Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    keifay Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2008, 06:37 AM
    A/C dead after having new electrical box installed
    This week I had an electrician come and upgrade my electrical box from 100amp to 200amp. After he was finished we believed everything was fine. About 1/2 hour later my wife said the A/C wasn't working. Electrician came back and thought the transformer was bad. He went to Grainger and replaced it for us. No Luck! I called a local A/C repair shop and they came out. They believe it's the circuit board and gave me an estimate of approx. $420.00 ($57. Svc. Call, $240. For the circuit board, $75. To pick up the part, and about $50. Labor). Please don't laugh, I don't have any experience with these things. The A/C repairman also said that we wouldn't know if there were other problems until the board was replaced. My unit is about 8 yrs. Old.

As I began looking for info. Online I read about others with circuit board problems. Some said they were able to bypass the board to see if the unit was running. The A/C tech didn't do anything like that. Like I said, everything is completely dead right now. Outside A/C unit, air handler (which is where the circuit board is), and thermostat inside house.

I just want to be sure I don't get taken for a ride. Does this sound like they are being fair and honest with me or should I get another opinion? I've had this A/C company work on my business A/C and they did a good job at a fair price. Any help would be appreciated.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2008, 08:00 AM
    Now, come on. "Thought" he transformer was bad. It either is or isn't. The test is so easy. This does not fall into a grey area.

Define "AC isn't working" Inside unit, outside unit, both?

It does make sense to do the following, Turn off both breakers (inside and outside) for about 5 minutes and turn them back on again.

If it fixes, then your done. Remember it takes about 5 minues for the AC to turn on after a power fail.

If your thermostat is electronic and the above didn't work: Then remove the batteries and do the steps again.

Check the installer settings in the thermostat. Nt likely that they changed. Sometimes there is a test mode.

Surges/loose connectiion at the panel can easily blow PC boards, so yes it's "possible" that the upgrade caused the problem. With the furnace boards being so expensive, you should consider a wired in surge supressor at the furnace.
    keifay Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2008, 08:16 AM
    I wasn't concerned about the transformer issue since the electrician replaced it at his expense. When the A/C guy came he was the one who concluded that the circuit board was bad. We've done all the other things: turned off and on breakers, checked thermostat. Unfortunately I live in Florida and it's 90 degrees inside and out. My wife and daughter are getting a little short on patience. I may have to go ahead with the A/C repair and hope for the best. Thanks for your response. I just wish I had better knowledge on the subject.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What will you do when the dead don't stay. Dead [ 6 Answers ]

I know I know, a lot of people are asking"is this kid serious" well, I am haha... What would you do to survive a Zack outbreak... I will Post my answer later on ounce I've thought about it... PLEASE BE PRACTICAL with your answers. Don't say you would get a tank because most likely there...

Electrical panels installed in buildings [ 11 Answers ]

Can an electrical panel be installed in a laundry room, bathroom, or clothes closet where the space will permit access? Is a panel behind a dryer OK since the dryer can be moved easily?

Need definitions for dead against /dead mens shoes/ dead marines [ 2 Answers ]

I need help with the definitions of dead against /dead mens shoes/ dead marines for socioloy class . Please help

BHO being installed on Internet [ 5 Answers ]

Hi. I'm not sure if this question has been asked. Every time I close the internet spyware pops up and says a BHO (browser helper object) is being intsalled on internet. Do you want to intall? I say block installation and then it asks me if I want to sweep. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. ...

Have the vent installed already [ 1 Answers ]

Thanks for your respones speedball. A few years back we had some work done to the upstairs bathroom and had the vent exstended down to the basement. It's a 3inch pvc pipe that is sticking down from the upstairs floor and about 15 to 20 feet from where we are going to add the toilet and shower. The...

View more questions Search