Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    julieb500 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2008, 09:59 AM
    Above ground pool in ground
    Can I put an above ground pool in a hole with about one foot of it sticking up?
    What do I do about water splashing out and washing away the back fill?
    What do I do about pluming and elec. Thanks
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 5, 2008, 10:45 AM
    Julie,

I cannot speak to the legality of putting the pool below ground, I can speak to an immediate design flaw.

The outside stabilization's and support structures are not sufficient to keep the pool's shape against Mother Earth. Ground shifts would eventually crush the sides of the pool or at the very least, tear the fabric of the pool liner.

Don't do it.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 6, 2008, 08:07 PM
    Sorry Don but I can't disagree more. I have done several of these and one was for my own home. It lasted 20 years and even then it was only taken down because the kids weren't kids any more. I scooped out a 40' diameter hole 3' deep with a bobcat and got a level flat bottom large enough for a 24 ' pool. I assembled the pool and installed the liner, filing the pool before back filling. Back filling is the key since you do not want rocks or large clumps of clay to cause bulges in the side walls. I rototilled most of the soil and backed filled with that dirt and lots of coarse sand. Water stays in a above ground pool year round and the surface freezes to about 12" in northern Illinois. If anything that freezing did was to square everything up each year. There was no grounf shifting and the liners lasted about 6 years.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 7, 2008, 09:32 AM
    Ballenger,

By its very definition, the pool is meant to be above ground. In-ground pools are designed for that purpose.

We might want to take this offline and I readily agree with you that I may be all wet with my response, however, I feel into this very wet hole in the ground where my above ground pool should have been! :)

I'm very interested if you did this to code or just went and did because your could?
    The Pool Guy Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Jan 7, 2008, 10:24 AM
    I have to agree with ballengerb1. I also have done this for customers a few times. I let them know this is not an ideal way to do an installation of an "above ground pool" and have them sign a waiver of responsibility for the install and especially if they ever have me do a liner replacement in the future.

As for washing away the backfill... you can put plastic drain pipe in your backfill, slopeing it away from the pool.

As for plumbing... upgrade to an in-ground pool super pump. They are self-priming

Hope this helps...
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 7, 2008, 11:27 AM
    Pool guy, since I did not have a self priming pump I was limited on how deep I could place the pool since I was gravity fed. I ended up about half and half in the ground. Worked well for 20 years with just the normal liner replacement about every 5-6 years. ASold the scrap to the Reynolds recycler for ggod money.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Above ground pool [ 5 Answers ]

I was wondering, can I keep an above ground pool up all winter with no water in it or will it collapse even though it has the braces all around it? Thank you.

Above ground pool [ 1 Answers ]

Do we need to use any special chemicals to keep our pool up all winter? Also do we need to continue to run the filter?

Install New Pool Liner-Above Ground Pool [ 1 Answers ]

We are going to install a new liner in an above ground pool this weekend. I have read conflicting information as to when the skimmer and jet holes should be cut. Do you fill the pool with water within a foot of the skimmer, attach the trim kit and then cut out the liner? I don't know what to do,...

Above Ground Pool [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 20' above ground pool - approximately 4 years old. About 2 weeks ago I noticed that on 1 section of the liner, wrinkles have started to appear and that the liner itself bumps out a little more toward the top of the pool than in other sections. The wrinkles may have been there before, but I...

Above ground pool [ 2 Answers ]

How do you electrically install an above ground pool

View more questions Search