Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bagpiperay Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2004, 11:46 AM
    Be-Ro celebration cake
    Hi everyone

My wife used to bake a celebration cake from Home Recipes with Be-Ro flour cookbook. It is a paperback third A4 folded size booklet. When we got a new one (38th edition), as the old was was getting rather tatty, we threw the old one away. Ah but the celebration cake was omitted and only a Christmas cake recipe was found whereas in the earlier version both Xmas cake and celebration cake recipes were found.

Can anyone help please? The celebration cake included brown sugar and treacle.

Thanks

Ray
    VIOLETTE Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2005, 05:54 PM
    undefined :)
    Hi, I read that your looking for celebration cake. Well I have had a little bero booklet for 20 years. It was given by a girl who was emigrating. I have used that book so many times its covered in dried flour and has lost a page but I keep it in my kitchen drawer and have made my family smile for many years with the things I have baked by using my trusty baking assistant.
    There is a note on one page that says CELEBRATION CAKE. Use the christmas cake or rich dundee cake recipe. I use the rich dundee because it has the brown sugar and black treacle.
    If if I can help you then please let me know. :D
    Bobby22 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2005, 05:07 AM
    Be-Ro celebration cake
    I too would be interested in the original christmas cake recipe - as we also through out our much used and tatty bero book. Anybody willing to email it? As usual we never get around to things until the last minute - usually the icing goes on the cake on christmas eve!

My email address is
    [email protected]
    TIA

Bobby
    Bobby22 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2005, 05:12 AM
    Be-Ro celebration cake
    Hi again:

Just found one on an internet search - follow this link:

http://www.be-ro.com/recipe/showrec.asp?rec=96

Bobby
    izzyhill Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2013, 04:44 PM
    This is an old question but I too want the Celebration cake recipe and can't find my book anymore. I did find this which I think may be the same as I do recall it being in quantities for different tiers:
    http://www.be-ro.co.uk/f_basics.htm > then Celebration Fruit Cakes
    and in case the link is broken:

Celebration Fruit Cakes

Tin sizes:

A square tin holds more mixture than a round tin. For each tier, the smaller tin size gives a deeper cake.

Recipe Quantities

Recipe Quantity Baking time
    slow oven
    Top Tier
    15-18 cm (6-7 inch) tin Half quantity of recipe 3-4 hours
    Second Tier
    20-23 cm (8-9 inch) tin Exact quantity 4 hours
    Third Tier
    25-28 cm (10-11 inch) tin 1½ times the quantity 5-6 hours

Protecting your cake and baking times:

Protect a large cake by fastening a band of doubled brown paper round the tin 5-7.5 cm (2-3 inches) higher than the tin. Stand the tin on a thick layer of brown paper or a newspaper. Cover the cake with paper or foil after 2 hours, or if browning too quickly. Bake in a low oven 150ºC, 300ºF, Gas Mark 2. Always check your cake after 3 hours then every half an hour until cooked.

Brandy or Rum:

Add a small quantity to the cake when mixing and pour remainder over the cake whilst still warm. Alternatively, to soften the crust and sweeten any burnt fruit, boil together for half a minute 1 x 15 ml spoon (1 tbsp) water and 1 x 15 ml spoon (1 tbsp) sugar, remove from heat, add 1 x 15 ml spoon (1 tbsp) spirit. Brush over whole of cake. If the cake is over-baked, double or treble these quantities of syrup.

Storing and Decorating:

Wrap in greaseproof paper then foil and place upside down in an airtight container. Keep for 4 weeks before using.

Rich Almond Paste: Use underneath Royal and Fondant Icing to give a smooth surface and prevent the cake discolouring the icing. Apply 1 week before decorating with Royal Icing if time permits.

Royal Icing: The traditional finish for celebration cakes. For a softer icing and easier cutting, add 1 x 5 ml spoon (1 tsp) glycerine per 450 g (1 lb) icing sugar.

Quantities of Almond Paste and Royal Icing: Use this guide and the basic recipes for Almond Paste/Royal Icing to determine the correct quantities for your cake.

Quantities of Almond Paste/Royal Icing

Cake Size Recipe Quantity

15-18 cm (6-7 inch) tin Half quantity of recipe
    20-23 cm (8-9 inch) tin Exact quantity
    25-28 cm (10-11 inch) tin 1½ times the quantity

Applying Rich Almond Paste:

1 Level top of cake if necessary, by trimming with a knife, or adding pieces of Almond Paste.
    2 Brush cake over with the egg white or sieved/thinned apricot jam.
    3 Cut off one-third of Almond Paste. Dredge worktop with icing sugar and roll out remaining two-thirds of paste into a strip the depth of, and long enough to go round, the cake.
    4 Press Almond Paste on to sides of cake.
    5 Roll out remainder of paste into a circle, press on top of cake.
    6 Smooth, all joins with a knife or rolling pin, to give a level top with a sharp edge to all sides.
    7 Cover the greaseproof paper and leave to dry for about a week before decorating (if time permits).

Icing a Cake with Royal Icing:

1 Stand cake on icing table, a cake tin or inverted dinner plate.
    2 Using a palette knife or broad bladed knife, cover the entire cake with an even thickness of icing.
    3 For a rough surface effect, pull the icing up into peaks with the flat of the knife. Add decorations before the icing sets.
    4 For a smooth finish, level top and sides with a knife. If icing sticks to knife, dip into very hot water then shake to remove surplus moisture.
    5 Allow icing to harden, then secure cake to cake board with a little icing.
    6 Add piped decorations, using tinted icing for added effect.
    izzyhill Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2013, 01:40 AM
    Sorry, realised that my post above isn't an actual recipe just advice on sizes, baking and icing.
    If I find my book (you'll hear my 'whoop' of joy!) I will post again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help crumbling fruit cake [ 2 Answers ]

I have baked cakes for quite sometime and all of a sudden they have started to crumble when cutting. Any ideas

Friendship Cake [ 6 Answers ]

I have recipe for Friendship Cake but I don't have any starter anymore, Does anyone know how to make it? This is a great cake to give on the holidays. I sure would be thankful! Carol:D

Rock cake recipe [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone help please. I have lost my Bero recipe book and am living in Poland at the moment so can't get a new one. Does anyone have a recipe for rock cakes/rock buns, preferably the Bero recipe, but anyone would be good. Also, I used to have a recipe for rock cakes suitable for a diabetic and...

Cake for a party [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know a recipe for a sponge cake that I could use to make a huge cake for an engagement party?

View more questions Search