Ask
    sarah jenko Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2007, 04:31 PM
    Dying bees
    Why are bees dying?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2007, 04:54 PM
    I assume you are talking about colony collapse disorder. Nobody really knows why it happens, and nobody really knows if it is happening more in the current climate. Many of the claimed instances of colony collapse disorder may not in fact be such.

There are many hypotheses of what causes this, the most likely being pesticides or pathogens.
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Jul 21, 2007, 07:22 PM
    Haven't read much about it myself, though I know it had been speculated relatively recently that cell phones emissions (radiation) could be one possible link, interfering with the bees homing abilities, disorienting them -- fewer bees successfully finding their way back to their hives.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2007, 01:07 AM
    Yes, thomas, the media has kindly blown that hypothesis out of all proportion. It's entirely speculative and no research has been done to prove the link.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2007, 01:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas1970
    ... it had been speculated relatively recently that cell phones emissions (radiation) could be one possible link, interfering with the bees homing abilities, disorienting them -- fewer bees successfully finding their way back to their hives.
    I remember reading about how bees navigate, and my memory is that it's by the angle of the sun relative to the hive and the flowers. So I don't see how emfs from cell phones would affect that. It would have to prevent bees from doing their dance properly, which is how they tell the other bees where the nectar flowers are. Seems unlikely.

A 2004 National Geographic article says the decline of honey bees is due to parasites that carry diseases and also pesticides sprayed on crops. I'm pretty sure NG is very well fact checked, so I would believe this.

The article says:
    The honeybee decline, which is affecting domesticated and wild bee populations around the world, is mostly the result of diseases spread as a result of mites and other parasites as well as the spraying of crops with pesticides, scientists say.
    <http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/10/1005_041005_honeybees.html>

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dying roots? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi I am asking this for a friend but she dyed her brown hair blonde but the roots are starting to show. How should she redo her roots? Should she just put hair dye on the top? Or can she just put hairdye on her whold head ? She is afraid that if she just does the roots she will miss some and get...

Carpenter Bees [ 2 Answers ]

What canyou get to get rid of carpenter bees?

I think I'm dying... [ 2 Answers ]

Please help... My boyfriend and I broke up and I was hoping someone could give me an idea or two for an amazing romantic gesture... that doesn't cost anything... and that would REALLY fix and help things... I don't want to lose him because he is truly the only guy that really cares... we've been...

Why! Are all the bees dying [ 2 Answers ]

Hello! Im Thomas ,Iam very concerned about the exstinktion of many species ,Are the paulanaiting bees next? How will we grow fruit maybe we can invent a spay paulin ,:confused:

Deck attracting wood bees [ 2 Answers ]

How do I keep wood bees away from my deck? You know the kind I'm talking about... the huge ones that resemble bumble bees. I'm deathly afraid of bees as I am allergic to bee stings. I don't want to wait until dark before I can enjoy my deck!

View more questions Search