Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmgs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2006, 10:38 PM
    Shelf life of vitamins
    I have a bunch of vitamins that have no expiration date on the bottle. How long do vitamins generally last? I'm not sure if I should throw these away.
    8052048 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2007, 08:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tmgs
    I have a bunch of vitamins that have no expiration date on the bottle. How long do vitamins generally last? I'm not sure if I should throw these away.
    How long can you use vitamins after the expiration date.
    biki Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2008, 12:43 PM
    How long can you use vitamins after the expiration date?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2008, 02:43 PM
    Once they expire they are starting to lose most of the vitamins potency and have little effect anyway.
    To dispose of them You can ask how the pharmacy disposes of their drugs and if they do not throw them down the toilet/sink you can take them there to get rid of.
    Otherwise leave them in the bottle and wrap them up in messy garbage and bury in your garbage so kids, animals or garbage pickers don't bother with them.
    MissCherry2007 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2008, 01:14 AM

:d if the pills look discolored then the time you bought them or have a different shape smell or texture then they were when u bought them, they are old... :p
    harveycritic Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Mar 10, 2008, 08:30 AM
    Drug Expiration Dates - Do They Mean Anything?

With a splitting headache you reach into your medicine cabinet for some aspirin only to find the stamped expiration date on the bottle has passed - two years ago. So, do you take it or don't you? If you decide to take the aspirin will it be a fatal mistake or will you simply continue to suffer from the headache?

This is a dilemma many people face in some way or another. A column published in Pyschopharmacology Today offers some advice.

It turns out that the expiration date on a drug does stand for something, but probably not what you think it does. Since a law was passed in 1979, drug manufacturers are required to stamp an expiration date on their products. This is the date at which the manufacturer can still guarantee the full potency and safety of the drug.

Most of what is known about drug expiration dates comes from a study conducted by the Food and Drug Administration at the request of the military. With a large and expensive stockpile of drugs, the military faced tossing out and replacing its drugs every few years. What they found from the study is 90% of more than 100 drugs, both prescription and over-the-counter, were perfectly good to use even 15 years after the expiration date.

So the expiration date doesn't really indicate a point at which the medication is no longer effective or has become unsafe to use. Medical authorities state expired drugs are safe to take, even those that expired years ago. A rare exception to this may be tetracycline, but the report on this is controversial among researchers. It's true the effectiveness of a drug may decrease over time, but much of the original potency still remains even a decade after the expiration date. Excluding nitroglycerin, insulin, and liquid antibiotics, most medications are as long-lasting as the ones tested by the military. Placing a medication in a cool place, such as a refrigerator, will help a drug remain potent for many years.

Is the expiration date a marketing ploy by drug manufacturers, to keep you restocking your medicine cabinet and their pockets regularly? You can look at it that way. Or you can also look at it this way: The expiration dates are very conservative to ensure you get everything you paid for. And, really, if a drug manufacturer had to do expiration-date testing for longer periods it would slow their ability to bring you new and improved formulations.
    The next time you face the drug expiration date dilemma, consider what you've learned here. If the expiration date passed a few years ago and it's important that your drug is absolutely 100% effective, you might want to consider buying a new bottle. And if you have any questions about the safety or effectiveness of any drug, ask your pharmacist. He or she is a great resource when it comes to getting more information about your medications.
    batesdan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2009, 12:22 PM
    Comment on harveycritic's post
    Right on target. As a former deployed military officer drugs with expiration dates, aspirin etc worked well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dr. James or Vitamins USA [ 15 Answers ]

I would like to know if Dr. James caps are available in USA. I know we have to get them from Phi. Is it cheaper to get Dr. James from Phil than buying Glutathione caps in USA? Are there any Dr. James users who I can pool with to get caps to save money I shipping and all? Thanks

Water puddle on top shelf of Fridge [ 1 Answers ]

I have a kenmore fridge that recently started gathering water on the top shelf of the refrigerator section (top is freezer with an ice maker/bottom is fridge). I'm not sure if it's the ice maker leeking or if it's the seal on the door is needing to be replaced. Thank you for your assistance

Safe storing cheeze on the shelf? [ 3 Answers ]

Is it necessary for cheese to be refridgerated? Or is it okay for it to be shelfed?

Nutrition/Vitamins [ 17 Answers ]

I'm a very picky eater.. and I don't get enough iron or vitamins.. and I don't like to eat meat that much.. and I've been getting really dizzy.. and I've had to give blood because I almost fainted.. and I keep on getting really dizzy when I get up or when I start walking around.. and I'm not sure...

Shelf life of vitamins [ 1 Answers ]

What is the "shelf life" of vitamin E, also of "Omega-3" capsules? Is it, can it be useful or harmful to take same after expiry date of one year or more? Many thanks !

View more questions Search