Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2008, 10:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cajoler
    Most of South America does not require a visa to visit
    Most of central america does not require a visa to visit

I thought Countries in South America DO require a visa if you are a visitor/tourist staying for fewer than 30 days (in some countries, 90 days) and it's an almost-automatic visa when you enter.

No problem getting one but you have to have one -

Or has that changed?
    mackdan2001 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2008, 08:32 AM
    So if you are a convicted felon you can't even go to visit places like canada or australia for a week or two at a time? Or is it that they won't allow you if you are trying to stay there long term?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2008, 08:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mackdan2001
    so if you are a convicted felon you can't even go to visit places like canada or australia for a week or two at a time? Or is it that they won't allow you if you are trying to stay there long term?

People with felony records cannot enter Canada at this time. Canadian Customs/Immigration can turn you around, deport you, in some cases hold your car, IF they run you through the computer and locate your record.

I don't know about Australia.

This is why I recommend that you check with wherever you are visiting FIRST, before you begin your trip, rather than showing up and being denied entry, automatic visa or not.
    mackdan2001 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2008, 08:46 AM
    What about cruises right now? We called and they don't require a passport until June 1 2009 if you are traveling by sea to places like mexico and the bahamas. Are they going to do some type of record search when you get ready to get on the cruise boat or when you dock at your port? Sorry so many questions, just curious because we are thinkig of taking a cruise in October.

My husband has a felony on his record, but he took the one felony instead of 2 misdemeanors, because his lawyer said he could get it reduced to a misdemeanor instead. It is in that process right now, however until then the felony is still on his record..
    cajoler Posts: 7, Reputation: -1

Sep 11, 2008, 12:14 PM
    It is no problem , you will not be asked anywhere for that kind of information
    theshores Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2008, 05:33 PM
    I have been doing a lot of research on this and see that passports are available to felons. However, I wanted to ask those that said they had traveled to the caribbean how did the trip go?? How were you treated in the U.S. when u returned? I've tried to research Jamaica to see if they have restrictions on letting felons into the country and have not found anything that says they don't allow it. Does anyone with a record know for sure? Planning a June trip to the Caribbean...
    relentlesstech Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2008, 06:20 AM
    I was convicted of felony credit card fraud in 1992, and was able to get my passport right after, BUT could not leave the country until 1998, when I went to Amsterdam - And because I was a convicted felon, Customs had a field day with me - So, you CAN travel, as a felon, as long as you have the passport, but don't be surprised to get hassled a bit more than normal...
    C-O-P Posts: 44, Reputation: 0

Nov 12, 2008, 10:34 AM
    Hey, relentless - please tell me about how you were treated when you came back and especially how they know that you were a convicted felon. I am on parole now and considering trying to go and come to a non0visa requiring country. I really am interested to hear about what they knew and how they knew it about you. Thanks.
    deepseadvr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2008, 10:11 AM
    If you have been convicted of a felony and you are on parole you cannot have a passport. Once you have completed your obligation you can get a passport. You also get your right to vote back. You basically get your citizenship back but with a black eye and you cannot own or possess a firearm. So yes, you are free to travel. I had two felonies and I have a passport and have been able to travel to Europe and Asia as well as the Caribbean and Mexico. I have never been hassled or singled out so maybe it is just the way you present yourself. If you look and act like a felon... you will be treated accordingly.
    C-O-P Posts: 44, Reputation: 0

Nov 28, 2008, 10:46 AM

a. being on parole does NOT disqualify you from getting a passport. It is not even one of the things they check for at DoS. Also, you can vote in many states as soon as you are no longer incarcerated. As for firearms, you have to petition - usually after 5 years. I know about both the passport and voting from personal experience - I got one and have voted. I have done both while on parole.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

International travel for convicted felons [ 41 Answers ]

My friend is a convicted felon. I know he can't travel to canada until five years past the date of his crime or the end of his sentence (whichever is later)... But what about other countries? In particular europe? France, uk, etc. Will be denied entry? At the border? He already has a...

Future for felons [ 12 Answers ]

I am in my early 20's and have concerns that my felony for drug possession when I was 18 will come back to haunt me in my pursuit of an engineering career. I was wondering if anyone knew how difficult it is for an engineer to be hired with a felony conviction. Should I choose my college major...

Convicted Felons and travel [ 1 Answers ]

Can a convicted felon travel to the Caribbean? If so, is a passport required or will a certified birth certificate do?

Passport [ 2 Answers ]

I am going abroad in February and need to find out what steps do I take to change my passport to my new married name. I do not have much time to get this done since I just found out about this trip. Thanks for any information. PatS

Do I need a passport? [ 5 Answers ]

We are planning a trip to Memphis, from Canada. Is there a law yet, to have to have a passport. We are going in March. Do I need to do this?

View more questions Search