Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mjschuck Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2006, 12:25 PM
    Kenmore Dryer - heats & runs but stops mid-cycle
    I have been trying to figure out what exactly is up with our Kenmore dryer. We bought it new in 1997 and it has run like a champ till now. It still heats up and the drum still tumbles. In the regular drying cycle - you set the timer for 60 minutes and about 15 minutes into the cycle, the dryer shuts off - I haven't experimented with setting it for less time, I just don't have time to fiddle with it with 7 people in the house needing clean clothes. The timer will then continue to count down to zero, but the dryer isn't running and clothes stay wet. In the permanent press cycle it works perfectly, does not shut off - continues to heat and run for the length of the cycle - so I've just been using that, not as efficient for the various load types, but they get dry.

Any thoughts? I'm thinking something to do with the timer.. .

Thanks!
    johnny1987 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2007, 05:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mjschuck
    I have been trying to figure out what exactly is up with our Kenmore dryer. We bought it new in 1997 and it has run like a champ till now. It still heats up and the drum still tumbles. In the regular drying cycle - you set the timer for 60 minutes and about 15 minutes into the cycle, the dryer shuts off - I haven't experimented with setting it for less time, I just don't have time to fiddle with it with 7 people in the house needing clean clothes. The timer will then continue to count down to zero, but the dryer isn't running and clothes stay wet. In the permanent press cycle it works perfectly, does not shut off - continues to heat and run for the length of the cycle - so I've just been using that, not as efficient for the various load types, but they get dry.

Any thoughts? I'm thinking something to do with the timer . . .

Thanks!
    Hmm is it a gas dryer or electric dryer if its elecrtic I have a dryer that does the same thing and I believe its either the thermol fuse or the heating elemnt in the case of it shutting down if because the dryer gets to hot
    RalphS Posts: 120, Reputation: 12

Apr 6, 2007, 08:14 PM
    Kind of an unusual problem, only because you say it works fine on the PermaPress cycle. All indications when a dryer shuts down completely in during the middle of a cylce is that the motor is overheating and the overload protector opens the ciruit to the windings. Usually when this is the case, if you turn the dryer off and wait about an hour to cool the motor down, it will start again and again run for a period until the same thing happens again.
    I suspect that with a ten year old dryer operating for 7 people that the motor is loaded with lint and improper airflow over the motor is the culprit.
    It is most likely NOT a timer problem. It definitely is NOT a thermo fuse as a thermo fuse does not reset itself, it has to be replaced. It is also NOT a heating element if it's an electric dryer and the problem has nothing to do with either gas or electric, the problem described above will happen to both.
    FireStud80 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2009, 08:55 PM
    I too am having the same stopping issue with my Kenmore Electric Dryer

I have a Kenmore 90 Series. A few weeks ago our electric dryer stopped heating completely. My first step was to replace the two (2) thermostats on the heater coil housing. I also replaced the thermal fuse on the duct housing.

Still no heat, but it ran like a top. I replace the actual heater coil and now I have heat to spare. Unfortunately it shuts off after a few minutes, I'll estimate about 5. After waiting about 30 minutes, it would run for another 5.

I also noticed that when I set the timer dial then hold the start button it seems to hesitate to start. This made me think there was an issue with the drum spinning. I spun it by hand and it was free. Next I too thought was that it was getting too hot.

I was very careful while installing the heating coil, I didn't want to spend another $60 on a new one. I'm questioning if I may have damaged the one or both of the thermostat while installing the coil. Maybe I scrapped it or something.

I'm stuck and desperate. Any ideas?

Thanks
    [email protected]
    lpgs1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2010, 09:20 AM
    Get a new dryer, no matter how old! My dryer was doing the same thing, stopping mid cycle, we went to turn it back on last night and it ignited inside. Called 911, got the kids out, fire contained inside the dryer, but damage around. We just had minutes before the flames got to the walls! Now I'm trying to figure out the best way to approach Kenmore/Sears for such a faulty product that could have cost our lives and home! It's a Kenmore from Dec 2001. 9 years old should not start on fire!
    EPMiller Posts: 624, Reputation: 37

Jun 16, 2010, 04:12 PM

To several of the posters above I would tell you to clean the ducts and outdoor "flapper". I've seen thermal cutout symptoms too, and they are usually caused by low air flow/clogged duct. Also, does the dryer get enough supply air? I have seen dryers installed in closets with solid doors. There wasn't enough air intake to keep the lint moving out the duct. At least 2 square feet of CLEAR AREA, four square feet of louver will get you on your way if it is an air supply problem.

If you have lint buildup that causes a fire, you are going to be hard pressed to blame it on the manufacturer. Lint buildup is usually the problem of the 1) operator or 2) the installation or 3) incorrect maintenance (see #1). Not something the manufacturer can control. Replace your lint filter every couple of years if it isn't sealing correctly. Don't overdry the clothing. Clean your ducts yearly. We have many residential dryers doing 5 or more loads a day and have never had a fire. Of course we clean ducts yearly and keep the machines serviced correctly.

I am not a fan of Kenmore, but it is because the units we had were harder to service than some other brands and a bit pricey, not because they are badly engineered.
    lpgs1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2010, 04:25 AM

Lint was not the cause, have statement from Fire Department.
    We actually use a leaf blower for the lint cleaning.
    Angrycustomer Posts: 79, Reputation: -1

Jun 21, 2010, 04:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lpgs1 View Post
    Get a new dryer, no matter how old! My dryer was doing the same thing, stopping mid cycle, we went to turn it back on last night and it ignited inside. Called 911, got the kids out, fire contained inside the dryer, but damage around. We just had minutes before the flames got to the walls! Now I'm trying to figure out the best way to approach Kenmore/Sears for such a faulty product that could of cost our lives and home! It's a Kenmore from Dec 2001. 9 years old should not start on fire!
    =
    winer. I wonder how your vent system is installed? I wonder about the periodic maintenance that was negated. I wonder about the back pressure and the style of connections used and the conditions of the wiring in the house. What size breakers? IDK. Were you informed the website to look your model up for bulletins and possible recalls? Did you have a service performed? Extended warranty? Is a lawsuit going to set your family up with a Disney Vacation? I hope the hell not... :cool:
    ferkyer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2012, 04:19 PM
    My dryer is also stopping mid cycle…
    The motor does run but sounds stressed and it shuts off after 10-15 minutes.
    Also, the cloth bushings around the drum look really worn which I assume adds to the motor strain.
    My plan is to replace the motor and cloth drum bushing and will reply to the thread with my results.
    ferkyer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2012, 10:08 AM
    I ended up buying a used dryer as it was cheaper than buying the parts…
    That said, if you remove the belt from the drum and the drum spins easily then the issue is the motor but if the drum doesn't spin easily the issue is probably the rollers however roller issues often result in a broken belt.
    12gage Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2013, 07:27 AM
    Shut your pie hole you self righteous idiot. All the things you named here are insignificant. There are safety devices all through a dryer to make sure it does not catch on fire even under the worst circumstances. A well designed product will just stop working before it ignites. Servicing the unit is a good idea for peak performance, but a requirement to prevent a house fire! The last thing this guy needs is some blow hard clown giving him a hard time.
    bjWit Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2015, 12:53 AM
    You can use the leaf blower outside, in your yard. NOT to blow lint around in your laundry room, on your dryer. Don't you KNOW HOW to REMOVE THE LINT! It's called a vacuum cleaner! It's used to suck up dirt and 'dust'-lint, on your carpet and works well to suck up lint in and around a clothes dryer. I HOPE YOU LEARNED YOUR LESSON or, in a few years, 'blowing' lint around in your laundry room, you MAY have another fire.
    No disrespect, but use some common sense.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2015, 05:53 AM
    Please look at the post dates before responding to threads. The last post was July 1, 2013, on a thread that started Aug 30 2006 and has never been back since their original post, today's date is Dec 8, 2015.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore dryer: how long should heat cycle? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, This is my initial post to this forum and hope someone out there can help. I own a Kenmore dryer (87984800) that is about 12 years old. Recently, it has begun to take two cycles to dry a medium-large load of clothes. This is unusual for this dryer. The dryer is doing the following:...

Electric dryer heats up, won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore Heavy Duty dryer that heats up, but nothing happens when I press that start button. By heating up, I mean I turn the timer dial and I can open the door, look inside, and see the glowing red heating element and it is still heating with the door open. Pressing the start button,...

Whirlpool Dryer - itermittent "fluff dry" cycle stops [ 4 Answers ]

Our Whirlpool dryer has a cycle for intermittent dry or fluff cycle... it seems that it runs fine, then when it shuts down at the intermittent of fluff cycle it will not turn back on again, any thoughts? Kirk

Kenmore dryer runs but does not heat [ 3 Answers ]

My Kenmore dryer just stopped heating but it runs. The model number no is 110.62994101. I need help on how to fix it. If possible with diagram on How to change any part.

Kenmore Elite Dryer Won't Heat on Timed Cycle [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore Elite Dryer that is 4 years old. The dryer will not heat on the timed cycle, but it will heat on the Even Heat Cycle. The heating element will not com on when I have the timed cycle selected. On the Even Heat Cycle all of the temperature settings work. My dryer has a rotary...

View more questions Search