrate!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2015, 02:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    Just had one-my last thank you- took stuff for 2 days and a final Dulcolax. 5 sounds a bit long. However, just doing a "purge" won't work.

Smoothy-I hope it was magnesium citrate!
    It probably was.. couldn't remember which it was...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Colonoscopy prep [ 2 Answers ]

I have had colonscopy's in the past but don't recall time schedule for liquids. If I remember right you begin taking MovPro to cleanse aprox 12 hours prior to procedure? Is that about the right time, 12 hours before? Then liquids (clear) after both doses of MoviPrep and nothing 4 hours prior...

I have just had a colonoscopy, is it possible to get my period after it? [ 3 Answers ]

On Wednesday 18 December, I went for a colonoscopy. Is it possible to get my period afterwards, maybe from the anesthetic? I should not be having it now, but only in about two and a half weeks.

Colonoscopy Prep meals [ 1 Answers ]

I was advised not to eat any fruits or vegetables with seeds or nuts of any kind four days prior to the procedure. Just checking to make sure.. I assume that a baked potato threes days before would be okay, since it has not seeds??

Masturbate after colonoscopy [ 0 Answers ]

Is it OK for a male to masturbate after getting a colonoscopy?

Colonoscopy [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I would like to know if you can recommend a good Gastroenterologist that will agree to perform a colonoscopy under mild or no sedation. I live in Tampa, FL and the two doctors I have seen will not agree to my request. They said either I get propofol or demerol / versed. I don't want...

View more questions Search