Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2011, 09:28 AM
    The right wing. The Constitution. Small government. LIAR, LIAR pants on fire.
    Hello:

You know how the wingers SAY they want small government, all the while supporting our record as the worlds largest jailer... Yup, we even have more convicts than those miserable, civil rights hating tyrants, the Chinese, whose population is FIVE times greater than ours.. But, I digress...

The small government wingers also think the HUGE growth in domestic spying by our government is just hunky dory too. I'm sure they'll think I'm nuts for suggesting that the Fourth Amendment to the Constitution means what it says... But, when you let the government think it can read your email and listen to your phone calls without a warrant, it shouldn't be surprising that they don't stop there. You didn't think it would, did you?? You DID?? And, you call yourself a winger?? But, I digress once again...

The ACLU revealed that in the 18-month period beginning October 1, 2008, more than 6,600 people - roughly half of whom are American citizens - were subjected to electronic device searches at the border by Homeland Security, all without a search warrant. Many have had their laptops and cell phones confiscated and NEVER returned. The rest have had the contents of their memory copied and stored for who knows what?

Is this cool with you?? You're happy with that level of government intrusion into your life by people who promote SMALL GOVERNMENT??

Yeah, yeah, yeah... I know.. You'll say they'll NEVER search me. I'm a staunch American. They're only searching bad guys. And, if they do copy the memory from my laptop, I don't care. I've got nothing to hide...

Liar, liar, pants on fire.

excon
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2011, 11:09 AM

Is it a violation of the Constitution to have your belongings inspected at the border ? Millions of travellers come into the country annually from outside the country(many of them US citizens)... have their personal belongings inspected prior to entry .Yet only a small handful had their computers searched of the millions who carried them in their travels .
    This is a policy 1st introduced in July 2008 .Napolitano revised it in 2009 leaving the essential policy in place.
    DHS: Secretary Napolitano Announces New Directives on Border Searches of Electronic Media

Unless you think that all border inspections are unconstitutional then I don't see your point of this rant.

Even the ACLU doesn't object .They just think
    That "border agents should have some suspicion that the search will turn up evidence of wrongdoing."
    Blog of Rights: Official Blog of the American Civil Liberties Union ACLU Challenges Laptop Searches and Seizures at the Border

Did the agent have reason to suspect ? Here is the plaintiff the ACLU represents
    Pascal Abidor, a 26-year old U.S. and French dual citizen and doctoral student whose laptop and external hard drive were searched last May after Abidor crossed back into the United States on a train from Canada.

A CBP official named "Officer Tulip" had her interest piquéd in Abidor when he told the agent that he is a student of Islamic studies at McGill University in Montreal, and that he had traveled to Jordan and Lebanon on his French passport, the lawsuit states. Tulip became more suspicious when Abidor voluntarily turned on his laptop to reveal stored images that included pictures of Hamas and Hezbollah rallies.Abidor was ordered off the train and kept in detention for three hours, but his laptop and external hard drive were denied to him for 11 days and came back showing obvious signs of searching.
    ACLU files suit against suspicionless laptop searches at U.S. borders - FierceGovernmentIT

As the site linked points out... even the most liberal court in the nation ,the 9th Circus Court of Appeals has upheld this policy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trusting a liar [ 4 Answers ]

My son asked me, "How can you trust someone you love when you find out they have been lieing to you". This person is his ex girlfriend who moved out 1 week ago and he found out through a text that she has been cheating on him. She is the mother of his 8 month old child.

Can you trust a liar? [ 8 Answers ]

Was just wondering if and how you can trust someone who has lied about a lot since you began dating them, I mean if you love someone and want to be with them but you have a hard time trusting them because you know they have lied before Any help welcome Thanks a lot

Is he a liar [ 2 Answers ]

My Name Is Monica And Me And I Love This Boy Named Marquist And My Friend Told Me He Tried To Talk To Her He Says He Didi'nt And He Says He Relly Care About Me I Want to Know If Its True Or Not

I'm a liar [ 4 Answers ]

I have a major problem lying. Not just to my friends and co-workers, but to my family and to my husband. I chose to have emotional relationships with men at my work against my husbands wishes, and did so for months. He had already confronted me once about a phone call he saw, but I continued...

View more questions Search