Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KrysFL Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2009, 01:53 PM
    Covering/Shading AC Unit
    I have heard mixed reviews on whether the outside AC unit should be shaded and/or covered.

I live in FL and twice we have had to have wires replaced because they were completely rotted by the sun and then got too hot and blown a fuse.

Currently our unit is on the eastside of the house and there is no shade that covers it from the beating sun.

I have been told that covering the unit (building a shade canopy) will make it last longer as the sun's direct contact decreases the life of the outside unit.
    I understand that there needs to be enough room on the sides and the top to allow for proper airflow.

Any comments about this? Everything I read online has more to do with shading the surrounding air to increase efficiency but not really to increase longevity by keeping it out of the sun.

Your replies/thoughts are greatly appreciated! :)
    KrysFL Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2009, 01:54 PM

Sorry, I meant it is on the westside (not sure if this makes a difference of not).
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 25, 2009, 02:04 PM
    Actually all A/C units are designed to run with or without direct sunlight. The problem with shading is it is possible the air discharged from the unit will be recirculated and that is a BIG problem. My unit has sat in the sun since 1978 with no ill effects except I have to paint the unit a couple of times.

If the correct wire cable/cable cover was used the sun will have NO effect on it since it is sunlight approved material.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water color shading [ 1 Answers ]

How do I learn to shade using watercolors?

Covering carpet [ 3 Answers ]

I am moving into a new apartment and I have carpet phobia (fear of damaging carpet and having them take it out of my deposit). Obviously I cannot tear the carpet out, so I want to cover it from wall to wall. Only in the living room. So I am thinking of some sort of carpet protector that will last...

Drawing and Shading portraits [ 7 Answers ]

Ok - so I started drawing at 13, never took an art class in my life. I just started again, its probably been around 5 years since I've drawn anything. I'm OK , I mean drawing comes natural to me, but I can't seem to figure out the correct way to shade when drawing a portrait - can anyone help me on...

Skin covering eye [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 4 week-old kitten and she is constantly sneezing, has a runny nose and her left eye is watery. I took her to the vet and he said she had a head cold and prescribed some eye ointment. I have been using the ointment 3 times a day and her eye is still watery. Also it looks like the pink skin...

Shading when Printing E-mail [ 2 Answers ]

We are using Outlook Web Access. When my user signs into windows and e-mail she receives a shaded gray background when she prints. If I sign into the machine there is no background. Is there a setting that I am missing or could there be something wrong with her windows profile. (OS = Win2K)

View more questions Search