Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    haymorefamily Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2005, 02:47 PM
    Toilet in basement -already has rough in
    Hi we are installing a toilet in the basement of our new home. There is already a 4 inch stub that was left by the contractors. I have a couple of questions.
    1.What kind of flange do we need for it to be flush with the concrete? Should we just buy a 3" flange and glue it into the four inch drain?
    2.Do we cut the stub flush with the concrete?
    3. can you recommend a better (easier) way?
    Thanks! -Dexter
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 9, 2005, 03:26 PM
    Hi Dexter,

You didn't say but I'm assuming that your pipes are PVC.

1.What kind of flange do we need for it to be flush with the concrete? Should we just buy a 3" flange and glue it into the four inch drain?

You will purchase a 4" closet flange, a can of PVC glue and a can of primer.
    Prime both the pipe and the stub up and glue the flange tight to the floor.

2.Do we cut the stub flush with the concrete?

You will first glue the flange and then cut the stub out tight to the flange.

3. can you recommend a better (easier) way?

I wish I could.

Good luck, Tom
    haymorefamily Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2005, 04:20 PM
    Some extra information
    Thanks for your quick reply. I have realized my problem as I was standing in the basement trying to figure out why your instructions wouldn't work. The problem is that the concrete has been poured all the way up to the stub, so there is no space for the flange to lay around. Should I drill the concrete out around the base of the stub?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 10, 2005, 06:20 AM
    Good morning Dexter,

One of the last things we do before a slab is poured is to put a styrofoam closet wrapper around the toilet stubups so they won't get cemented in.
    Some times they get pushed under the pour a bit so you will have to take a hammer and see if you have a wrapper under the pour. These wrappers give you about a 3/4" of space all around the stub up for the flange to recess into.
    If the plumber didn't leave you a closetwrapper then shame on him for doing a shoddy job and you'll have to take a hammer and chisel and make your own recess for the flange to set next to the floor. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement rough in [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to rough in plumbing in my basement for a full bath (toilet, sink, and shower). I live just outside of Chicago so I suspect the plumbing codes are the same as Chicago. Currently in my basement I have two sump pumps and pits, one pump takes care of the drainage around the foundation...

Basement rough in? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I just bought a house with a 3 piece rough-in in the basement. I am building a bathroom and as I prepare to do the framing work, I am wondering how much room do I leave from the rough-in toilet drain to the drywall? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike

Basement rough [ 11 Answers ]

Hi there I have a question about 2 4" pipes coming out of basement slab... one is raised and on is flush... both ate capped and connect directly to street... I'm prettty sure raised one is clanot but not sure about other... both emmit strong gas when caps removed?

Basement rough in [ 3 Answers ]

Hi experts! I'm planning to add a bathroom in my basement but I'm confused about the existing rough in. I've attached two pictures that show the rough in from two different angles. There is one 3" PVC pipe that is about 17" from the wall so it can be used for the toilet. I'm confused about the...

Basement rough in [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I built my house about 3 years ago and I'd like to finish the basement. The bathroom was setup for a shower, sink and toilet. My question is how to install everything. I have 2 pipes coming up from the floor both 3.5"dia capped. I also have a square patch in the floor for the shower drain I...

View more questions Search