Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jrs7788 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2013, 06:47 AM
    Bank account lien laws for back child support in Texas
    I live in Mississippi and just discovered that my bank account reflects a negative balance of $54.666.00. I suspect that this is a lien or levy due to back child support from the Attorny General's Office in Texas. Can they do that? They have been taking payments out of my payroll check.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2013, 07:00 AM
    If you are in arrears... yes they can.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 8, 2013, 07:32 AM
    No, I don't believe that they can do this without first obtaining a judgment against you. Did they serve a writ of garnishment on
    • your bank in Mississippi; and
    • your employer (also in Mississippi, I assume)?

Is there a child support judgment (or divorce decree awarding child support) in effect?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lien on bank account for child support [ 5 Answers ]

I just found out that there is a lien against my bank account for child support. How can this be? I am the primary account holder on this account. The person that owes childsuport is just on the account. Will the lien be raised from my account.

Lien on bank account for child support [ 2 Answers ]

My friend has his own business and recently his business got slow and has been making only half or a little more then half of his child support payment. He just got a letter saying they put a lien on his bank account but there is not enough money in the account to pay his back payment. What does he...

Bank account lien for child support arrears [ 5 Answers ]

A bank lien was placed on my bank account for child support arrears. Last year, I met with the father and the mediator and we agreed for 75 dollars a month payments. I told the mediator that as of Dec 5, 2009 that a new company was taking over my present company and gave the mediator the...

Lien placed on bank account for back child support payments [ 2 Answers ]

How do I go about removing a lien placed on a bank account for back child support?

Child Support Lien on bank account [ 22 Answers ]

We discovered this evening that our bank accounts were frozen by child support. We have had no notification of this from anyone. My husband has 3 children from his previous marriage About 2.5 years ago my husband lost his job due to serious illness when he got a new job the salary was...

View more questions Search